Author Topic: Dukes and Duchies  (Read 11681 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes and Duchies
« Topic Start: September 27, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
Only 1 person per realm gets to fiddle with these things, and imo, that's a good thing. Back in the days, nothing short of rebellion could change peoples' titles, and that only allowed 5 choices.

I don't really see a point to using foreign language titles, either. Duc is duke. It's the same thing. Are people going to start writing to each other in French too, for flavor? It just adds confusion for little to no return.

It was always the mantra that mechanics trump RP. If the game says something and players say something else, the game is right. If calling dukes kings or heads of houses or other such things are confusing... then maybe stop doing it?

That said, I do concede that some additional title-granting capacities can sometimes go a long way to favor richer RP. It's been requested in the past to allow to create new titles to arbitrarily hand out. I don't believe it was utterly rejected, but I think that some restrictions needed to be thought of, to avoid everyone getting their own vanity title.

To go back on the confusingness of existing customization, I would propose a suggestion, that I'm not sure I like myself: perhaps we could add title icons? We already have a little gender symbol. Maybe we can put a sword symbol to generals, a balance or coin symbol to bankers, a crown symbol to rulers, and a scroll or balance symbol to judges? This would prevent the need to look up any title of foreign government members. If more customization was truly desired (or just to compensate for the already existing multiple choices), this could be extended with a city icon to dukes and a mill icon to lords.

If we wanted the maximum possible customizationability, we could put up a list of all government title powers (assign militia, call peasant militia, ban noble, handle prisons, access granaries, etc.), and then let players break them up into, say, 3-6 titles. Preferably only changeable by rebellion. This would open up a few extra slots for semi-vanity titles, and message perks (message to all generals, for example) would remain unchanged other than for the fact of being switcheable (with at least 3 titles getting a seperate message group and no one getting more than 2).

Personally, this sounds like a lot of work, though, and if we were to go in such levels of customization, I would much, much rather we instead prioritize the geographical mechanics of the game in order to allow mass migrations of realms and player-driven region type changes. The lack of titles is not a major problem for this game, but in some parts of the game, screwed up geography is.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron