Author Topic: Under Debate: Different levels of imprisonment  (Read 4220 times)

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Under Debate: Different levels of imprisonment
« Topic Start: December 08, 2017, 03:33:32 AM »
Title: Different levels of imprisonment

Summary: A judge may change a prisoners imprisonment to either a lighter type ("House Arrest") or a harsher type ("Oubliette") from the current type ("Dungeon"). This could be done to provide nicer treatment to a cooperating or friendly prisoner, or deliver a more punishing treatment to a disagreeable one.

Details: This idea came to me through interaction between my Judge characters and those they've held prisoner (and are slightly lifted from Crusader King 2). I suggest three types of imprisonment be created. One would be as how prisoners are currently handled (which we can call "Dungeon") for the other two:

House Arrest: A lighter form of imprisonment, the prisoner is treated with respect and more like a guest (who unfortunately can't leave). A prisoner under House Arrest can send and receive messages normally (like they paid off a guard while in the dungeon) and has a bonus on escape attempts (as, while guards are still present, they are more bound by their word of honor to not attempt escape). Perhaps escape attempts from House Arrest can cause a hit to the escapee's Honor?

Oubliette: The harsher form of punishment, basically putting the prisoner in a hole of a cell accessible only from a hatch or a hole high above. Escaping from an oubliette is much harder than a normal cell, you're less likely to bribe guards for news, and should probably cause a hit to the Judge's honor if the character is a noble.

Switching a prisoners accommodations would take an hour of time (to set up rooms/cells, get guards in place, etc.)

Benefits: Currently Judges have little in the way of positive interaction with their prisoners, they can steal their gold and items, or torture them, or even kill them (if they have a ban or are a commoner). This will give them a carrot to go with their sticks, and even a way to seed doubt (giving benefit to one prisoner to make others wonder what might have gone on between the two to deserve it), and a negative interaction that, while harsh, isn't as extreme as torture or theft.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: None that I can think of.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:41:01 PM by Wimpie »

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Re: Different levels of imprisonment
« Reply #1: December 08, 2017, 05:23:31 AM »
*cough CKII cough*
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 08, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
Give me mortality and an execution option!  ;D
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 08, 2017, 09:09:20 AM »
Downside: All judges will probably move prisoners to the hole (the oubliette thing you describe), making it harder to escape than already is.

I think few Judges will opt to move them to the 'House Arrest' kind of thing, to be honest.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 08, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
Downside: All judges will probably move prisoners to the hole (the oubliette thing you describe), making it harder to escape than already is.

I think few Judges will opt to move them to the 'House Arrest' kind of thing, to be honest.

That can be leveled out by limiting things or upping the costs.
perhaps limit the oubliette to only one prisoner, and or make the oubliette cost allot of honor.
Nobles where ussually threated very well in prison back in those days, holes are for commoners, not nobles.
Also limiting the oubliette to banned nobles only would prevent new players to end up with characters cut off from the game.

Any attempt to make prison (and especially getting wounded) less restricting the game is very welcome i think.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 08, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »
Wouldn't mind seeing an option to mutilate prisoners like CK2. Permanently crippling characters. That could create so many interesting stories than just torture for some skill point penalty.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 08, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
Only if there's a mechanism where the player has to agree to it. Then a random injury is rolled. That would be AWESOME. I'd get quite a few of my characters purposely captured for that >_> Kidding, kidding. Suddenly, I don't feel like retreating.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 08, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
That is the biggest problem of this game. Gotta agree. I don't know why we don't force rulers to agree to have a war too.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 08, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
War is one thing. Permanent debilitating mutilation entirely another.

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 08, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
I hope when the dev team opens a new war island, they would actually allow infiltrators to be able to actually kill characters. Allow characters to die in battle too. And add mutilation. See how brutal it gets.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 08, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Now THAT would be fun. A no-holds-barred full PvP island for the more vicious would be amazing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 08, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I hope when the dev team opens a new war island, they would actually allow infiltrators to be able to actually kill characters. Allow characters to die in battle too.

Since the reopening of the War Island a few years ago, it has always included full mortality.

And add mutilation. See how brutal it gets.

This would be far too much work for far too little reward. One of the primary RP rules of BattleMaster is that you don't get to violate the integrity of someone else's character.

Take away their freedom of movement (imprison)? Sure.

Kill them? Under certain circumstances.

But cut off their hand, put out an eye, or rape them? No. Never, without their explicit permission.

That is why all these sorts of things will stay entirely in RP.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 08, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »
Maybe putting a noble in the oubliette is the only way they could be tortured? And either a limit of how many would be there or prestige/honor drops?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 09, 2017, 02:13:59 AM »

Depends on the honor cost. Honestly, I think house arrest would become relatively common, and offer a good substitute to the "immediate release" agreements many governments sign with each other.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron