Author Topic: Approved: Add Wikilinks to Signatures  (Read 10809 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Approved: Add Wikilinks to Signatures
« Topic Start: September 27, 2017, 12:22:46 AM »
Summary:
  • In the game's current form, it's the wiki that helps make the world feel alive. Every in-game message you send automatically includes your character's signature. I believe players should have the option in BM settings to link/match their signatures to their wiki, changing the text color from the standard white to the indicative blue.
Details:
  • This feature would add a section to the EDIT DATA section. An Open text field where players can copy and submit the wiki url to their family page. After submission, Titans will receive a review alert (Similar to Region description Approval notifications) to check the link for accuracy and approve the request. Once approved, all future messages from this player will be hyperlinked.
  • Players that have chosen this option will have their FIRST/LAST name in their signature change from White to hyperlink blue.
Benefits:
  • Incentivizes players to use and explore the Wiki.
  • Simplifies/Specifies important information that knights, having grown up in the world, should already possess in-game knowledge of.
  • Titan approval requirement will limit possible abuse.
  • Feature can be expanded to include realms, guilds and religions so that at a glance, players who receive these messages can quickly and easily navigate the wiki to find have everything they need to know right on hand.
  • New players who may not even be aware of the wiki or its uses will discover a new way to enrich their BM game experience. Older players may find new motivation to establish, clean up and expand the original content on their wikis
Possible Downsides or Exploits:
  • Players could attempt to link to third party sites, but this should be checked by the Titan approval requirement.
  • If players for any reason choose to rename/relocate their wiki page, they will have to submit a new request as their hyperlink will have been broken.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:40:54 PM by Wimpie »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Zakky

Re: Add Wikilinks to Signatures
« Reply #1: September 27, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »
Thought you could already do this? You just know how to. [[ Something ]] will lead to 'Something' wiki page. Same for your signature. If you go for [[JeVondair Family/Someone|Name]], it should show up as Name on your link to the page in the game which will open up 'JeVondair Family/Someone' wiki page.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: September 27, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
You can do it in messages by manually typing the wiki link each time as you demonstrated. But I am talking about the automated signature that goes with every message.

Zakky

« Reply #3: September 27, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
You can do it in messages by manually typing the wiki link each time as you demonstrated. But I am talking about the automated signature that goes with every message.

Not sure if that is the wisest idea. Every person with a hyperlink connected their family would be too troublesome I think. Also, not everyone creates a wiki family page.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 27, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »
Not really sure I like the idea of having hyperlinks in every message you send.. I do like the idea of introducing players who don't know about wiki (or forgot) that it's there.

For the record, you can also use the [[ ]] notations in your 'Comments' section on your family page. So it's easy to link your wiki family page from there as well. (Or use the 'website' for that purpose).
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #5: September 27, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Not sure if that is the wisest idea. Every person with a hyperlink connected their family would be too troublesome I think. Also, not everyone creates a wiki family page.

Certainly, so this is just an option for players to find and add value. I would hope, however, that it would eventually catch on. It would be hugely convenient, for example, that were your character to message mine for the first time, i could simply click his name to see whatever you have chosen to reveal about them on your wiki and coach my response message appropriately.

I remember being a new player and having little to know idea who i was talking to and it struck me that if my first character had grown up in a culture (in this case it was D'Hara) he would have known about people like Jonsu Himoura, Machiavel Chernier, Francis Kinsey, etc. (I did not even explore the wiki until much, MUCH, later as I was not aware of it.)

Zakky

« Reply #6: September 27, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
There are other ways to achieve the same goal. I am just saying what is convenient to you could be really annoying for others. For this case, you don't want people accidentally clicking on hyperlinks while scrolling down. Like Wimpie said, you can customize your family page or you can do exactly this on your bulletins as well.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 28, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
So this reminds me of an idea I had a couple of weeks ago which might take care of this in a more acceptable way:

Every character should have an in game description which the player can write. Say up to 500 characters of text which shows up under Personal Information. Then underneath each message, in addition to the link to see User Details there could also be a link to see Character Details.

This would allow people to flesh out their character in game with a description or background or whatever which other characters could view in game without making it something massively obtrusive in messages. It would also add another something to the knight game so that there's more stuff to do immediately on character creation.

In terms of functionality it would just be a text box with an editor, so it should be an easy feature to implement, but it would add a bit more roleplaying depth to the game in the way that the OP is after but without being too convoluted and requiring people to create a wiki page for each character.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 28, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Example of how it could look in game:

Information Page

Personal Information
Your Status
Your Fame
Your Description

News and Messages
Scribe Notes
Current Referendums

Your Bans and Fines
Your Duels
Your Guilds
Your Message Groups
Your Unique Items

Military Advisor

Messages Page

Request from Chester Barrett   (20 hours, 24 minutes ago)
Message sent to all members of the Central Democratic Army (31 recipients)
I need 150 gold to pay my men for the week.
Chester Barrett
Representative of Scio

[reply to sender] | [reply to list] | [ignore] | [character details] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 28, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Antonine, I would suggest posting your feature as a different topic, as to not forget about the initial request JeVondair made.

Remember, it's basically Vita/Delvin who approve feature requests and they are both super busy at this period it seems. So you gotta have patience!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 28, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »
Well here we're basically talking about the same concept, my comment is just to suggest a different way it could be implemented :)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 28, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
So this reminds me of an idea I had a couple of weeks ago which might take care of this in a more acceptable way:

Every character should have an in game description which the player can write. Say up to 500 characters of text which shows up under Personal Information. Then underneath each message, in addition to the link to see User Details there could also be a link to see Character Details.

This would allow people to flesh out their character in game with a description or background or whatever which other characters could view in game without making it something massively obtrusive in messages. It would also add another something to the knight game so that there's more stuff to do immediately on character creation.

In terms of functionality it would just be a text box with an editor, so it should be an easy feature to implement, but it would add a bit more roleplaying depth to the game in the way that the OP is after but without being too convoluted and requiring people to create a wiki page for each character.

I'm actually cautiously in favour of (versions of) both the initial proposal in this thread and this idea.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #12: September 28, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
I'm actually cautiously in favour of (versions of) both the initial proposal in this thread and this idea.

+1

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Under Debate: Add Wikilinks to Signatures
« Reply #13: November 04, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
What I have so far:

• A new link under every message, next to [userdetails] which is called [character details]
  • This link will direct to a separate page with a picture of the character (one you can link to yourself with an URL) and a description you wrote yourself (limiting in characters or not)
  • An edit function so you can insert an URL for the picture and textbox to insert description for your own character
  • I modified the play-status.php page a bit, so the picture & the first x characters of your description would be on here as well. That + the links to the separate page
I've still got some little fixes to make before it can become operational. That and layout of course.

Any more suggestions perhaps, now that I'm at it?

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Under Debate: Add Wikilinks to Signatures
« Reply #14: November 06, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
I'd be very happy with this, and I'll work with the players in the realms I lead to  get the word out and get this feature used. thanks so much for your time!