Author Topic: Is it normal for a new ruler to lose all titles/gov positions and duchies?  (Read 24720 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Don't forget not all behaviours get reported. When someone gets reported, that person is not only going to be punished for what he was reported for, he may get punished for anything Titans find along the way. So punishments can stack up pretty quickly if the person has been doing something seriously wrong without the titans knowing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Crixus has been hailed as a problematic player for a very long time. Yet the players of Swordfell gave him free reign to continue this and to keep hoarding more and more.

Now he overtly broke the rules. And he got punished for it.

And people are protesting... what exactly? What on earth do you see that is worth protesting, worth threatening to quit over?

Your parents didn't raise you, Bill Gates, the guy you know in person, did. He birthed you, your parents' reaction was neither peaceful nor calm.

What now? Those sentences make zero sense. None of it makes sense. I can't even agree or disagree with the statement because I'm utterly clueless as to what its meaning is intended to be.

And to get it straight, no one's cheering over anyone quitting. But that doesn't mean we should sympathize. As far as I can tell from what has been said so far, those players complaining have zero legitimate grievances.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yeah that sentence makes zero sense. Not sure what he was trying to prove that sentence.

I understand removing Crixus impacted everyone in Swordfell but I am sure players will overcome.

Plus, with him out of the picture, people can finally split the titles.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Indeed, not everything gets reported and Titans don't go *looking* for things to punish. They're too busy being your fellow players. And yes, if Titans find other rule infractions, they will also punish them. As an admin, I have full access to what the Titans see and do, and that is exactly what happened here.

Crixus was reported for strategic secession. This means seceding in order to circumvent recruiting-in-capital-only restriction. It was also noticed he was sending incredibly detailed orders about exactly which actions to take, even telling the character who seceded the exact details of the realm's name, government et cetera. Telling other characters which estates to occupy. This is excessive and leaves no choice or involvement from players. BattleMaster is fundamentally a game of peer interaction, not a game of minmaxing. Coming from a ruler, with the responsibility to the game as a government member, and significant influence over the players of their realm, this is harassment.

Regarding other secessions, Titans cannot act on what they are not knowledgeable about. Titans also have the capability to look at more evidence than a player does, and may reach a different conclusion based upon what any single player may observe.

I would also note that Titans have, for many years, been quiet lenient and inclined towards warnings, with the exception of multicheaters who are instantly locked. There are remarkably few times the Titans move to act more significantly than private or public warnings, and when they do, it is usually because of either the significance of an infraction, a past history of infractions by players, holding a government position with more responsibility, or a long-time player who should know better, or some combination of the aforementioned.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
And since many warnings are private, you don't often see them. So some people think Titans come out and hammer people for no reason. There are cases when a person was warned several times privately. There are also cases where Titans need to act quickly. When Titans do come down hard, it is often the person who was punished stepped over Inalienable Rights or other big No No's.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
If a government members breaks the government rules, or otherwise abuse their position, it is completely warranted to remove them from their positions. This has been the policy for well over a decade, if not all of BattleMaster's history. Yes, it affects the players in their realms, that is inevitable in any punishment. But the players were being affected by the rules infractions already. Removing them removes that player from continuing to abuse their position. The Titans are interested in enforcing fair play, by the rules of the game, not in preventing players from being affected by unforeseen circumstances. Sometimes in life, !@#$ happens. This is simulated in BM by the existence of bugs, and rarely, Titan involvement.

As noted on the Government Rules wiki page, "This is a game, not the military, even if it simulates a martial society. Try to guide people. Work with suggestions and help and leave people their autonomy. A strict hierarchy of orders and blind followers is more efficient, yes. It also causes people to lose the fun and leave the game." This was the specific issue with Crixus's specific micromanaging orders.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I can personally vouch for the "private message unless you're a longtime player who should know better."

I got hit with one of those about a year ago. I did learn from it though and stopped.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
Of course it makes zero sense. It's entire purpose was to make zero sense. It was the same logical structure as Chenier's sentence I quoted before, only with a different vocabulary. To point out how nonsensical it was even though it made apparent sense thanks to corelative vocabulary.

Nevermind. I rest my case. You're right, I'm wrong. I indeed was making serious grieviances, uhm... unknowingly, but now you set me straight and I see the error of my ways, so I won't be mad about it anymore. Because I totally was mad... apparently. But now I'm not! Thanks. ;)
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
Well. Anyway. I'm out.  I just left the game.

I'll take the time to read the above posts later.

But it's a game. If it starts seeming like a chore, and you couldn't play your character "properly" (considering Dwilight is the SMA continent, and being wishy-washy on stuff isn't Franklin's thing, but game mechanics was putting him there), easy. Don't. There's other games.

I'm not doing it as a protest. I just hope that the next time the Titan's think they're punishing one or two people's behaviour in-game, that they realize they may be punishing 10-12 others that were just bystanders. And making it an absolute !@#$ing chore to play in-character, yet you're really just trying your best to pick up the pieces their arbitrarily bull!@#$ decisions put in front of other players to try and recover any sort of story from.

Me?  Couldn't be bothered. Got better things to do.

Try not to !@#$ up 10+ other people's game while trying to punish one or two. It's fairly good advice.

Thanks all. It's been fun. Until it wasn't.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Indeed. When it becomes a chore, that is when you leave.

Too bad things did not work out for you. Bye.

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
As a teeny tiny bit of other advice, maybe being a little bit nicer sometimes lappallanch, to people trying to ask vaguely valid newbie questions on the Helpline bit of the forum would make the Titans look a bit less !@#$witish.

Anyway. Have a good one all.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
As a teeny tiny bit of other advice, maybe being a little bit nicer sometimes lappallanch, to people trying to ask vaguely valid newbie questions on the Helpline bit of the forum would make the Titans look a bit less !@#$witish.

Anyway. Have a good one all.

What do I have to do anything with titans? You thought I was a titan? ROFL. Anyway, have a good one as well.

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
Perhaps you are not a good one to say then what "was cheating", if you are just a player of the game.

Nor,  "perhaps you should think before you acted".

Not necessarily a toxic game, it has a quite nice community generally. But, wow. There are some....

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
Samboji, you're right that it was a helpline question thread and it unnecessarily devolved into weird discussion about titans decision and toxic behavior. And I contributed to derailing this thread. I am truly sorry man. Battlemaster is kinda like writing a huge co-op story and that can be mighty fun. If anything I did took away your joy of it I sincerely apologize.

I hope you're ok, and see you man, take care.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
Cheers. Will do. Thanks.