Author Topic: Bescanon portal RP  (Read 6095 times)

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Bescanon portal RP
« Topic Start: October 12, 2018, 06:04:39 AM »
A Violet Migration, Part One
message to everyone on East Continent - 3 hours, 57 minutes ago
In Bescanon...

Beasts and birds silently circle through day and night, ever marching, ever flying, never squawking. Each day they grow more numerous. With the orbiting animals never stopping to eat or drink, priests pontificate on how these animals can sustain their energy without sustenance. The column of light continues to darken into a deep violet colour.

Then, without warning, the light-column splinters from top to bottom in four equidistant cracks, forming 4 sheets of light. Observers are perplexed to watch light crack. Someone looks up as far as they can peer into the skies and notices the top of the sheet of light gradually pulling away. As people watch on in curiousity, the light-sheet teeters precariously. And then, everyone is certain.

Up in the sky, the sheet of light has pulled away, in fact, someone else now yells that all four of light-sheets have pulled away from each other. Like string cheese being pulled apart into four pieces simultaneously, all four light-sheets have begun to separate and then, unable to hold themselves up, crash to the ground. It is now that any observers flee in panic.

Except Joe. He's about as quick as a tortoise walking across molasses. He keeps watching. It is only he who catches the light-sheets falling upon the birds, and then passing ... through ... them? He's puzzled, not having both oars in the water. But next he sees the eyes of a goose - an unearthly dark violet. And as the light passes through each bird, it breaks off from its avian orbit, flying with furious determination to Jarbosh knows where.

Due to how high into the sky the beam of light reaches, it's several more minutes until the four sheets crash upon the ground. In the meantime, oblivious to avian-light chaos overheard, the beasts circle on. Joe continues to watch, eyes widening, dazed in an overwhelming amount of stimuli and confusion. And then, closest to the portal stones, the sheet of light finally crashes to the ground, passing through the ticks (not that Joe could see them). And then the light disappeared into the ground? Being a few peas short of a casserole, he thought he'd go look closer, with the sheets of light still in the process of crashing to the ground.

As with the birds above, as the light-sheet passes through each animal, the creature forgets its circling ways and immediately beelines for elsewhere with an unsettling amount of determination. Thus do many insects first depart upon their tasks, having been closest to the stones. Their eyes much too small for Joe to notice, but if he could, an unearthly dark violet.

While Joe is passing by the orbiting oxen and the sheet of light is passing through the bodies of small mammals in the distance, he notices that now the raccoons too possess unearthly dark violet eyes. He decides he wants big purple eyes too, so he plops down and takes a seat. Alas, unlike the birds and beasts he has observed, as the light passes through him he is incinerated, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes.

Joe is dead.

star
A Violet Migration, Part Two
message to everyone on East Continent - 3 hours, 34 minutes ago
With the light dissolving into the ground, each bird and beast now possesses a pair of hellish violet irises and a good deal of fervor and conviction. Descending on regions throughout East Continent, the violet-eyed birds seek out adventurers holding portal stones, while the beasts seek out regions filled with magic.

Hummingbirds attack Daunae, Hawk, Cassandra, and Gerhard.
Wrens attack Max, Fu Manchu, Valour, and Nethan Fourhearth.
Chickadees attack Othello, Arnaud, Graxen, and Luccas.
Finches attack Adarn, Talisa, Alyssa, and Elyas.
Robins attack Jean, Sheena, Belkis, and Etain.
Magpies attack Molly, Cookie, Oss, and Adelaide.
Orioles attack Moonshine, Ramza, Eleanor, and Elermos.
Doves attack Veronika, Vignette, Drislow, and Norchack.
Larks attack Deltur, Mickey, Ursos, and Michaela.
Kookaburras attack Harker, Drogamir, Jebediah, and Verlinda.
The birds lightly wound them and steal their stones.
Ducks attack Alanna, Wyatt, and Dieter.
Toucans attack Durang, Kanchelsis, and Thorin.
Owls attack Random, Alvira, and Nyisanak.
Boobies attack Mug, Avuton Aatu, and Severin.
Pigeons attack Ed, Krelianne, and Millicent.
Parrots attack Dasehra, Hans, and Charlotte.
Pelicans attack Lorgis and Tristan.
Geese attack Donall and Wutro.
The avians wound them and steal their stones.
Falcons attack Yanni, James, and Folka.
Hawks attack Onky D'a, Brack, and Kothan.
The birds seriously wound them and steal their stones.

