Author Topic: Rejected: Auto 'loot'  (Read 2133 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Rejected: Auto 'loot'
« Topic Start: September 19, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »
Title: Auto loot

Summary:
The longer an enemy unit occupies a region the more 'damage' it does to production and or morale.
This can represent the effects of an enemy army present in the region over time.
The unit's ability to preform auto loot could be limited to a unit type or require the unit to invest some hours or gold in order to us it.

Details:
Looting hurts regions allot yet summons peasant militia that can really break an army down.
A less aggressive and indirect approach could be auto looting where no hours have to be invested every time an action is preformed like looting and taking over.
It could work like digging in where a one time investment of hours is required, or by changing unit type.
In the end it would take much more time to damage a region instead of looting, but cause similar effects.

Benefits:
Less active players can rally in certain regions with the entire army and slowly damage the enemy's local economy without having to login every turn.
Rural battles could increase by luring the enemy into battle by simply staying present, encouraging rural battles and a defensive attack.

Possible Downsides/Exploits:

Larger realms would benefit from this especially if its power is troop or unit based.
It could be balanced out to benefit smaller realms only or more.
Combining this with minimum looting could be too powerful.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:42:51 PM by Wimpie »
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
Re: Auto 'loot'
« Reply #1: September 19, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Interesting Idea. My concern is the possible downside you mentioned "Larger realms would benefit from this especially if its power is troop or unit based." Any idea how this could be balanced?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 19, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
Nope. You want to loot, you need to actually order looting.

The effect you describe does, however, exist to a certain extent already.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 20, 2017, 01:13:56 AM »
I don't understand why you'd want this. If you want to damage a region, do so. If you don't, don't. I don't see a reason to benefit idlers. The game is based on logging in once per turn.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

« Reply #4: September 20, 2017, 01:15:02 AM »
If you don't want to devastate a region, just bring a small unit.

Maybe instead of auto loot, why not ask for a feature something along the line of limited looting where you can decide how many men you want to send to loot? If a small unit like 30 men loot a region for 8 hours it isn't the same as 150 men looting for 3 hours (which is the current minimum).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 20, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »
If you just want to do a bit of damage, you can loot 3 hours for tax gold or for food. If you want to do more damage, you can spend full hours doing the more brutal stuff.

I really don't see any interest to adding passive damage. If one wants to damage an enemy, there are already mechanics for that. There's really zero reason not to use them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron