Author Topic: Approved: Add Wikilinks to Signatures  (Read 10697 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Under Debate: Add Wikilinks to Signatures
« Reply #15: November 08, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
Have some screenshots for what I've done so far. Would love to get some feedback. I haven't spend much time on layout/colors/.. yet.

1. play-status page, the left column I've reworked to include picture, normal info & part of your description, with a link to 'read more' to the separate page (see 2)
https://imgur.com/a/saV2Y

2. A separate 'Character Description' page, which will be viewable to you (so it will include an 'Edit' link) and also to others when clicking the 'Character Details' link in a message (see 3). When viewing other's description, there won't be an 'Edit' link. Links to wiki pages are able, using the same [[ ]] links as can be used ingame on various pages/messages.
https://imgur.com/a/UljVh

3. Below each message an extra link will be excluded to the character's description page: [Character details]
https://imgur.com/a/6GXwW
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 08, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »
Very nice!
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 09, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
The difficulty for the picture is:

• It needs to be a picture you took yourself
  • OR
  • It needs to be from public domain
  • OR
  • You are allowed to use it (have the rights)
These are the same conditions that are on the wiki.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 09, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
great stuff, I like the character details link and the first screenshot on the character details.
The other layout for the character details is probably what other characters see right?
I'd prefer it to be in a template like the first screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/saV2Y
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 09, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
The difficulty for the picture is:

• It needs to be a picture you took yourself
  • OR
  • It needs to be from public domain
  • OR
  • You are allowed to use it (have the rights)
These are the same conditions that are on the wiki.

Yes but in reality that doesn't happen, so many images are just taken from the web with no idea as to who has the copyright ownership.
It would take alot of effort to review all of them, but then again thats not done on the wiki either.
We could focus instead on making sure the pictures are genuine images of characters instead of swastikas, Isil execution video stills or boobs.

Some kind of generator for character pictures like the banner maker would be our best option to also get same styled pictures, but thats probably not easy to build.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #20: November 09, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
The same warning that the wiki uses will have to be sufficient. As Nosferatus suggests, we can have the titans review each pic update at least to ensure SMA validity. They can then rate the profile the same way that region descriptions are rated. If they recognize an image as being outside of Public domain, they can flag it by saying the image may be subject to removal at the request of a copyright owner.

I also really like the idea of a generator. All we really need for that is a cache of images, divided between male and female, and a random button for players to spam through if they want. I can collect images from across the web pretty quickly, I was already thinking of the good ol Baldur's Gate portraits, but I can certainly add to that if the devs want to define a framework for me.

Would that be feasible?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 09, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
Delvin already suggested using a pool of pictures that we present as options, out of public domain pictures.

So if you got any stash of those, or know where to get good ones, it is certainly appreciated.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #22: November 09, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »
I honestly had to look up what counted as Public Domain today just to chime into this convo sooooo idk how much help I can be on that front just yet. But If I find something, I'll report in.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 10, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
do we want actual photos? or do we want pictures of drawing or paintings?
I'd definitely prefer the latter.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 11, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
Let's initially go with a light weight solution, otherwise the time to get this implemented & live will just be much bigger.

We'll go with the URL, with a simple warning to use public domain/own rights photos.

great stuff, I like the character details link and the first screenshot on the character details.
The other layout for the character details is probably what other characters see right?
I'd prefer it to be in a template like the first screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/saV2Y

Not sure I understand what you mean. The first link is actually your own private page. The second is indeed what others get to see when clicking character details for your chars. This one I'm in need of making a proper layout for.
But how do you suggest it uses a 'Template'?

For the record, I have 2 things to print on this page: the picture (I put it in this frame) and a text box with the description.

Suggestions are welcome. Layout and stuff is not my strong suit.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #26: November 13, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
I was looking at Nosferatus' template that you quoted and I thought it looked quite nice: A charcter picture and a little blurb added to the character info already supported by the game. Were you preferring to go a different route, Wimpie?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 14, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
I was looking at Nosferatus' template that you quoted and I thought it looked quite nice: A charcter picture and a little blurb added to the character info already supported by the game. Were you preferring to go a different route, Wimpie?

Not entirely sure what you mean. The screenshot Nosferatus quoted is from me and that's what I already built on the player page.

We are now talking about the separate page I created so the entire description is read-able to everyone on the continent: https://imgur.com/a/UljVh

I'm talking about how this page could have a better layout or how to make it nicer, considering I only have 2 things to add to this page: the picture in its frame and a your description.

If it's fine like this, I can just check in this code and have it live whenever the next live-sync happens.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #28: November 14, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
Have some screenshots for what I've done so far. Would love to get some feedback. I haven't spend much time on layout/colors/.. yet.

1. play-status page, the left column I've reworked to include picture, normal info & part of your description, with a link to 'read more' to the separate page (see 2)
https://imgur.com/a/saV2Y

2. A separate 'Character Description' page, which will be viewable to you (so it will include an 'Edit' link) and also to others when clicking the 'Character Details' link in a message (see 3). When viewing other's description, there won't be an 'Edit' link. Links to wiki pages are able, using the same [[ ]] links as can be used ingame on various pages/messages.
https://imgur.com/a/UljVh

3. Below each message an extra link will be excluded to the character's description page: [Character details]
https://imgur.com/a/6GXwW

My apologies, I misunderstood and went back to reread. I personally think your suggestion is a fine one and that we should go ahead with the next live sync. Once it's up, if our players find anything that would be worthwhile in updating, they can make additional feature requests after, right?

Thanks so much for putting work into this, Wimpie. It feels really cool!

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 14, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

My apologies, I misunderstood and went back to reread. I personally think your suggestion is a fine one and that we should go ahead with the next live sync. Once it's up, if our players find anything that would be worthwhile in updating, they can make additional feature requests after, right?

Thanks so much for putting work into this, Wimpie. It feels really cool!

Of course they can :)

I'll check everything in once it's final.