Author Topic: Staying wounded needs to be tweaked it's too punishing  (Read 14851 times)

Kalkandelen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
In situations when you play a single char or two, not been able to play the game for days is rather counter productive for Battlemaster, it's punishment not only for the player but for all players as they can't benefit from his contribution to the game.

I'm not saying to be removed completely just somewhat softened: Half day for light wounds, a day for wounded and tops 2 days for seriously being wounded.

You can play if you like with hours you gain during wounded, hack even if you don't receive any hours is better then not being able to play at all. 

Zakky

Once Anaris becomes less busy, more features will come. One of them is being able to read letters white wounded so you don't have 200 letters to read after. You still won't be able to answer however.

Kalkandelen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
It's still not resolving the problem, you can't play or in any way contribute to the game in prolonged period which does not benefit the game. It's damaging from the social point too as for example you want to be with certain chars in a realm and not being able to play with them ruins the fun.

We do play this game for fun right? Little tweak by softening the wounded stances it will be a gain for Battlemaster.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Wounds were one of the few and rare means for someone to lose a title, and had great value in that sense. At least back in the day, when the character:title density was much higher. About the only way to get rid of a duke, too.

That said, I wouldn't mind an update to the wound system. Less common serious wounds and prompter recovery from wounds in battle, all these do is dissuade higher ups from joining wars (which isn't good for anyone), while increasing the impacts of wounds by infiltrators (so that stabbing a duke becomes a more reliable way of removing someone).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The timing of wounding is going to be tweaked again in the near future.

As Zakky says, I also plan to change what's possible while you're wounded. Depending on the severity, you might even be given some access to write letters while wounded.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
It's still not resolving the problem, you can't play or in any way contribute to the game in prolonged period which does not benefit the game. It's damaging from the social point too as for example you want to be with certain chars in a realm and not being able to play with them ruins the fun.

We do play this game for fun right? Little tweak by softening the wounded stances it will be a gain for Battlemaster.

Wounding is a feature of battlemaster, not a bug. There's a balance to be struck to make sure that people aren't wounded for too long that they get bored, but wounding is important as pretty much the only way you can hit enemy leadership, disrupt their organisation and deprive people from positions.

The alternative is that we make wounding less severe but also add in the option for any character to be killed. But getting your character killed is a lot less fun than having them just be wounded for four days.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Wounding should definitely be tweaked, as Danaris said it's already on the TODO list.

Ironically, 2 of my characters are wounded right now. Guess my time spent on BM will be a bit less this week  >:(
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Wounding is a feature of battlemaster, not a bug. There's a balance to be struck to make sure that people aren't wounded for too long that they get bored, but wounding is important as pretty much the only way you can hit enemy leadership, disrupt their organisation and deprive people from positions.

The alternative is that we make wounding less severe but also add in the option for any character to be killed. But getting your character killed is a lot less fun than having them just be wounded for four days.

No, increasing character risk from random events just makes people more chicken !@#$ to do anything.

I'm much more in favor of decreasing the severity of harm from random events (such as wounds in battle) while increasing the severity of active player-driven risky activities (infiltrator attack).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wirrander

• Peasant
    • View Profile
New player here. I agree that wounds need to be reduced, I recently found myself in a loosing battle and wounded, and now I'm looking at days of not being able to do anything (if I can't travel, I can't get more men, and am stuck in hostile territory). I feel that at the very least it shouldn't be as severe for new players, and perhaps they could reduce or eliminate the recovery period after you heal.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well, same here but for a not new player.

Got wounded in Vix, I think it took me 2.5 days (5 turns) to go from 'wounded' status (which doesn't allow you to do anything) to 'lighly wounded'. I think it were around 175 messages waiting for me to be read all at once.

Worst timing ever, I got to spend a day lightly wounded/recovering, and another major battle happened in the same region. Now I'm wounded again with +100 messages waiting for me.

What's going to get changed, by confirmation of Delvin:

- Some sort of system that allows you to at least read letters while wounded (not sure about seriously wounded though, wouldn't make sense you would be able to read letters).
- Tweak the amount of time it takes to recover from being wounded
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I actually like the idea of removing wounded for new players (not chars) entirely.

So add a check like: If date of account creation < 30 days then instantly heal

or add a check in the wound system itself along the lines of: If date of account creation > 30 then execute wounding code
Else do nothing.

Not sure hkw the code is built up obviously, but these are 2 approaches I could think off. (First at char lvl, super healing, second at wounding level itself).
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'd actually extend it to 3 months instead of just one.

One month isn't that long in BM and new players might not even see any significant battle during that time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I'm going to make it:

• 2 months or less: no wounds/insta-heal
  • 2-4 months: only the most minor wounds
  • 4-6 months: all wounds quick-heal
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wirrander

• Peasant
    • View Profile
I think that this plan is great, it completely addresses my concerns with the wound system.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm going to make it:

• 2 months or less: no wounds/insta-heal
  • 2-4 months: only the most minor wounds
  • 4-6 months: all wounds quick-heal

I think the Ketchum wants to be like you  ;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela