Author Topic: Under Debate: In-game Newspapers  (Read 3481 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Under Debate: In-game Newspapers
« Topic Start: September 28, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
Title: In-game Newspapers

Summary:

Back in the good old days, there were lively newspapers on the wiki. That sort of died a death over time, especially after the forum launched, as overall player interest in the wiki declined. So I'd like to suggest that newspapers are brought in-game instead with nobles able to create newspapers which are visible to characters across the continent and can be accessed by them.

Details:

Add a new Newspapers item in the Politics menu. Players could could click on it to either found/edit their own newspaper, view the list of newspapers for the continent (along with when they were last updated), subscribe to individual newspapers and send a message to the editor of a newspaper which they're subscribed to.

The mechanics of a newspaper would function similarly to a message group. Each "edition" of the newspaper would be a standard letter-type text box which shows up in messages with a custom header (in a similar format to World News messages). Different articles could be encompassed within one edition of a newspaper by using the styling options to sub divide it up (e.g. headlines in block capitals or bold, bylines in italics, or whatever) at the editor's discretion.

Each newspaper could have multiple characters as editors (each editor would be able to add new editors but only the earliest added editor could remove other editors) and the role of an editor would be to create new editions and dispatch them. The editors could also give the newspaper a one sentence description to be displayed alongside its name in the list of newspapers for a continent.

By giving characters the ability to write to the editor of a newspaper they subscribe to would make it possible for characters across the continent to write and submit articles to a newspaper without having to become editors.

Founding a newspaper would be open to anyone but should cost a token amount of gold - I'd suggest 25 or 50 to keep it affordable.

Optional extra: Charge characters a nominal sum of gold (1 gold) to subscribe to a newspaper for a month. The gold from subscriptions would be paid to the editor which would provide a small financial incentive for creating and maintaining them.

Benefits:

Newspapers would be restored to Battlemaster, only in-game where players would be much more likely to read them. Just like in the old days, some might be genuine attempts at impartial reporting while others would be simple propaganda sheets dedicated to promoting their home realm and blackening the name of their enemies. In the case of the latter, it might incentivise realms to create their own propaganda sheets to counter those of enemy realms and would help drive more activity in the game.

It would also allow regular knights an additional way to become influential and well known by running a newspaper or writing articles for one, helping to make the knight game more interesting.

Possible Downsides/Exploits:

Could further draw people away from the wiki and could potentially make it easier for characters to share OOC info continent-wide or to engage in griefing. However, I think the existing game rules, and the fact that anyone could subscribe to any newspaper, should prevent that from becoming a significant problem.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:42:06 PM by Wimpie »

Zakky

Re: In-game Newspapers
« Reply #1: September 28, 2017, 06:27:08 PM »
Not sure about newspapers. They die way too often. This will probably just another feature that will be forgotten relatively quickly.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: September 28, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
I like the idea, and am personally interested. But I do not see a very big outcry/need for a feature like this as its function is already covered by existing mechanisms.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 28, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Not sure about newspapers. They die way too often. This will probably just another feature that will be forgotten relatively quickly.

The main reason they die is because they:

a) require you to know how to edit the wiki
b) require readers to regularly go to the wiki to check for updates and therefore don't get seen by many people
c) have unclear ownership which means that if the author stops updating it, for whatever reason, then no one else feels comfortable taking ownership of it and continuing it even if it's still popular
d) have a very low profile in game so lots of people who could be interested in them don't even know about their existence

Making newspapers a piece of in-game functionality would overcome most of those issues. By being in game they'd get more traffic and therefore spark more reactions and feedback and therefore motivate people to continue them more.

I can tell you from personal experience that there's nothing so discouraging as spending a great deal of time and effort writing something only for it to be ignored. That's what's guaranteed to happen to all new newspapers if they sit on the wiki and that's a big reason why people aren't interested in creating them anymore.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 29, 2017, 03:18:22 AM »
I support this Feature.

On EC, there is someone who provided a newspaper link to me. But then the newspaper kinda die out likely due to author stress.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 29, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
I think we talked about something like this on another topic somewhere, but I can't recall.

What I would have in mind, if this feature were to be accepted, is to replace the 'World News' menu link on Information tab with something like a Newspaper with the described functionality in the feature.

Whether it will work and not die out.. I'm not sure. But I'm sure wiki-based newspapers are not working because they are on the wiki and not ingame. Hence nobody reads them.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 29, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
I think we talked about something like this on another topic somewhere, but I can't recall.

What I would have in mind, if this feature were to be accepted, is to replace the 'World News' menu link on Information tab with something like a Newspaper with the described functionality in the feature.

Whether it will work and not die out.. I'm not sure. But I'm sure wiki-based newspapers are not working because they are on the wiki and not ingame. Hence nobody reads them.

That would work as well, though if that's the case then I think, at the very least, nobles should get a notification show up in their messages when a newspaper they subscribe to is updated with a new article/issue.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 29, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »

They used to be quite popular. I'm unsure whether they died before or after people stopped really using the wiki, but I believe the creation of the forums had a role in why we don't see any anymore.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 29, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
They used to be quite popular. I'm unsure whether they died before or after people stopped really using the wiki, but I believe the creation of the forums had a role in why we don't see any anymore.

That as well, yes.

That would work as well, though if that's the case then I think, at the very least, nobles should get a notification show up in their messages when a newspaper they subscribe to is updated with a new article/issue.

Well yes, an exact system/functionality would have to be thought out. Having an overview screen available from the information screen is 1 aspect, having it pushed to your messages whenever there is something new is another.

It's something 'bigger' though. But I'm interested in making something and then seeing whether it looks nice/could work. Unless Vita or Delvin just plainly say 'No.'.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Re: Under Debate: In-game Newspapers
« Reply #9: November 08, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »
This would be a great way to share and preserve multi-party RP's, as well.

So many potential uses... Propaganda, announcing duels, wedding invitations, elections, debates, military movements, religious affairs, etc.

If there are internal/external newspapers for guilds/religions/nations... So many options!
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)