Author Topic: Under Debate: Share Looting Reports with the Army  (Read 3873 times)

T0mislav

Under Debate: Share Looting Reports with the Army
« Topic Start: September 02, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
Title:
Share Looting Reports with the Army

Summary:
When Nobles who are members of the army are Looting, they should receive option to "Share the report with the army" (similar to when they are Scouting).

Details:
Different then in previously requested feature for Sharing Hunting Reports, no one has info about when Nobles are looting (they only can randomly be identified) and some Nobles might want for their looting activity to remain anonymous... So, different then for Hunting Reports, this reports should not be automatically shared with anyone, but Nobles should have option to share them with the Army if they like (similar to Scouting Reports).

Benefits:
Marshal and Vice Marshal should not need to constantly beg for reports. Information from this report (like, when the region is out of gold) is important for Marshal when making decisions about next actions.
Copy-pasting reports can be hell... especially when using mobile phone. This option would allow Nobles to easily share their Looting Reports.

Possible Downsides/Exploits:
-
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:42:57 PM by Wimpie »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Share Looting Reports with the Army
« Reply #1: September 02, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
I'd extend this to foraging as well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

« Reply #2: September 02, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
Why forage?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 02, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
I'm not sure on this one from a technical point of view.

Scout reports and torture reports are handled in a very different way, since they are objects on their own. Looting results is just text.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

T0mislav

« Reply #4: September 03, 2017, 01:24:25 AM »
I'm not sure on this one from a technical point of view.

Scout reports and torture reports are handled in a very different way, since they are objects on their own. Looting results is just text.

If looting results are just text, is it possible to simply add "Share with the Army" button that would send the text as letter to all members of the army. This way it would be avoided that player needs to go to messages and copy/paste the text there (what can be extremely complicated to do using mobile phone)?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 03, 2017, 01:57:27 AM »
Why forage?

Because looting reports indicate if there is still gold/food to be taken from a region. I don't know about you, but that's the only reason I like looting reports being shared, for the rest, I can presume damage is being done without having the specifics. Foraging for equipment works in the same vein: once enough people have foraged, or if the battle was too small, then it stops giving any rewards. It's good to know when that point is reached so that next nobles don't need to waste their time foraging for equipment, just as we don't want nobles looting for gold when the coffers are already empty.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

T0mislav

« Reply #6: September 03, 2017, 06:13:08 AM »
Because looting reports indicate if there is still gold/food to be taken from a region. I don't know about you, but that's the only reason I like looting reports being shared, for the rest, I can presume damage is being done without having the specifics. Foraging for equipment works in the same vein: once enough people have foraged, or if the battle was too small, then it stops giving any rewards. It's good to know when that point is reached so that next nobles don't need to waste their time foraging for equipment, just as we don't want nobles looting for gold when the coffers are already empty.

You are obviously valuing only information that can be practically used... Some players are valuing RP part of those information as well.
You want to see information like "there is 0 gold left in the region" not for other Nobles to not waste time looting, but for other players to not waste time making their characters do something that will not have further effect (there is great difference between this two) - your motivation is not IC driven but is OOC driven making you interested only in information that can increase efficiency of performed tasks or that can have any practical use that can help you character to improve his IC position, while those information that can not help you any way but are simply RP (story) you consider as spam. Some players are seeing all information as part of the story and like to read them as a story (driven by the same motivation that makes you to read a book) which does not have to have any practical use but its greatest value is to bring you fun while reading it.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 03, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
If looting results are just text, is it possible to simply add "Share with the Army" button that would send the text as letter to all members of the army. This way it would be avoided that player needs to go to messages and copy/paste the text there (what can be extremely complicated to do using mobile phone)?

Sure, should be possible.

But Feature Requests generally ask for the permission of Vita/Delvin.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 03, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
You are obviously valuing only information that can be practically used... Some players are valuing RP part of those information as well.
You want to see information like "there is 0 gold left in the region" not for other Nobles to not waste time looting, but for other players to not waste time making their characters do something that will not have further effect (there is great difference between this two) - your motivation is not IC driven but is OOC driven making you interested only in information that can increase efficiency of performed tasks or that can have any practical use that can help you character to improve his IC position, while those information that can not help you any way but are simply RP (story) you consider as spam. Some players are seeing all information as part of the story and like to read them as a story (driven by the same motivation that makes you to read a book) which does not have to have any practical use but its greatest value is to bring you fun while reading it.

Efficiency is not OOC. When my characters order looting, or foraging, they want it to be effective. It's completely in-character for a marshal to want to do the most with available resources. Ordering nobles to loot for gold in regions that have none reflects poorly on them, leads to discontent subordinates, and fails to have an impact on the enemy. Wanting to "win" is a very in-character motivation.

There is no "RP value" to that information. We can RP just fine without the details. Part of the RP of these things is precisely that our characters aren't omniscient. Should we get daily reports about how many birds our character saw that day? How cloudy the sky is? What our meal was?

Useless information is not without consequence, it's a harmful distraction. When the civil work/police work page strongly encourages players not to share the report with the whole world, because many consider it spammy, it's right. The game largely evolved over devolution and giving greater player autonomy, feeding people over all of the minute details of what everyone else is doing is a step back.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #9: September 05, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
I rarely downvote but, seeing the load the devs already have, I really don't see the point in making a special effort for this, even after having read the thread.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 06, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Opinions of Delvin/Vita required.