Author Topic: The War  (Read 103131 times)

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The War
« Reply #150: December 13, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
Consistency is what makes you a good general. If your success is only limited for a couple battles, you suck period.

Let's see how this Kinsey fellow will do. Hopefully he will put more of a fight than Elric.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: December 13, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
You guys are brutal these days, damn. I would love to see any of you try to lead armies of multiple nations in a war on this scale. It is more challenging than it looks  ;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: December 14, 2017, 02:18:19 AM »
Consistency is what makes you a good general. If your success is only limited for a couple battles, you suck period.

Let's see how this Kinsey fellow will do. Hopefully he will put more of a fight than Elric.
But that make Elric looks good if what you say is anything to go by. Since Elric led the armies and pushed till Fallangard's Hamadan city without any losses. After Hamadan city filled with peasant militia, that went downhill quickly.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: December 14, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
Like when he forgot to see that a region we attacked had level 2 fortifications? Seems great.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: December 14, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
Alright, we must admit that was a massively embarrassing oversight, but give the guy some credit. He's trying his best. Sirion isn't exactly a compact, geographically-unified realm overflowing with gold and elite troops these days. More like a bloated morass festering beneath the weight of its own bureaucracy, but still. Outside of being cleaved in half to form twin realms, Sirion can't do much to remedy its financial woes.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: December 14, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
You can't tell me that Ecthelion's gold is gone...unless he's not sharing of course.

Also he wasn't the only one who missed the fortifications. Several elders in the south also were pressing Garas to order a retreat and I was just like, but why? After few messages back and forth it turned out that they didn't know Tokat had lvl 2 walls. Garas was like "why the hell did you think we assaulted this region in the first place?"

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: December 14, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »
Rivers of gold. I had Avamar/Krimml/Oligarch and several rural regions, etc. And Dürion had Trinbar. Almost all the gold, plus the one from prisoners, for years... all sent to him. And that's just from me. Add all the other Dukes and some Lords to this list.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: December 14, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »

That depends on the nature of the war. Very few wars in Battlemaster are evenly matched. There's usually one powerful side and one underdog. Several of the Generals I've seen called 'great' during the years I've played have actually been ones that led armies that already had a numbers and power advantage. The really strategy game minded players often tend to be attracted to the realms that already have established military reputations too.

A General who leads a small realm and wins a couple of battles could actually be punching well above his or her weight. People would probably still say, 'oh. they suck' because they lose a majority of their battles. But it's probably the case that it was very hard to win battles anyway.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: December 14, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
That depends on the nature of the war. Very few wars in Battlemaster are evenly matched. There's usually one powerful side and one underdog. Several of the Generals I've seen called 'great' during the years I've played have actually been ones that led armies that already had a numbers and power advantage. The really strategy game minded players often tend to be attracted to the realms that already have established military reputations too.

A General who leads a small realm and wins a couple of battles could actually be punching well above his or her weight. People would probably still say, 'oh. they suck' because they lose a majority of their battles. But it's probably the case that it was very hard to win battles anyway.

Yea, I agree with this completely.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: December 14, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
Same here although I hope you're not trying to argue this specific case here :p

But you're right. There's often one side with a clear advantage as few people are willing to risk their marbles even in BM

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: December 14, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »

No, I was just making a broad point about how people perceive Generals and/or Marshals in the game.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #161: December 14, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »

He only held off the entire Southern Alliance virtually by himself for years.  ::)
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: December 14, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
No, I was just making a broad point about how people perceive Generals and/or Marshals in the game.

And armies in general.

Enweil was a superpower during a long time, on BT, before the fourth invasion killed off a third of its nobles and blighted key economic regions.

Having been marshal and general there, I can assure anyone that, save maybe for its very early days, its crushing military might was the result of it's overpowering economy more than of the discipline of its nobles or genius of military leaders preceding me. I could never rely on good movement rates or prompt scouting, but at least I knew we had a ton of gold and that eventually I'd have a huge ass army in place wherever I wanted.

It's amazing how many strong realms really just owe it all to their overpowered regions granting them huge economic advantages. As a bonus, excess wealth tends to attract more players in general, and especially more mobile and active ones, which helps solidify the hegemony of those realms.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: December 15, 2017, 01:01:19 AM »
Alright, we must admit that was a massively embarrassing oversight, but give the guy some credit. He's trying his best. Sirion isn't exactly a compact, geographically-unified realm overflowing with gold and elite troops these days. More like a bloated morass festering beneath the weight of its own bureaucracy, but still. Outside of being cleaved in half to form twin realms, Sirion can't do much to remedy its financial woes.
Yes, I gave Elric credit too. He has offensive mind to attack, hence the attacks up till Hamadan city. Maybe we will do well to do what he suggested, burn all the lands than taking them like what Xavax war till the former Xavax lands become useless. This is war of attrition, we all recognize that :P

You can't tell me that Ecthelion's gold is gone...unless he's not sharing of course.

Also he wasn't the only one who missed the fortifications. Several elders in the south also were pressing Garas to order a retreat and I was just like, but why? After few messages back and forth it turned out that they didn't know Tokat had lvl 2 walls. Garas was like "why the hell did you think we assaulted this region in the first place?"
Yes, it is funny that we assaulted this region with its wall intact. In fact, nobody not even ally who once has this region is sharing any intel information until my character presses for more.

Rivers of gold. I had Avamar/Krimml/Oligarch and several rural regions, etc. And Dürion had Trinbar. Almost all the gold, plus the one from prisoners, for years... all sent to him. And that's just from me. Add all the other Dukes and some Lords to this list.
Yeah, river of gold. While I cannot assume I know how much income Oligarch city and by extension Ecthelion is earning, I think Sirion should have no income problem, compared to...

But you're right. There's often one side with a clear advantage as few people are willing to risk their marbles even in BM
Back when Brock was a General, he found it difficult leading Nivemus fighting against Perdan especially their PMW which are considered elite units. However Ryu eventually found a solution for a good allied defense of Nivemus lands and Sirion lands, which led us down the path of pushing Perdan back till Duchy of Perdan. If I have to recognize a good General and even a good Commander of all allied armies, I will put Ryu name down first.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: December 15, 2017, 01:21:32 AM »
Elric: Attack Hamadan!

Fallangard: You've just activated my trap card!