Author Topic: Elves  (Read 10018 times)

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Elves
« Topic Start: November 20, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
I keep seeing people rp'ing tons of stuff about other nobles (especially from Sirion) being elves. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it was a rule that unless you made an Elf before the "Humans Only" rule was put into effect, your character is a human. Seeing as though that rule was put in place over 5 years ago (I'm sure it's more but over 5 is safe) I very much doubt any character is still alive from back then. I might be wrong but it seems a safe assumption.

Why do people keep doing it? Is it not enforced any more?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Elves
« Reply #1: November 20, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
It's more than 10 years ago.

And it's always been a bit ambiguous. Personally, I'd be inclined to say that at this point, everyone's human, but I'm not going to go so far as to attempt to make that a GM fiat.

I think somewhat more important is not assuming someone's race—just because they're in Sirion doesn't mean they're an elf, so unless you happen to know that a particular character is roleplayed as such by their player, don't claim that they are one.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 20, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »
I'm not sure either but I do think there are some in Sirion who are RP'ing as elves.

I was pretty damn sure it was over 10 years but I was being safe with 5 lol.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 20, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Bronnen how do you mean RP about them?

Garas for instance does use the term 'Elves'  often but that works mostly within propaganda. Also I believe there are some very old chars left in Sirion who could be Elves.

If you are talking about people seeing other chars with pointy ears, then you may have a point, but then it depends on how it's written.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 20, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
Started playing in 2006, never knew about "just X chars can be elves because of, well, just humans!". I remember Oligarch being an Orc thing before I arrived, but at that time we had people with names like Sir Circle or General Boom Boom. Not knowing the rule, I started with Erik being an elf, but whatever, it's more for pure RPG than any other reason. Like the player of Garas said, it works well when people want to do some propaganda against Sirion. I don't see people roleplaying elves anymore, with Erik being the last one I can remember; I made his legitimate children "half-elves", just regular humans, but keeping some folk tradition. Now, with my new family, I made the RP like: "Erik left with his true elvish sons and daughters, leving behing his thousand human bastards". This way, already knowing the rule, I adjusted the speech... however, they still claim that Erik was an elf. After all, in BM world, what is an elf? Someone with pointed ears and androgenic traits or just someone who was born in Slimbar?

Just saying, Erik always named himself as the Silver Dragon of Sirion, Elune's Favorite, Aienheint incarnated, etc. There is a difference between what you say you are and what you really are. That being said, Sirion's enemies will continue to call Sirion an Elvish realm because it is politically useful: "They're stealing our jobs! Kill all the damn elves and make East Continent great again... for humans!"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:57:39 PM by Eduardo Almighty »
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 20, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »
It's why I still call Ecthelion the Elven Tyrant...not sure if he's human or elf though? I imagine that char should be old enough to be allowed to be an elf?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 20, 2017, 06:13:02 PM »
It's why I still call Ecthelion the Elven Tyrant...not sure if he's human or elf though? I imagine that char should be old enough to be allowed to be an elf?

Well, given that, prior to a name change, he was the "Sir Circle" Eduardo was mentioning...yeah, he's one of the oldest living characters in the game.  ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 20, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
Well, given that, prior to a name change, he was the "Sir Circle" Eduardo was mentioning...yeah, he's one of the oldest living characters in the game.  ;D

Brian must be an 80 year old, but I'd rather believe he's still a little girl of 12... well, maybe like 20 nowadays.
Serpentis again!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 20, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
Also worth remembering that, RP-wise, there are still going to be elven NPCs and peasants around - primarily in the heartlands of Sirion that have never been conquered by any other realm.

So even if all the player nobles are human at this point it still works for propaganda process to claim that Sirion is really ruled by the elves through their human puppets.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 20, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
People still talk about the Black Hand in Avamar, even though no player has ever claimed such an inheritance ever since. Even with Erik I tried to keep this "Black Hand mood", especially when Avamar had three cities and Erik was megalomaniac, with everyone asking or suggesting that he should create his own kingdom in Avamar. I like it when certain aspects are kept and it is preferable to what happened in Trinbar, where the whole story I wrote was erased and ignored... not strangely, by the same player of Crixus (who has every position in Swordfell) and now in Trinbar, his own religion named after his char (I suspect merely to win the family fame bonus). If only there were a motive in-game (like the great majority of Pharaohs and Emperors who deliberately destroyed what their predecessors had built), but the form that was made seems just empty and superficial. No one cares anymore.

So, long life to the elves!
Serpentis again!

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 20, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Just leave them be I say. Not worth pissing what few players left over something so trivial.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #11: November 20, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
The whole reason I sent Selenia to EC was to settle down and cross the JeV bloodline with an elven one. Alas, that RP did not go quite as I'd hoped. At the time, no one in Sirion Rpd as actually as Elves. It was so long ago that i think the original noble bloodlines either died out and/or intermarried to the point that everyone is human.

The unique nickname sticks tho :-)
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 20, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
People still talk about the Black Hand in Avamar, even though no player has ever claimed such an inheritance ever since. Even with Erik I tried to keep this "Black Hand mood", especially when Avamar had three cities and Erik was megalomaniac, with everyone asking or suggesting that he should create his own kingdom in Avamar. I like it when certain aspects are kept and it is preferable to what happened in Trinbar, where the whole story I wrote was erased and ignored... not strangely, by the same player of Crixus (who has every position in Swordfell) and now in Trinbar, his own religion named after his char (I suspect merely to win the family fame bonus). If only there were a motive in-game (like the great majority of Pharaohs and Emperors who deliberately destroyed what their predecessors had built), but the form that was made seems just empty and superficial. No one cares anymore.

So, long life to the elves!

Why do you think that when it became clear we'd war Sirion we crafted our flag, realm and everything around Oligarch. Beautiful symbolism to the old times and great enemies etc, although we left the orc bit out.

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 20, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »
I just use it as anti-Sirion propaganda. I sent a few flavor-letters in the past with fabricated stories of Sirion nobles mutilating their ears to look like elves. 

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 21, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »
I just use it as anti-Sirion propaganda. I sent a few flavor-letters in the past with fabricated stories of Sirion nobles mutilating their ears to look like elves. 

I remember those! They were pretty fun.

I don't think anyone IC really believes in the elven thing, my char uses it as a soft insult of the bastards that invade peaceful south. "Those damn elves", "their elven decadence" etc.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)