Author Topic: Delete This Please  (Read 4613 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Delete This Please
« Topic Start: September 24, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »
I figured it out. Sorry!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:51:44 AM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Etiquette Issue
« Reply #1: September 24, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »
In context, "screw" is most certainly a vulgarity in the sense that a medieval noble would mean.

Just because you didn't use a much more blatant and (in modern times) taboo swear word doesn't mean that what you said was not vulgar.

Try to imagine a medieval noble, full of the notion that status is everything and erudite and elevated language is a true mark of birth, saying anything like "screw you" to another noble—especially in a letter, as opposed to face-to-face in the heat of an argument.

They would be much more likely to say something along the lines of, "If that is your position, then I can but think that you are among those benighted folk who plight their troth with sheep, for it bespeaks a similar level of intellectual and moral fortitude."

As for whether the other party is also in the wrong...sure, he probably is. And he might very well have also had an etiquette issue opened for him, and lost honour because of it. Unless you're the one who opened the issue, or were asked to judge it, there's no way you'd ever know.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan