Author Topic: Share scout reports with whole realm  (Read 4893 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Share scout reports with whole realm
« Topic Start: June 23, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
    Title: Share scout reports with whole realm

Summary/Details: Either make it so that scout reports are no longer just shared with one's army, but with all armies or the whole realm, or at least give the option to the scouter to share it with either whole realm or just his army.

Benefits: The point of sharing the scout reports only with the army was, I believe, to reduce the ability of the general to overmeddle in the armies' affairs, making marshals rubber stampers. I think those days are long gone, and that this mechanic discourages devolution more than it encourages it, since only a one-army force (typically led by a general/marshal) will have access to all of the realm's scout reports, while realms that spread the military leadership over multiple armies will be faced with the dilemma of either partial information, or sending scout reports to the whole realm by linking them manually. I don't really think there's any reason to limit the scout report sharing to just one army anymore, but if there's desire to keep that, having the option to share to the whole realm would be appreciated. Armies often operate in the same general area, and I don't really see a reason to force people to scout the same regions twice for two armies to have the big picture (or to force them to spam the "to realm" channel, barely any better).

Possible Downsides or Exploits: The potential return of meddler generals, I guess? But I really don't think we are "there" any more. With the declined player base, most realms don't really have the nobles for multiple armies anyways, and I don't feel like this behavior has been a problem in quite some time. Besides, such people could already order people to spam the "to realm" channel anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Share scout reports with whole realm
« Reply #1: June 23, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
There are generals who aren't their own marshals/vice-marshals anymore? 0.0

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 24, 2017, 03:28:19 AM »
Possibly. I know I'm a general/marshal, and I really hate having only half the scout reports I had before ordering the creation of a second army. It's not even that I want to meddle, it's just that I have less scout reports to use myself, given we mostly operate close to the capital.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Purrcious

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 24, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »
Sorry if I sound clueless, I'm new. But is this the same as copying the scribe code to your whole realm and turning it to a button or a different whole thing?
Calm like a Tiger, Quick like a Cheetah, Fierce like a Lion,
Silent like a Puma, Agile like a Jaguar, Lazy like a House Cat!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 24, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
Copying the link and sending it to the whole realm is how things used to be done. To make things less tedious, and I think to incentivize the use of armies, army members now have a clickable link on their scout reports that states "share scout report with your army" (or something along those lines), which opens a little 2 second confirmation window and sends the link to the army members.

The old method is more laborious, one has to select the link, copy it, click on messages, click on send to realm (not to mention scrolling to find the right link), click on the text box, paste, and then click to send. Often it involves shifting through multiple tabs, back and forth, to get all the links in one message.

I don't really feel like limiting the scout reports to only one's army, when clicking the link, really yields any benefit these days. I'd really link for my scout reports to be available to the other marshal, and for his to be available to me. Getting scout reports in a timely fashion is nowhere near as common as it used to be.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 25, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
I have two comments on this.

1. I fully support sharing scout reports with whole realm instead of only army. Playing in a realm who has 2 armies now, this has become a very irritating work.

2. There is a whole 'message attachments' overhaul which will make it a lot more easier to attach scout reports to messages. This is something Delvin has been working on, but can still take a while. So no idea if this feature will be tackled by the overhaul. But I believe that we should implement a 'share to whole realm' kind of feature straight away.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 26, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
Thanks.

The less clicks the better. Especially with people relying more and more on cellphones, on which copying scout links is practically impossible (or at least, incredibly tedious).

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 26, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
Thanks.

The less clicks the better. Especially with people relying more and more on cellphones, on which copying scout links is practically impossible (or at least, incredibly tedious).

Preaching to the choir. I usually refrain from doing any scout reports on mobile phone and just think 'someone else will do it.'

I'm going to look into how I can add this and maybe request to have it pushed straight through instead of waiting for next update of live.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:05:26 PM by Wimpie »

Purrcious

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 27, 2017, 02:33:38 AM »
How about clicking share brings out a list of option.

* To a particular army
* To the whole realm
* To a specific group or guild
Calm like a Tiger, Quick like a Cheetah, Fierce like a Lion,
Silent like a Puma, Agile like a Jaguar, Lazy like a House Cat!

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 27, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
How about clicking share brings out a list of option.

* To a particular army
* To the whole realm
* To a specific group or guild

Because, like I said, how scribe notes are going to be shared is going to change due to an overhaul of code which is going on. I'm willing to insert a new link to share scout reports to the realm, but I'm not going to add a whole lot more of functionality if it's going to be covered soon-ish anyway.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 27, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
Simplest would probably just be to change "to army" to "to realm", instead of adding extra options, but I'm mostly guessing here.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 27, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Adding functionality takes no more effort than replacing functionality—indeed, it usually takes less, because you don't have to check and make sure you haven't removed too little or too much and left bugs in.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 28, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
I guess that's a good point.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 28, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
Since adding a link or changing the existing link to just share to the realm instead of the Army isn't as straightforward as y'all think, I've proposed to really focus on getting that message-attachment branch ready for implementation.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 28, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
Since adding a link or changing the existing link to just share to the realm instead of the Army isn't as straightforward as y'all think, I've proposed to really focus on getting that message-attachment branch ready for implementation.

Man your code is arcane y'all.  ;D