Author Topic: Under Debate: Adding 'Guild Titles' to title list outside of guild msg groups  (Read 6818 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
What if instead of just a 'requires this many members' threshold, we make the existence of public guild titles more exclusive? By that I mean, only the top 3 largest guilds by member count, with any ties broken by total guildhouses. That way there is more incentive to either grow your own members and guildhouses, or to destroy rival guildhouses.

If this were to be implemented, the following guilds would be granted public titles.
EC Guilds: Southern Alliance, Freedom Fraternity, Hunting & Swordfighting
BT Guilds: Morgul Order, Northern Alliance, The Inquisition
Colonial Guilds: Colonial Senate, The Valentic Order, Long Eared Hare
DWI Guilds: Royal Rangers, The Iron League, Garrison

I still agree with having to select one title to be displayed, if you are eligible for multiple guild titles. There is enough title clutter at the end of messages as-is.

On religions, I think they're a bit more special than guilds, so I would be okay with all religions having public titles. I'm somewhat inclined against aspirants in guilds and religions getting public titles, but not strongly so.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Still not very much in favour of this.

Except for Religions (because you can only join 1 religion), why would anyone else on the continent care what rank/title you have in a certain guild? (Cfr. Gabanus comment). What if I don't want any religion/guild title to be displayed?

Also, if we're only going to display the biggest guilds, the 'regular' nobles without a title will probably not have any meaningful title in such large guilds anyway. By experience I know that the ones with many titles in a realm usually take up the elder seats or any interesting 'titles' in a guild. While others just get a 'Knight' 'Aspirant' 'Follower'. Which does not really contribute to anything..

I'm rambling, maybe I'm not clearly seeing any advantages for this feature at this time. It's not that I'm completely against.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
Then I can just create a guild and give myself the title 'Supreme JeVondair' and laugh my ass off while writing a letter. I mean this proposal is rather vulnerable to abuse. And not all 'abuses' are going to be so obvious.

Why would someone outside a guild care if you're the 'Arch Bunnyhopper' ?

I don't think its a matter of anyone outside the guild "caring" about it.. but rather a matter of pride for the member of the guild who worked hard to earn the title. Wouldn't you want the realm to know if the G2 had the guild title of Chief Deathbringer for the Inquisition? :P

I like the idea of selecting the titles to display and capping the titles at 3 as well..
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Actually, upon reflection, it sounds like the real solution here would be to display religion titles and to give realms more control over title customisation/awarding of honourary titles.

Perhaps you should be allowed to customise all the titles (with the various title systems available as default options), and to create and award one or two honourary titles per realm. That leaves realms the ability to do the customisation they want (e.g. calling Lurian Dukes "Kings") and the ability to award special honours (e.g. "Royal Daimon Slayer") without needing to use guilds as a work around.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Actually, upon reflection, it sounds like the real solution here would be to display religion titles and to give realms more control over title customisation/awarding of honourary titles.

The real nugget here is that religions need a complete overhaul anyways...
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
Still not very much in favour of this......

I'm rambling, maybe I'm not clearly seeing any advantages for this feature at this time. It's not that I'm completely against.
@Wimpie, I hear your concerns and think they are valid, you bring up some decent points I hadn't thought about. My main reasoning for bringing this topic up was that it feels like guilds are just there in the game and don't really add anything RP wise.. Where I feel adding the ability to have Full/Elder ranks display their titles if they wish - and limit the # of titles 1 noble can display at the end of a message might add some flavor and RP value to Guilds, as people outside the guild can see John Smith has the title of 'Arch Daimon Hunter' and it might add some incentive for people to join guilds... At least that is my hope/desire. I also think its something to celebrate if you attain the rank of XYZ in a guild, and that you should be able to share that achievement with other players, not just the people in the guild..

I agree about the religious titles as well, I think that would add a lot to the game in terms of pride in accomplishments.

Perhaps I am projecting too much of myself onto all players in the game..

Perhaps you should be allowed to customise all the titles (with the various title systems available as default options), and to create and award one or two honourary titles per realm. That leaves realms the ability to do the customisation they want (e.g. calling Lurian Dukes "Kings") and the ability to award special honours (e.g. "Royal Daimon Slayer") without needing to use guilds as a work around.
@Antonine
 I LOVE the idea of giving realms more control over title customization/awarding of honorary titles.. Though I do see a lot of potential problems with that, most of which have already been echoed in previous posts in this thread..

A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I think the customization of realm titles has been a frequently asked feature, but also frequently rejected.

I'd have to await comments about Delvin/Vita on that.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I think the customization of realm titles has been a frequently asked feature, but also frequently rejected.

I'd have to await comments about Delvin/Vita on that.

I thought it was just forever "on hold". I mean, the game also has "weak/balanced/strong" as groundworks, it just never amounted to anything.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron