Author Topic: Elves  (Read 9900 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Elves
« Reply #15: November 21, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
I remember people calling Sirionites knife-ears when Atanamir was around.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 21, 2017, 01:43:18 AM »
Last I remember, the grandfather clause had the following restrictions: had to be an elf before the human-only realm, had to stay in Sirion. Thus after that rule, nobody could become elves, but elves could be lost by character death/deletion and my migratory humanification.

That said, I mean, could have been simpler to just say elves are humans. Like, an ethnicity, or phenotype, or whatever. Because what are elves, anyways? Humans with pointy ears? And in a lot of fantasy world, those ears aren't even all that pointy. RL humans show far greater phenotypic diversity than the difference we see when we look at humans and elves in PJ's LotR movies, for example.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 21, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
Probably the best answer Chenier.

Just calling elves humans works I think.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 21, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
I remember those! They were pretty fun.

I don't think anyone IC really believes in the elven thing, my char uses it as a soft insult of the bastards that invade peaceful south. "Those damn elves", "their elven decadence" etc.

A lot of Dubhaine history is intermingled with the elves and the family predilection for picking handsome, anonymous warriors to father their bloodthirsty daughters means there's a trace of elven blood running through later generations. With the latest generation there's even a marriage to one of Erik's many bastard daughters which is a nod to my respect for (and loathing in equal measure ;)) the old Silver Dragon.

It doesn't matter if the Elves are a separate race or not, they're so deeply embedded in the psyche of EC at this point that erasing them would improve little and make the continent a less colourful place.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 21, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
As I said, in BM world an elf can be just someone who was born in Slimbar (in the heart of Sirion, in the most forested region).

As many people used it for propaganda, Erik used it to differentiate himself from his peers, for he always had himself in the greatest esteem while the rest was just... well, the rest. You poor humans!!!

A lot of Dubhaine history is intermingled with the elves and the family predilection for picking handsome, anonymous warriors to father their bloodthirsty daughters means there's a trace of elven blood running through later generations. With the latest generation there's even a marriage to one of Erik's many bastard daughters which is a nod to my respect for (and loathing in equal measure ;)) the old Silver Dragon.

Like the Tandaros family, with Hector Serpentis Tandaros (son of Yeux Serpentis and Maya Tandaros), I would love to see more people usin th fact that Erik always had a predilection for taking off his pants. It's good to see people using the opportunity that I left behind. Where's my Dubhaine's heir?
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 22, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
Like the Tandaros family, with Hector Serpentis Tandaros (son of Yeux Serpentis and Maya Tandaros), I would love to see more people usin th fact that Erik always had a predilection for taking off his pants. It's good to see people using the opportunity that I left behind. Where's my Dubhaine's heir?

Etain is the daughter of Naevan (son of Brigdha) and Erfrayj, a member of the Serpentis clan whose paternity is less than clear. Erfrayj may be Erik's daughter or granddaughter - or maybe both considering what a nightmare managing his harem must have been. The Dubhaines never marry and practice matrilineal inheritance so Etain's going to have to win the family name the hard way.

Her's isn't the first instance of Elven blood in the Dubhaines though as Rhidhana was conceived during one of Moira's raids in northern Sirion, though the details were never filled in. I can't imagine it would have done Rhidhana's political standing in Fontan much good if it had been known her father was an Elf. The Kinsey's and their allies would have had a field day with that :)

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 22, 2017, 03:38:56 AM »
Hah, I'd always played Ramon as a playboy, fathering many many illegitimate children. His portal mandate almost insisted on it! He only had the one legitimate noble born child between he and Teniel while she were Queen and he Duke. But she is gone and he is dead!

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 22, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »
Hah, I'd always played Ramon as a playboy, fathering many many illegitimate children. His portal mandate almost insisted on it! He only had the one legitimate noble born child between he and Teniel while she were Queen and he Duke.

Erik married his own daughter... I won!

Etain is the daughter of Naevan (son of Brigdha) and Erfrayj, a member of the Serpentis clan whose paternity is less than clear. Erfrayj may be Erik's daughter or granddaughter - or maybe both considering what a nightmare managing his harem must have been. The Dubhaines never marry and practice matrilineal inheritance so Etain's going to have to win the family name the hard way.

I'm glad to know. When you buy a house, you want to invite your friends. I built a hotel, because I wanted unexpect guests to continue the party  :)
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 22, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
I'm glad to know. When you buy a house, you want to invite your friends. I built a hotel, because I wanted unexpect guests to continue the party  :)

I'm toying with the idea of a Hospitalers' guild following on from Brigdha's RPs during the Oligarch siege. Not quite the same as a hotel chain, but given the dubious morals of many BM nobles it wouldn't be long before nature took its course.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 23, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of a Hospitalers' guild following on from Brigdha's RPs during the Oligarch siege. Not quite the same as a hotel chain, but given the dubious morals of many BM nobles it wouldn't be long before nature took its course.

Thy will be done.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)