Author Topic: Darfix Portal  (Read 23594 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Darfix Portal
« Reply #15: September 22, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
Astrum asked for our help last time around, and we said we'd give it... we really did mean to. :/

Astrum as a whole is a tough nut. Very defensible. Don't be too cocky for Eidulb, though. Your densities are fair so you should be okay, but if the monsters decided to slam there en masse? 20k after 20k after 20k after 20k... or more? Sure you've got walls, but you can't repair them when there has been battles. The monsters' forces aren't limited by gold, they will keep on spawning huge numbers until they've done enough harm to the human realms. Attrition could very well make you lose Eidulb, especially if you've got an undefeated enemy in the East and that monsters also start swimming to those parts.

Besides, the point of fortifying Eidulb Outskirts is not merely to slaughter the monsters there, but to give more time before the monsters move on to Eidulb. These mini invasions are kind of a survival "last man standing" mode: the point is to lose as few regions for as long as possible so that the *other realms'* losses bring the global density back to safe levels.

Who knows what the future will look like, but I don't recall complaining the last time around. Now that densities are considered and that monsters swim, it feels much more fair to us. Westfold aside, we are the densest realm on the continent and have the second most nobles. It didn't feel fair that density measures would hurt first and foremost the densest realm; we do need at least a skeleton of an economy to keep going, which is hard to do when we are constantly reduced to our capital. We didn't even lose all that much last time around, though, and we retook it a while back. The monster code broke some time after that, the invasion had already ended by then.

Let's not forget that "Westgard at its peak" faced a completely different monster situation. The code was tweaked many times since I rejoined BM, each time making it less and less harsh for us. At the beginning, the code was basically "Dense realms are better than thinned out realms, so let's force realms on Dwilight to be dense by sending insurmountable hordes against the one realm that lies in the spawn zone!". Now, they'll intentionally target other realms, and they won't even need to pass through us to get there. The situation is radically different.

I'm sure there will be complaining, but I doubt most of it will come from Westgard.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron