Author Topic: Sink the Colonies  (Read 31123 times)

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sink the Colonies
« Reply #45: July 14, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
I am very anti realm destruction and it saddens me whenever it happens. Especially in cases where you know it only happened because one side was being stubborn...

Realms are destroyed. That's part of the game.

MT was originally the dream of Cathal's enemies, built on the ruins of his old ally Alebad, and I moved him there on a whim. That whim's paid for itself many times over. Twice leading MT against alliances taught me much about BM's mechanics that I wouldn't have learned otherwise and if I were more interested in winning than in making the game interesting for other players I could probably pull off some serious weirdness. Even Tom expressed surprise when we made the Drenga colony self-sustaining as the game's mechanics are biased against realms being viable without a city.

As for stubborness? All the Dubhaines have their own distinct character flaws and this happens to be one of Cathal's. In his defence, you'd be stubborn if you had regular visions and believed yourself chosen by the Gods to save the world from an apocalypse. However Cathal's never destroyed a realm or sought to do so, and when in a position of strength has always offered his enemies better terms than circumstances required - often better terms than if they were the victors.

If Cathal had to make his decisions over I suspect he still wouldn't let OT march past Alebad's walls without resisting no matter the cost. OT has the blood of too many other realms on their hands to be trusted, had an alliance with Wetham which made it unsafe, and Aren was not in a position to mount as meaningful a defence.