Author Topic: Sink the Colonies  (Read 31124 times)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Sink the Colonies
« Topic Start: June 25, 2017, 12:53:25 AM »
Anyone have a good reason not to?

Other than "I have a semi decent gold farm there" or "Outer Tilog still has two more realms to go before their dominion is complete"?

Holla at me if so.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
Re: Sink the Colonies
« Reply #1: June 25, 2017, 02:23:15 AM »
Because we have just enough islands to fill maximum noble count and some people actually enjoy playing there.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 25, 2017, 02:56:30 AM »
But why
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 25, 2017, 03:34:28 AM »
But why

Because other people, astonishingly, have different priorities and different likes and dislikes than you.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 25, 2017, 03:40:45 AM »
People can already have a character on each of the islands, if you sink another one then the fourth noble slot will be worthless. As it is now people can't even bring an adventurer up to a noble either without killing or pausing another of their characters.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 25, 2017, 05:03:55 AM »
Because other people, astonishingly, have different priorities and different likes and dislikes than you.

Yes indeed. Holla at me if so.

I can understand the mechanics of noble slots but I still have yet to see an actual reason why colonies is a worthwhile continent. Edit: currently.

Please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:19:32 AM by JDodger »

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 25, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »
Tilog is a silly place for people who like to be silly towards each other, which makes the interactions there a lot more enjoyable for me than some of the other continents. There's no real reason to sink the colonies.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 25, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
One turn a day also appeals more to a number of the people there. Apart from brief periods with other characters, the Colonies has been my favourite place to be for many years.

The balance of power is tricky, as once one realm gets to a certain size it does seem to dominate, but if other realms work together, that balance can swiftly be regained (and is generally what is wanted by everyone). It's not actually that long ago that Outer Tilog thought it was going to be wiped out.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 25, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Rest assured, the Colonies are going nowhere. Sinking the Colonies would be as big a mistake as we made with the monsters on western Dwilight. Not again.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 25, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
Yeah; it would piss off a bunch of people for effectively zero gain. There's no way we could get the density of other islands up by sinking the Colonies.

So, JDodger, let me turn this around on you.

Why do you think sinking the Colonies would be a good thing? What would BattleMaster gain from it?

Because that's always what we have to consider when doing something drastic like sinking an island. It's never, ever a matter of "is there a good reason not to?" first. Because there's always a good reason not to: the enjoyment of the people playing there, some of whom have had characters there going back a decade and a half.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 25, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
One really does need to be literal to the point of obtuseness in 2017.

The point of this topic is to highlight how horribly stagnant the colonies are and have been due to the OT super alliance.

Truth be told I like the colonies for a lot of reasons but they suck right now and as usual in BM the few players who have a desire to change things dont have the numbers or the resources to change anything.

This topic was meant to segue into a conversation on how to change that.

Segue.

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 25, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
suck right now
See, even if they maybe suck right now, that is not a reason to sink the island is it? They will not be as they are now permanently.

And while I can't really speak for how enjoyable it is currently, I somewhat doubt that it really sucks so much.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 25, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »
I dunno two realms have been helplessly roflstomped to death recently, there was a crappy imbalanced war in the south that would have resulted in a third if i hadnt surrendered, pretty much cant sneeze without risking the wrath of an invincible alliance. its a pretty bad situation.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 25, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
1. If you want to start a discussion on what's not good about the Colonies, or how things would need to be changed, don't give the thread the title 'Sing the Colonies'.

2. If you don't enjoy playing there, just.. don't play there? Obviously there's a lot of other people who do enjoy the island..
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 25, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
I dunno two realms have been helplessly roflstomped to death recently, there was a crappy imbalanced war in the south that would have resulted in a third if i hadnt surrendered, pretty much cant sneeze without risking the wrath of an invincible alliance. its a pretty bad situation.

Two realms stomped to death recently? We've just lost Minas Thingamewhatsit, there hasn't been another one recently (depends on your view of recently I guess). Plus, Minas Thingamewhatsit's demise was assisted by the very poor diplomacy as many realms involved in the conflict tried to give the realm a way out and each time had it thrown back in their faces...

Outer Tilog will be downsizing soon. I don't like other realms feeling they need to go along with us (as I didn't like it when Lukon was in an even more powerful position in the past (which brought about the Senate and various self imposed rules on the Island).

This time next year, I'm sure we'll be complaining about someone else being a dominant realm, but we'll deal with it as we have done before and ensure the Colonies stay fun for all (who want it to be fun)
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...