Author Topic: Excessive loss of contacts when Banished from a Realm  (Read 2670 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

When being banished from a realm it seems the players contact list gets purged from a number of things. Most notable, all contacts (virtually) from the Realm the noble is being banished. However, also from prior realms and perhaps more even. Even people that the Noble may have communicated a lot with are purged from the contact list and also people not belonging to the previous Realm the Noble was Banished from.

How does this all work?

''Send a message to one of your contacts''  That option under the Send Message tab. Where you can only select one recipient.

Banishment, Going Rogue, Rejoining a Realm / new Realm.

What are the factors and why?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I've already looked into this and talked to Renodin, but not 100% sure.

Please also post what you situation was. You were banished, turned rogue before taking a new estate?
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Situation was as presented above: Banned, going rogue, joining another realm + taking a new estate.

It caused a big loss of saved contacts. My intent with this thread is to raise awareness, glean information from fellow players and perhaps finding out why this happens and if it is intended to be so or rather that something went wrong. Not just contacts from the Realm one was banned from but beyond that, contacts were lost.

Seems strange that one would loose contact information from people one has been in contact with (directly) just because of a banishment or that a banishment from Realm A would also result in losing contacts from Realm B. Perhaps I am seeing the situation wrong and thus presented this question to the community.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The contacts list has always been something of a kludge.

Due to the way it is structured, it can only keep track of one way that you know any given person—you were in the realm with them, or you corresponded with them, for instance—and it has no way of directly keeping track of how recently you corresponded with them. Thus, when you leave a realm, it just clears out everyone who's a member of the realm from your contacts.

None of these things are insoluble problems; however, it's not a particularly high priority to fix at present.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
I can see why it's not a priority to fix but perhaps there could be a hierarchy of relationship types? E.g. if you correspond with someone directly then that's how your relationship with them gets stored, superceeding any realm relationship with them, etc. That why removing all contacts of a realm relationship type wouldn't remove people who have been corresponded with directly?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I can see why it's not a priority to fix but perhaps there could be a hierarchy of relationship types? E.g. if you correspond with someone directly then that's how your relationship with them gets stored, superceeding any realm relationship with them, etc. That why removing all contacts of a realm relationship type wouldn't remove people who have been corresponded with directly?

That...might be a much quicker fix.

Could you please file a bug report with this, so it doesn't get lost?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
That...might be a much quicker fix.

Could you please file a bug report with this, so it doesn't get lost?

Done :)

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=9153