Author Topic: Fire and Flame - a pirate lovestory (Smiddich & Gia) EC  (Read 2689 times)

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Smiddich took the rabbit stew and picked meat off the bone. Rabbit was not his favorite, but this was hearty and hot and not unwelcome. The mead was smooth and far too drinkable.

He and Gia joshed each other over war stories, and the pups even ventured closer when they thought the pirate lord was near the end of his bowl and they might get to lick the remains. He shoved one playfully (and gingerly) away as she got too interested.

Over nearby, he heard his men joking in a ribald manner, and he pricked his ear. "Excuse me, my dear", he said, and Gia nodded as he took his leave.

His band of pirates, two in particular, were having somewhat of a joke, falling over each other in laughter.

"What's so funny?", asked Smiddich with a smile.
"Oh.. it's nothing, your lordship", said the pirate.
"No, no", said Sir Smiddich, "You will indulge me, please!"
"Only, we were joking", said the pirate, "That Lady Gia was somewhat like a cannon."
"Clad in iron", said one fellow,
"Fire at one end!", said the other with a grin,
"And if she goes off, you better get out of her way!", they both laughed, falling over each other in red faced drunkenness.

"Very funny!", laughed Smiddich, though it didn't reach his eyes.

He stepped forward and with all of his weight, lent his fist to the first fellows jaw. It cracked! and he spiraled to the ground, thoroughly unconscious.

The second fellow slipped backwards, retreating on his hands and feet as pirates scurried and Smiddich drew his sabre. Backed up against a tree, the second pirate could only gibber as the Queensman advanced on him.

His sabre in the fellows gut stopped him cold, "You shall not speak thusly of Lady Gia again. Do I make myself... perfectly... clear?", he said.

"Yes, yes, my lord, yes", moaned the pirate as Smiddich leaned on the sabre, penetrating the flesh of the fellows stomach. He left it there for several agonizing seconds before withdrawing it with disgust.

"Go about your business", he snapped, wiping the blade on a cloth before snapping the sword back into its scabbard.

Stephanie Kuhn

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Marches were usually disorganized, hulking affairs. Gia had sometimes lost track of parts of her unit because they became separated in the columns and marched with friends from other units for the duration. She had been watching for Smiddich in the mass of soldiers moving. She was surprised at how relieved she was when she saw his unit make it's way to into Aeng. Smiddich was there, but he did not look well. She had assumed his armor offered more protection. But the dingy white and very red dressing he wore around his wound told a different story. A solid torso shot. A dangerous wound.

"Malcom" she summoned her chief healer. "get your potions and the special bandages I need you" she told him nodding toward the pirate knight.
"I'll be right back" he replied. Malcom had pulled her back from the next world twice, birthed Lupa's pups and bravely went to assist Andross's father Leatho. Even though Gia knew he was a little afraid of the assassin. Gia changed from her armor to a jerkin and had the smithy start working on it's repair.

Gia and Malcom went to Smiddich's tent after his men had, had a chance to make camp. She could see the worry in their faces. These men loved their lord and were worried for him. Lupa and the female pup who guarded Smiddich came along too. The two of them sat themselves on either side of the tent door like giant furry sentries. Off setting the human sentries who edged a short distance away. Gia paused outside "lord Smiddich" she called "I have come with a little help to bind your wounds"  She heard a muffled sound from inside and entered.

Her green eyed settled on his battered form. She smiled gently at him. "that dirty dressing needs changing, "I brought black bandages" she paused grinning at him "it'll worry your men less if they can't tell you're bleeding" She winked at him.

Malcom inspected the wound. "well there's no sign of infection" he said. "which is very good all this needs is a little salve to keep it that way, a fresh dressing and sometime to heal" He looked at Smiddich "try not to overexert  you're self lord, and no drinking until this knits. Drinking hampers healing" He said sternly. He stood and handed the items to Gia. "I'm sure you won't mind if I go about my other charges lady?" he asked with a twinkle in his eye. 

Gia gave him a wry smile "no, not a bit. I think I can handle this bit of healing. Thank you my friend"  Malcom bowed to Smiddich nodded to Gia and left.  Gia knelt to carefully dab the salve around the edges of the wound...... "no drinking?" she said in mock dismay "whatever shall we do instead?" She teased him.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
"Well", said Sir Smiddich through gritted teeth, "That all depends by what your sawbones means by 'no overexertion', my dear".

The salve was cooling and he could tell she was trying to be gentle; the wound was puckered and pale from having been wrapped tightly in bandage for many days. He'd been in and out of consciousness during that time, and the letters and reports from his comrades had stacked up.

"Smoke?", he asked her with a grin, digging into his jacket pocket. There was a slim paper packet lined with foil, which he tipped and.... only a single thin cigar toppled out. With a shrug he popped it in his mouth and lit it from a taper against a candle. He puffed gleefully, sending the smoke high into the tent before offering it to Lady Gia with a wink.

"You've missed your calling, Gia", he said as she smeared her ointment and bade him sit up so she could wrap her dark bandages around him, "You make a fine nurse, and a pretty one",  he grinned.

He had grown terrible shaggy about the face during his wounding, and although he normally wore a rakish goatee, he was overrun with scruff, "Send your lad for hot water, Gia, towels and your sharpest razor", he said as she passed the cigar back to him, "Shall we see who has the steadier hand?".

Stephanie Kuhn

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Gia leaned forward so her face was even with Smiddich's as she smoothly tightened the bandage in place and tied it carefully.  She looked at him, she wasn't sure if he blushed or if he was just flushed from the pain of the changed wrapping. No matter how careful changing a bandage was always painful. But soldiers learned quickly to endure .... or the resulting infection solved their problem. She took the cigar from his mouth.
"I'll summon your steward for you" she grinned "but as for the steadier hand..... you'll have to take that up with him. You've a fine face, I'd hate to slip because you made me laugh and ruin it' She winked at him and left.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The soldiers of Smiddich Fontaine rolled their monstrous bombard up to the field. It was not a true cannon, but a simple tube of reinforced iron and bronze, put together by his blacksmiths on a dare after a heavy night of drinking.

Smiddich was well familiar with the devastation these weapons could perpetrate on a ship - and had been on the receiving end many times as his black sails escaped some nations frigate. He was interested to see what sort of damage it could go against the walls and fortifications of a town - and her folk.

"She'll need some adjustment, Sir, after the first round or so", said his engineers, and Sir Smiddich noted. The contraption looked one solid piece, but he couldn't imagine where they'd found the time to have had it cast. In any case it was tightly strapped and bound, and set upon short wooden wheels for transport.

His men loaded an iron ball and tamped it well, Sir Smiddich himself lit the fuse.

The bombard spat fire and powder in a long gout as the ball was sent sailing; immediately into an Ejarri tavern which exploded spectacularly.

The men were silent for a while. One let out an appreciative whistle.
"Seems to be working fine", said Sir Smiddich, clapping his hand on the mans back, "Have it polished and sent to Lady Gia with my regards. Do send one of your men, with sufficient ammunition and powder that she can have some fun with it."

The locals now fear Greater Xavax a lot more than before.
The locals don't seem to like Greater Xavax as much as before now.