Author Topic: Sink the Colonies  (Read 31133 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sink the Colonies
« Reply #45: July 11, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
It's upsetting when a realm is destroyed because the realm they were fighting refused to give them a realistic offer of peace.

It's "death by stupidity" when a realm is destroyed because they won't accept a realistic offer of peace. Frankly, I think that kind of stubbornness is one of the worst things for the game, and I have no sympathy for the leadership of such realms, and little for the rank and file unless they're being actively misled by their leaders.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 11, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
Outer Tilog: we don't want to fight you, we just want to walk across your lands to take some petty revenge on your ally.
Minas Thingamewhatsit: no, we won't allow that, you must fight us if you want to go through...

Even when the realm knew it was on its last legs, it refused the simple thing which would have removed Outer Tilog from the fight...
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 11, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
and put outer tilog into... you know what never mind
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 11, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »
and put outer tilog into... you know what never mind

Again, people tend to project their own ways into other realms as to what they expect... We really did only want a petty revenge against Aren (causing a bit of damage, nothing they wouldn't be able to recover from). Anything anyone else says or implies is just plain wrong.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 11, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
right except... never mind
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 11, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »
right except... never mind

If you're not actually going to say anything useful, it's probably best not to bother saying anything...

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 11, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
what did you... oh forget it

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 14, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
I am very anti realm destruction and it saddens me whenever it happens. Especially in cases where you know it only happened because one side was being stubborn...

Realms are destroyed. That's part of the game.

MT was originally the dream of Cathal's enemies, built on the ruins of his old ally Alebad, and I moved him there on a whim. That whim's paid for itself many times over. Twice leading MT against alliances taught me much about BM's mechanics that I wouldn't have learned otherwise and if I were more interested in winning than in making the game interesting for other players I could probably pull off some serious weirdness. Even Tom expressed surprise when we made the Drenga colony self-sustaining as the game's mechanics are biased against realms being viable without a city.

As for stubborness? All the Dubhaines have their own distinct character flaws and this happens to be one of Cathal's. In his defence, you'd be stubborn if you had regular visions and believed yourself chosen by the Gods to save the world from an apocalypse. However Cathal's never destroyed a realm or sought to do so, and when in a position of strength has always offered his enemies better terms than circumstances required - often better terms than if they were the victors.

If Cathal had to make his decisions over I suspect he still wouldn't let OT march past Alebad's walls without resisting no matter the cost. OT has the blood of too many other realms on their hands to be trusted, had an alliance with Wetham which made it unsafe, and Aren was not in a position to mount as meaningful a defence.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 14, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
You pulled a real nasty plan out for Aren, for sure. Shock and awe indeed.

Lots of reasons why Dodgers dont trust Ketchums but that is a House they respect too.

Whatever happened to Traitor King Ash in Oritolon?
There were some voices of claiming Alowca city as second city of Oritolon, but I cannot imagine Colonial Senate letting Oritolon gets away with it. That power "every realm will attack other realm who hold second city" strikes too much fear into our characters, that much for sure >:(
In turns, Ash saw the only way Oritolon can move forward from its present, is by his stepping down as its Ruler. After all, new Ruler usually come with new stuffs. Holding up Oritolon inevitable will lead to its decline state, and besides that IC reasons, I have OOC reason as well, I am having too many Rulers characters right now and could not keep up much :)

Ash is actually planning to retire after this, he is the oldest character in my characters list. As for Aren, the Abaka claim by Ash is the only valid point I could find for Oritolon war with Aren. How did it sound fighting to claim a land in the name of Oritolon King? :P

Stuff
I agree stuffs said on Cathal. Which is why Ash made the Oritolon-Aren war 1 to 1 and he truly believed Cathal words that MT would not join in. Ash did have another surprise should MT turned from its word though, but that was not to be. Towards end of the Oritolon-Aren war, Ash planned another surprise before he steps down. Let it not be said that Ash is really full of surprises even for those who thought they know and understand him by that point his surprise is revealed. So Ash stepping down is to ensure he keeps his legacy intact as well, though the new Orit Ruler has her own ways.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 14, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
[Whine mode on] Yes but 'my' realm was destroyed by multi cheaters
MOST tragic moment in BM  :'( :'(
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 14, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
[Whine mode on] Yes but 'my' realm was destroyed by multi cheaters
MOST tragic moment in BM  :'( :'(

One of the more annoying aspects of BM is the sporadic outbreaks of multi cheats, the others being OOC clans and players who get their kicks causing strife but aren't interested in sticking around for the fallout.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 14, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
I agree stuffs said on Cathal. Which is why Ash made the Oritolon-Aren war 1 to 1 and he truly believed Cathal words that MT would not join in. Ash did have another surprise should MT turned from its word though, but that was not to be. Towards end of the Oritolon-Aren war, Ash planned another surprise before he steps down. Let it not be said that Ash is really full of surprises even for those who thought they know and understand him by that point his surprise is revealed. So Ash stepping down is to ensure he keeps his legacy intact as well, though the new Orit Ruler has her own ways.

Strategically a pivot against Oritolon to save Aren and then allow both realms to defend Alebad would have made a lot of sense, and I figured out plans for doing that which weren't dissimilar to OT's assault on Alebad, but Cathal was having none of it :o

If Oritolon has the courage to stand against the Senate and retain Alebad I'll probably bring Cathal back to assist on whichever side I think will add more fun to the resulting war. But in the meantime it's nice having a break from him and playing my other characters again, including Aoifa who's administering the Dark Citadel. Trying to get anything done within the financial constraints the Assassins have to work with is quite a challenge but I hope by the time I'm finished that it will once more be the stronghold I remember from years back.