Author Topic: Upgraded Routefinder  (Read 3253 times)

T0mislav

Upgraded Routefinder
« Topic Start: June 14, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
At the moment Routefinder can be used to find the shortest way to some destination ONLY from the one's present location and ONLY for the size of unit the one has.

It would be nice to have some page where (similar to Military Advisor where one can check prices for different types and sizes of units) one could chose between:

1. "Simple Routefinder" where one could imput:
    - Starting location
    - Target location
    - Size of unit
ant the Routefinder would find shortest distance and estimate the travel time.

2. "Build entire Route" option which would have:
    - blank box where one can enter the unit size
    - Drop-down menu (similar to existing one) where one could chose starting location among all existing regions on the continent
    - Drop-down menu for 1st destination where one would get option to chose ONLY between regions which are bordering whit the region which is set as the starting location
    - Buttons:
         - "Add Next Destination" - which if clicked would open new drop-down menu where one would get option to chose between regions which are bordering with the region which is set as previous destination (one should be able to add as much "next destinations" as he likes)
         - "Calculate Route" - which when clicked would return:
                - total distance on the route
                - distances between all individual segments of the route ("starting location" to "1st destination", "1st destination" to "2nd destination" ... "(n-1) destination" to "(n) destination")
                - total estimated travel time for unit of imputed size
                - estimated travel times for all individual segments of the route ("starting location" to "1st destination", "1st destination" to "2nd destination" ... "(n-1) destination" to "(n) destination") for unit of imputed size

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded Routefinder
« Reply #1: June 14, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
As a feature request, this should be posted in the appropriate subforum, and follow its formatting rules.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 14, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
What about squeezing in a set route option there too?
Where your advisor can tell you the quickest route to a certain point, you can now click on set route and you no longer have to keep checking travel every day/half day to move after arriving or update next destination.

I guess this has been suggested before at some point(s), is it feasible?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 14, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
What about squeezing in a set route option there too?
Where your advisor can tell you the quickest route to a certain point, you can now click on set route and you no longer have to keep checking travel every day/half day to move after arriving or update next destination.

I guess this has been suggested before at some point(s), is it feasible?

As in, put in a region halfway across the continent, click one button, and then go on vacation for a week and come back when your character is at his destination?

Nope. Not now, not ever. This is intended to be an interactive game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 14, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »

This is intended to be an interactive game.

Yes, and also playable for different levels of activity.
It can help less active characters to catch up with their army or stay out of danger.
On the other hand I also believe realms have to find ways to adjust to less active players not the other way around.
Usually the problem is the way armies/realms are managed.
Either way, it can be very helpful for players who play on lower gear.
Besides I don't think it would limit interaction between players significantly, other factors have far more influence.
They might miss possible guilds or temples in the region, but they still get most of their interaction at their destination or point of departure anyway.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 14, 2017, 10:40:14 PM »
I said "not ever," and I meant "not ever."
Timothy Collett

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 15, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
I said "not ever," and I meant "not ever."

Ok, clear. Would've liked to see a good example of how this would significantly impact interaction in game though.
What are the great factors that increase interaction in game? (apart from the players them selves)
Its perhaps the most important aspect of the game, interaction between players.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 15, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
You can already preset a next destination, so that covers a whole day's worth of movement, at worst, and up to a week's worth of travel.

Auto-pilot would dissuade people from logging in (at least daily), because "it'll be a while before I arrive anyways". It would also reduce interaction because people could just plot destination, and then not update the path along the way, because everyone else is already pre-set, forcing the military leaders to just go ahead with what was decided ahead of time.

I don't really see how this would be beneficial for inactive players anyways. If you miss a turn and start traveling late, auto-pilot won't give you back that lag time. It would remain the marshal's job to make sure the army doesn't spread over too many regions and, when it starts to stretch too much, issue a pause to let people catch up. Auto-pilot would even reduce his ability to issue pauses. And don't forget that many things can interrupt travel or affect travel times, and auto-pilot is likely to just make people less reactive to them. The guy with 10 cavalry, 5 scouts, and vanguard settings on auto-travel for hundreds of miles will likely arrive much faster than the guy who has 100 infantry, no scouts, and forgot to switch out of sentry mode, likely increasing the army stretch. If you miss 50% of your turns due to not logging in, then you'll still miss about 50% of the battles, because you didn't set travel on time. Auto-travel wouldn't improve this the least.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

T0mislav

« Reply #8: June 15, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
Ok, clear. Would've liked to see a good example of how this would significantly impact interaction in game though.
What are the great factors that increase interaction in game? (apart from the players them selves)
Its perhaps the most important aspect of the game, interaction between players.

Autopilot option could have some benefits... but there are much more negative things it would drag - it is simply bad bad bad idea.
Many players are already playing battlemaster more as strategy game being interested only in battling aspect of the game (not communicating at all but only moving their units according to orders) then as roleplay game as it is (where players are supposed to simulate medieval atmosphere trough the interaction among each other... where fighting battles is only one segment of the game (which some realms even can tend to minimize) and definitely not the entire game (what some players are tending to enforce)).
Autopilot option would significantly support turning battlemaster fully into strategy game... it is the fact that many players who tend to see battlemaster only as strategy game are already Marshals, so if autopilot option is implemented you would in no time start seeing Marshal orders in form: "Army, set autopilot to region x (which is 3-4 days distanced)" and more and more players would start loging in once per 3-4 days when their character arrives to battling/refit location.

If autopilot option is added, there could simply also be added option for Marshals to be able to start/cancel traveling for all members of their army so players would not even need to bother to log in at all...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:32:45 PM by T0mislav »

T0mislav

« Reply #9: June 15, 2017, 11:35:21 PM »
As a feature request, this should be posted in the appropriate subforum, and follow its formatting rules.

Sorry... missed to notice it... will do so.