Albatrosses attack Ingomar and Merec Merritson, leaving them critically wounded and stoneless.
Vultures attack Tel, Norma II and Darrious.
Eagles attack Sevean, Kaylee and Arwen Undomiel.
They are left critically wounded, fatigued, and stoneless.

From the most magical region of Oligarch to the least magical regions of Partora and Kalmar, concerning reports arrive. Locals are being mauled by all manner of creatures from ticks to oxen; some claim to be mauled by monsters glowing with purple eyes. Scores and hundreds die in each region from these maulings. Other reports note an increase in monster and undead activity in the region relative to the local magic in the region.

Only the non-magical regions of Nascot, Troyes, Slimbar, Pucallpa, Aix, Lundel, Bastad, and Wasteland are unscathed. But when its all over, all regions have been drained of their local magic and not one portal stone exists upon East Continent.

PS: There's more! In Meuse, Rhiannon Archival discovers the Cursed Shield of Truth sitting on her bed when she goes to sleep. In Zamor, Orcim Aksala follows the bleating of a lost goat and when the goat is found, so too is the Radiating Staff of Little Ogre.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Bescanon portal RP
« Reply #1: October 12, 2018, 06:07:10 AM »
Couple of interesting things. This is the portal which was planted around removing magic from the world. It seems to have tidied up portal stones, maybe for good. I'm interested to know what makes a region more or less magical?

Also, who is Alyssa? Tis name of one of my nobles from DWI but don't know if there's an adventurer by that name. Certainly there are many wounded characters now (are they all adventurers?).

Finally, I'm interested to know if the characters rewarded with items were chosen deliberately according to some schema or whether it was random. And was it Joe who planted the portal in the first place?

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 12, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
I don't know.

I don't know.

And I don't remember who planted the portal.  ;)

But...I figure there is some rhyme or reason to it somewhere.  I'm just hopeful that this really does portend an end to the the massive magical attacks on EC.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 12, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
I'm interested to know what makes a region more or less magical?
Something that's been hidden, generally, and will remain so. But the point of it is, reducing magic in regions makes it harder to use scrolls in a region.

Everyone named (except Joe, an NPC) is an EC character. Some of those adventurers are paused.

This was a one-off wipe of existing stones and magic. More stones and magic will accumulate, but due to code changes before this event, the rate will be much less than before (90% less portal stone generation for all islands except BT, setting portal stones in a circle possibly failing and seriously wounding or even killing advy, more mechanics to reduce magic in regions et cetera). So yes, the goal is that magic on EC becomes much, much less common/frequent.

Characters rewarded with items were random. You had to be in the same region as a lost item and if multiple people in region, one randomly chosen.

No, not Joe. It was a character name that was probably previously mentioned in the initial events of Bescanon some months prior.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:12:00 PM by Vita »

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #4: October 12, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
For RP purposes, is this at all related to the portal events on beluaterra and/or elsewhere as well?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 12, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
For RP purposes, is this at all related to the portal events on beluaterra and/or elsewhere as well?

Yes. Very directly.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 12, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Yes, the Disturbance in the Distance roleplay and violet eyes should have indicated that.

And I forgot to mention Jarbosh being an NPC too. He's an old BattleMaster 'boogeyman' and BM humour from old school BM. Started as someone warning folks about Josh Rogala by warning about someone whose name starts with J and ends with osh. Either Darby or Baceolus families then responded, "Not Jarbosh?!?". It was then used by many in things like Cult of Jarbosh. Since last BT Invasion, I've taken up using the name more in BM lore.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 13, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
It is possible I misremember, but I remember Jarbosh as a powerful Daimon...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 13, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
It is the family name I chose to use for the daimon GM account I run. I don't know if it was used in any other daimon lore.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #9: October 14, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
It is possible I misremember, but I remember Jarbosh as a powerful Daimon...

I think the history behind the name originated as a kind of inside joke, but he had a wiki

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Jarbosh
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"