Author Topic: Under Debate: Adding 'Guild Titles' to title list outside of guild msg groups  (Read 6814 times)

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
Title: Adding 'Guild Titles' to title list outside of guild msg groups

Summary:Not sure how useful or 'desired' this would be, but I haven't seen a topic on this yet, and thought it would be neat. I would like to see the titles/ranks a character has in guilds displayed in their signature line along with other titles they have earned

Details:In a character's signature line currently it reads "John Smith, King of Blintia, Royal of Blintia, Duke of Blint City." I think it would be neat if we added titles/ranks from guilds a character is in as well. I can imagine that if a player/character is in 5 different guilds it could get increasingly more cumbersome, so perhaps we limit it to 'Full' and/or 'Elder' ranks of a guild? I would also imagine that Secret Societies would not have this.. since they are.. secret..

Benefits:Increases the value in the titles/ranks, gives players something to strive for within a guild, rather than growing complacent with their current position helps advertise the guild more

Possible Downsides/Exploits: If a player is in more than 1 or 2 guilds the list of titles could grow drastically. A possible 'solution'/workaround for this could be limiting it to either 'Full' and/or 'Elder' ranks and/or limiting it to 1 or 2 guilds based on which guild you have been in the longest? I think allowing a player to select the guilds (maybe on the character info screen) to display, would be cool, but also understand that development wise that might get tricky and cumbersome, and be more trouble than its worth..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:41:12 PM by Wimpie »
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
If we were ever to do this, we would make it something where you could select up to 2-3 guild/religion titles to use. A given noble can be in an arbitrary number of guilds, so the list could go on and on if we just threw them all in there.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
My thought as well! I think it would be a neat addition to give players that don't necessarily have a Lordship/Government position a title to feel proud of rather than Knight/Dame or Sir/Lady
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
It would also give an incentive for realms to create guilds. A ruler could create the 'Most Noble and Excellent Order of Keplerstan' and a noble awarded a certain rank in that guild could include 'Knight Commander of the Most Noble and Excellent Order of Keplerstan' in their signature.

Equally it would allow the creation of flavour titles to be used in signatures, like 'President of the Keplerian Senate' or 'Royal Historian of the Keplerstani Empire'. So I think a feature like this would get a lot of usage.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I would very much be in favor of Anris's suggestion. Rania isn't just some priestess, she's the Oracle, damnit! XD
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
We would definitely need a limit on how many such titles to show. Possibly only allow it from guilds with at least a certain number of members, too, and only elder ranks. I don't really like the idea of just any lord creating his one-man guild to give himself the title of Emperor of the Universe. Nor every single noble having extra titles, it already feels like there's too many titles for everybody as it is.

Not sure how I feel about custom public titles being granted by guilds, either. Always felt that realms should have some powers about that.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
We would definitely need a limit on how many such titles to show. Possibly only allow it from guilds with at least a certain number of members, too, and only elder ranks. I don't really like the idea of just any lord creating his one-man guild to give himself the title of Emperor of the Universe. Nor every single noble having extra titles, it already feels like there's too many titles for everybody as it is.

Not sure how I feel about custom public titles being granted by guilds, either. Always felt that realms should have some powers about that.

I agree with some of what you said here.. But definitely not the notion that there are too many titles for everybody as it stands.. There are the government positions, the steward of cities, lordships, and marshal. Doesn't seem like too many to me..

But I do agree, that we need a limit on the # of titles displayed, Elder ranks makes the most sense to me.. and I am not sure how I feel about the idea of we need 'X' number of members in order to qualify. I don't think there is going to be a surge of Guilds being created just so someone can have the title of Grand Mega-Supreme Emperor of the 'I am better than everyone' guild..

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I can immediately see how this would benefit religions or place like Luria that RP their Duke's as Kings.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Not a fan of this, unless we clearly limit the amount of titles.

With the playerbase we have, we mostly have the same people holding many titles. Adding guild/religion titles with this would make signatures in most cases longer than the actual messages they're writing  ;D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I agree with some of what you said here.. But definitely not the notion that there are too many titles for everybody as it stands.. There are the government positions, the steward of cities, lordships, and marshal. Doesn't seem like too many to me..

But I do agree, that we need a limit on the # of titles displayed, Elder ranks makes the most sense to me.. and I am not sure how I feel about the idea of we need 'X' number of members in order to qualify. I don't think there is going to be a surge of Guilds being created just so someone can have the title of Grand Mega-Supreme Emperor of the 'I am better than everyone' guild..

When I started playing, there were the 4 government positions and lordship. That was it, at least as far as I recall.

Then more titles were added, like marshal and vice-marshal, so every realm has at least 2 more titles, possibly 4. At some point duchies were created (correct me if I'm wrong, but duke used to just be a lordship title with extra perks), so every realm gained a handful more titles, and then duchies ceased to be tied to cities, so many realms got a few more. A typical realm of 28 nobles and 10 regions (2 cities) shared 14 titles, now that same 10 region realm can have 3 dukes and 2 armies for a total of 21 titles for what is probably half as many nobles, going from a ratio of 2 nobles per title to 1.5 title per noble.

Getting a title used to be hard and used to mean something. Now, they come a buck a dozen, one can be new and barely even try and a title will come. The number of titles per realm grew while the player base shrank.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
When I started playing, there were the 4 government positions and lordship. That was it, at least as far as I recall.

Then more titles were added, like marshal and vice-marshal, so every realm has at least 2 more titles, possibly 4. At some point duchies were created (correct me if I'm wrong, but duke used to just be a lordship title with extra perks), so every realm gained a handful more titles, and then duchies ceased to be tied to cities, so many realms got a few more. A typical realm of 28 nobles and 10 regions (2 cities) shared 14 titles, now that same 10 region realm can have 3 dukes and 2 armies for a total of 21 titles for what is probably half as many nobles, going from a ratio of 2 nobles per title to 1.5 title per noble.

Getting a title used to be hard and used to mean something. Now, they come a buck a dozen, one can be new and barely even try and a title will come. The number of titles per realm grew while the player base shrank.

You're probably forgetting about 'Steward' in this math as well.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
You're probably forgetting about 'Steward' in this math as well.

Haha, yea, I guess, but I don't really remember anyone using that. Especially since we can give that access to the banker (once more). Unlike the others it doesn't really display anywhere though.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I agree, there's a lot of titles. That's why I like the idea of being able to choose which ones get displayed and I really like the idea of capping them out at 3 max.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Then I can just create a guild and give myself the title 'Supreme JeVondair' and laugh my ass off while writing a letter. I mean this proposal is rather vulnerable to abuse. And not all 'abuses' are going to be so obvious.

Why would someone outside a guild care if you're the 'Arch Bunnyhopper' ?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It should probably only be available to guilds over a certain minimum number of members.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan