Author Topic: The War  (Read 103923 times)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The War
« Reply #75: November 06, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
I have 0 problems with characters. However, it seems more with player's decisions. There is a difference when you know that the mechanics will punish you for being too big and instead of following the mechanics (imposed to make the game more fun for everyone), you decide to leave 4 rogue regions behind you to take Oligarch, for example. I have not seen characters justifying this... only players finding ways to dodge the changes made to make the game more dynamic.

In this case you should certainly call them out IC and keep repeating why IC this makes no sense. Perhaps even add an OOC letter pointing out the weirdness.

I'm playing more for RP reasons than military ones, so I will not bother to fill a request. I just think that two sides using a crazy mechanic does no good to anyone.

I am playing mostly for RP reasons as well and you'll find that Garas is my only truly 'military' character. In fact, Goriad in Astrum has repeatedly protested and objected to people using tactics that he finds dishonorable and in his case against his faith, no matter the IC advantages it might otherwise bring. One of such was a while ago when the General proposed to starve unterstrom rather than sieging it. I have had realms fail because I refused to take IC advantages where I could, but Garas' RP has gone very far and at this point he is more of a broken man, fueled with hatred. In fact, there is a referendum in Highmarch because of him, as he ordered a brutal TO of Tokat even though the peasants were friendly and loyal to Highmarch (IC it makes sense to always do a friendly TO here, but RP wise Garas just wants to kill and burn those who wronged him, who burned him alive through magic and who took his family and realm away. This hatred and desparation also mean he will use anything and everything to accomplish that goal). Plus the whole Oligarch foundation was to my personal detriment as Garas was making 'me' 2200 gold a week in Sirion, but it was boring for everyone else.

EDIT: It's easy to make a character to follow some of your player's choices in face of different mechanics. I'm not a saint... I'am playing BM since 2006 and playing RPG's for a long time, being GM or Storytelller. When you see a winning opportunity, your character's morale is easily adjustable if the prize seems satisfactory to you. And that's not personal, I did not even know you had found out about the archers. It's more of a generic and impersonal complaint because I've been through this situation many times in RPGs.

I actually generally steer away from that (see above) but do understand your point here and agree that two sides using this tactic of the archers can somewhat look silly and it will also depend on how many dedicated volunteers for guarenteed wounded state you have etc. If it is changed, I won't complain, but while it is not, Garas will use it, but Goriad certainly wouldn't for instance (although he doesn't know that much about military to begin with, just the basics).
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela