Author Topic: FEI Newb seeks counsel  (Read 24027 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: FEI Newb seeks counsel
« Reply #45: July 14, 2011, 01:58:36 AM »
I find it very hard to believe that out of 25+ nobles in Aenilia, every other noble "never talked" and you were the only one who was "active and dedicated" enough to award positions to. Seems pretty damn arrogant, if you ask me, that you think your characters were the only ones good enough to handle the positions. Pure, undiluted selfishness.

As far as I'm concerned there's absolutely no justification for giving yourself five positions unless your realm is a ghost town. Yeah, yeah, 75% of your nobles don't talk, but every realm is like that. Arcaea is the most active realm I've ever been in, yet the large majority of nobles don't talk either. Your job as ruler is to get people talking and try to promote talent in other nobles, not hoard all the positions for yourself. If you couldn't think of a single other noble in a realm with 25 people who'd make a competent duke, general or even marshal, then Aenilia must be a pretty piss-poor realm.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 14, 2011, 02:16:07 AM »
From what I hear, there are days where the only in realm messages are RP's from the two Duchesses. The few characters I've managed to talk to in GA express the opinion that it is a waste of time being visible and active, as it feels like the realm is controlled by an elite 4-5 players and no one else can advance. The real question is which came first, the lack of activity that lead to a few dedicated players dominating the realm, or the few players dominating leading to a quiet realm. I wasn't on the continent when it all appeared to be established so I have no real idea.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 14, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
They don't have cat ears, the wolf steed is not mystical but instead is akin to a very smart, intuitive dog, and I have not watched enough anime to be able to comment accurately on whether their actions fit some sort of theme. One enjoys baking cookies and surrounding herself with pillows, while the other one enjoys training with staff, sword, and daggers. The only recurring event that I recall which might resemble a theme is that the latter used to enjoy sneaking up on the former to surprise-greet her with flying tackle-hugs.

.......... (>_>)

Was this honestly a defense?

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 15, 2011, 01:07:44 AM »
What you're suggesting is that I should have shared the responsibilities and fun with others, which is a matter with which I agree, both OOC and IC, but why should I have given positions to people who just simply never talk? Or worse yet, give positions to people who suddenly talk when the positions open up? If you're a dedicated and active noble, making yourself heard consistently over time by sharing your opinions and insights, then the positions will come to you, and that's the way it should be. Nobles shouldn't be awarded for not contributing.

100% always been behind this school of thought. It's bad enough when lordships end up in the hands of silent players who refuse to engage with the realm or general team play. Why would anyone want to throw council & duchy keys to those types as well?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 15, 2011, 01:11:29 AM »
Because position hoarding only adds to the sentiments that the realm is ruled by a small clique and that everyone else is obsolete and/or expendable. One complaint I've heard once too often is 'Why would I bother trying to get promoted, the top spots are always passed around between the same people anyway?'

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 15, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »
Because position hoarding only adds to the sentiments that the realm is ruled by a small clique and that everyone else is obsolete and/or expendable. One complaint I've heard once too often is 'Why would I bother trying to get promoted, the top spots are always passed around between the same people anyway?'

Because these people might just be hogging the titles while waiting for someone who gives a damn to show up. I've taken titles on many occasions without really wanting them but because the only people who campaigned, if any, were either completely incompetent or had obvious seditious ambitions. I usually later stepped down whenever a worthy candidate presented itself.

Another thing might be that one *wants* some of the titles while at the same time not finding anyone for the rest. For example, I might want to be ruler and/or duke in order to be "the man" in the realm, without any ambition for the other title, but if the only candidate for the banker position is from a family known to repeatedly steal gold from the realm or the only general candidate a person who was marshal for a long period but never bothered giving orders (or gave really bad ones), then you may be inclined to take these extra positions in addition to your favored positions.

There are so many realms in BM that work so differently... If you don't like how power is spread in your realm, nothing is stopping you from joining one of these realms that don't allow more than 1 title per person.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 15, 2011, 03:33:40 AM »
There's a Ryo Ohki (Seriously that's the character's name. For those who don't know, that would be the cabbit spaceship from Tenchi <Whatever>) in Arcaea who uses Japanese honorifics...

Well, I mean, we gave up on strict RP form for FEI a long time ago, and it's hardly SMA so...I guess we could just throw up our hands and say "Screw it, they made Spice and Wolf into an anime for two seasons, and that's 'Medieval' enough. Let's just do something like that lol."

And so a wolfgirl appears as a pagan goddess avatar and people act greedy over gold. Well, actually that would make sense even in BM's context, as long as the pagan goddess avatar isn't actually a character but this referenced NPC entity...

I'm pretty sure Spice and Wolf is getting a third season ;)   And lets face it, that series is more medieval than 90% of the RP from any realm I've ever played in for the last 5 years.

I think FEI is probably the most fun island for RP's I've ever played on - weird, quirky, and sometimes downright strange but at least it keeps people playing and interested.   The mass RP's that use to go on between Nighthelm and Soliferum alone kept me playing for a long time.    I rarely hand out RP medals outside of the FEI - most people dont' bother to put in any effort or time, with the exception of Dwilight on occasion.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 15, 2011, 06:37:46 AM »
I rarely hand out RP medals outside of the FEI - most people dont' bother to put in any effort or time, with the exception of Dwilight on occasion.

Maybe it's time to bring back a heavy RP island? I think SMA accomplishes this somewhat, it keeps an RP atmosphere but doesn't oft result in a ton of actual RP's.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 16, 2011, 02:35:45 AM »
Maybe it's time to bring back a heavy RP island? I think SMA accomplishes this somewhat, it keeps an RP atmosphere but doesn't oft result in a ton of actual RP's.

FEI is fine the way it is, as is Dwilight. 

Either a new island, or sink some of the boring old ones. . . *coughs*  :D  Or both.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 16, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
There are no boring islands. If you're bored on an island, then you're not a good fit for the island. Move to another one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 18, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
There are times where Islands have been BORING. No one can use the excuse "you just have to get involved" when there is NOTHING to get involved in. Fronen, for example. Dull. Talked to people who play there, same opinion. Not a whole island, but a sample.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 18, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
So, pick one of your former enemies that you still don't like, and a party in one of their lord's wine cellars. Make it a surprise party. And make sure he provides the wine.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 18, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
Fronen, for example. Dull.

Tru dat.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: July 18, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
If you've got religion on your side they don't even have to be old enemies.  "I'm sorry I had to butcher your household staff, but we were afraid they would risk thier immortal souls by rejecting the baptism we gave them this morning when we were sacking your wine cellar.  They're in heaven now, hoping for you to see the light."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: July 20, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »
There are times where Islands have been BORING. No one can use the excuse "you just have to get involved" when there is NOTHING to get involved in. Fronen, for example. Dull. Talked to people who play there, same opinion. Not a whole island, but a sample.

Stuff is happening in Fronen, but I suspect it's decided by very few players, who either don't care enough or have the time to share it with everyone else. It's not the same since the Blood Cult left, but I doubt the public scene was ever all that exciting.

Try other realms. I, for one, am actively trying to get people involved. To my dismay, most newcomers I attract later don't really care for replying to any of my letters to them. They set their estates and follow the army, but can't seem to be arsed for anything more than that... I'd love some competent and active knights, just stop by whenever.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron