Author Topic: Removal of Magic on non BT Islands  (Read 12477 times)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Removal of Magic on non BT Islands
« Topic Start: August 28, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »
I think over a year ago I once started this conversation, and back then it was agreed by many that magic was to be a small insignificant side-thing on islands other than BT, but nothing was done. I find myself in yet the same situation, after having returned for only a week, and do find myself frustrated with it, yet again.

As usual my char Garas was critically wounded with a magic scroll on EC (think this is the 5th time by now?) and some other magic spells where cast as well apparently. Now Oligarch is sieged and by the time Garas is sort of healed again, the realm will have fallen and he'll prob be rogue in the middle of an enemy occupied city. I wouldn't even be surprised if this scroll will be the reason why he's executed about a week from now as seemingly the wounding code hasn't been fixed either.

Is magic to be a high impact thing on islands like East Continent or not? If not, I ask that it's removed completely, or at least greatly reduced. I know this means the advy game becomes less impactfull to the real game, but to my understanding that's what it's supposed to be like right?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of Magic on non BT Islands
« Reply #1: August 28, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »
I remember we had this conversation before and that is was agreed that the magical stuff should be downsized on non BT islands.

However, unsure if this has been done or not.

Apart from that, never was frustrated by magic stuff on EC/DWI or Colonies. My chars rarely get in touch with it.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 28, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »
Blasted Elves with their fairy tales and magic lol :P

I do agree magic should play insignificant role on all other islands than BT. BT where daimon is at least. Those weapons, Unique Items are all good for all islands, there is a good deterioration rate put in place to balance things out. While magic maybe not. I do wonder that at one point in BT island at least we had incidents of spells going off. Can we put the same balance in all other islands where too many scrolls at one hand do us no good? Since we already have the code in place at BT if my belief is correct, do please correct me if I am wrong on this account, we can bring the same code to all other islands, as a balance.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Zakky

« Reply #3: August 28, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »
And please for the love of god remove reviving dead from the game while at it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 30, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
K now they're just trying to piss me off. I realise that for most people magic isn't really a problem because they just seem to be using it on my char specifically, but this is getting rediculous. My char was finally just recovering today and before I could check anything I got this again:

Magical Attack   (15 minutes ago)
You suddenly feel a strange force entering your body, and then you see your skin rip and watch in horror as bones break through it from the inside. The rest is a blur of pain and screaming. You have been wounded by magic.

This is the sort of stuff that made me pause for a while, now it just brings me so much closer to rage quitting alltogether.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 30, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
The accident scroll is particularly useful in Oligarchs case because of the citizen militia.
Making Citizen militia less important or not summon able by the ruler could also solve this.
I think what we see here is half of the islands magic focused on one character because of the citizen militia.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 30, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
I probably should not be suggesting this since my character is on opposite side of war with Garas. But I do see this as problem, so here's my thought.

1) Maybe a cooldown period on the character spellcasting ability? If you cast spell, you unable to cast for let say, 2 days. But I foresee there can be ways to bypass, surely some players will get round the cooldown period.

2) Another way. Maybe make scrolls creation more harder? More difficult to find the items require to create scrolls?

3) Scrolls go off on its own when you carry many scrolls.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 30, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
The accident scroll is particularly useful in Oligarchs case because of the citizen militia.
Making Citizen militia less important or not summon able by the ruler could also solve this.
I think what we see here is half of the islands magic focused on one character because of the citizen militia.

That is part of the story yes. But I'd bet it's more than half of the magic and for over a RL year, about almost all the magic has been used for about 80% on Garas and 20% on Catherine or so (now that she's paused, it's just Garas) which is very frustrating to see. I know it can 'win' them the war, but I doubt they realise just what they're doing. If I'm counting correctly, this was the 6th critically wounding of Garas through magic, 6! Of course not to mention the taking away of his hours several times and the equipment damaging of troops and that sorta shannanigans.

Had the magic on all of EC been spread out a bit, I'd still not think it has a place on the island, but maybe I could live with it. But as it stance, all is targeted on a single char and it's just making me mad on an OOC level now as well. This is just purely ruining my ability to even play the char and my fun.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 30, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »

I experienced just this very thing on Belluaterra. Dominorum got wiped out for it. A little annoying and frustrating, but I did consider it a clever tactic.
Perhaps the trick is too powerful and needs to be nerfed somewhat, but I do personally enjoy having magic in the game overall.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:36:18 AM by Logar »
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 30, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
Had the magic on all of EC been spread out a bit, I'd still not think it has a place on the island, but maybe I could live with it. But as it stance, all is targeted on a single char and it's just making me mad on an OOC level now as well. This is just purely ruining my ability to even play the char and my fun.
4) Perhaps priest can heal the wounded by magic character? If let say you have been joining the religion for quite sometime, 1 year? :P

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 30, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
4) Perhaps priest can heal the wounded by magic character? If let say you have been joining the religion for quite sometime, 1 year? :P

Priest with healing abilities has been requested and rejected for countless times through bm history :)

What I don't really understand about the IG stance on magic, is that most characters seem to be fine with it.
Aren't any of the characters in the Northern realms uncomfortable with the use of Magic?
Maybe after hearing all the stories coming from Beluaterra of daimons feeding on released magical energy in particular, one could expect some cautiousness regarding the use of it.

I remember Selenia being scapegoated for the use of a resurrection scroll on her in the EC.
Apparently death spells are just fine.
True warriors fight with steel, not fairy magic.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 30, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
What I don't really understand about the IG stance on magic, is that most characters seem to be fine with it.
Aren't any of the characters in the Northern realms uncomfortable with the use of Magic?
Maybe after hearing all the stories coming from Beluaterra of daimons feeding on released magical energy in particular, one could expect some cautiousness regarding the use of it.

I remember Selenia being scapegoated for the use of a resurrection scroll on her in the EC.
Apparently death spells are just fine.
True warriors fight with steel, not fairy magic.
My character still dislike magic. For portal stones have caused significant starvation in one duchy before. Even Alara Ruler reports to Nivemus Ruler that Niv advy was in the south doing magic or so. I think it all depends on the realm Ruler, for the realm rules are defined by Judge/Ruler.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 30, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
There are quite a number of chars who don't like the use of magic, but apparently none of them feels strongly enough about it to do anything about it. Beating the enemy/keeping the alliance in check is considered more important than the anti magic rhetoric.

And Selenia was mostly scapegoated by Perdan and Oligarch (good thing she doesn't seem to remember the latter anymore ::)) if I recall correctly.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 30, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
Characters gaining a temporary resistance to magic after being affected by a scroll would seem like a reasonable mechanic. Both ways, too: anyone affected by a scroll cannot be be affected by another in the same week, and has a 50% chance to resist any spell cast on him the following week, whether the spell is harmful or beneficial. Lingering energies interfering with the proper connection of new energies and all. Would help prevent some people from being persistently targeted (which is much easier to do with scrolls than it ever was with infiltrators).

Or the reverse approach, making it so that the more spells one has cast recently, the greater the chance of failure. Again, lingering energies interfering with the proper connection of new energies and all. Or both.

The first helps prevent someone from being taken out constantly from playing the game, or for a hoarder to cast a bunch of buffs on himself like some D&D cleric. The second would help dissuade hoarding into but a handful of people and would prevent hoarders from being able to go full wizard every now and then.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 30, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Characters gaining a temporary resistance to magic after being affected by a scroll would seem like a reasonable mechanic.

That was exactly what I was just thinking.

A strong resistance to magic immediately following, that slowly decays over the course of 2 weeks or so. Possibly even not decaying at all if the affected character is wounded, so as to avoid situations where you're wounded for exactly as long as you have magic resistance.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, either.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan