Author Topic: The New Xavax  (Read 38445 times)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Re: The New Xavax
« Reply #75: December 14, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »

We seem to remember the same history very differently. Unfortunately, I did not begin recording Xavax history until Jan 2017, over 8 IG years after the fateful Xavax Civil War

Indeed - and through absolutely no fault of your own, much history has been erased, confused, and altered along the way. As for our differing perspectives... Remember, you and your loyalists were not part of the first wave of Xavax arrivals. I was the third (possibly even fourth, as I arrived hand-in-hand with another) noble to join Xavax, according to notes taken at that time. It was later, a mere few days later I believe, that you arrived with your cadre in tow. Though a few days are insignificant in the grand scope of our history, those moments of heavy and constant discussion - often public, but especially private - were integral to crafting the first vestiges of the identity you encountered and helped evolve.

Once I upload the hardrive of the laptop used back then, I'll finally have every single message ever sent or received (by/to Magnus) from the first days of earliest Xavax to the first days of your reign. I meticulously saved, organized, and categorized everything that contributed to our design, culture, faith, history, military, law, and decisions, as well as the material that inspired my own contributions and suggestions. (both IC and OOC) I will be updating the Xavax wiki to reflect that history seeing as how so much confusion, misinformation, and omission seems to shroud its early development.

A lot of the most fundamental aspects of Xavax culture were put into place during those earliest days, even before your arrival - to the point where arriving Xavax of your and later generations fell into two camps: those who immediately donned the Xavax mantle of public lore and those who wanted to reform Xavax in their own image/perspective. Thanks to your history as both an amazing RPer, ambitious plotter, former ruler, and power-broker, you brought a significant volume of alternate plans/ideals along for the ride. You had some interesting ideas, which others and myself enjoyed, and Xavax evolved according to your contributions. Xavax wasn't always receptive to you, however, if you'll recall the many who spoke out against you ever becoming Xerarch, or even a Duchess. Not to mention the many, some of which later became fervent Selenian loyalists, who spoke out in private. (Some of which was sent to you as a warning) Also recall our discussion of Magnus proclaiming you the Phoenix Reborn in order to give you an edge against the competition, and how Magnus (and I as a player) saw Selenia (and JV) as the only loyal pretender worthy of carrying the torch, the only one who would honor the phoenix and prevent the rebels from re-writing the history of our people. You were the one and only acceptable successor, something both Magnus and I believed wholeheartedly for very different yet similar reasons. Unfortunately, the whole Dodger debacle ended up prolonging Magnus' reign and forcing his hoped-for peaceful abdication to instead take place after a bloody civil war. We decided, then, both IC and OOC, that Magnus should be wiped from history in order to cement Selenia as a true Xerarch, representative of the sacred Phoenix, and living embodiment of the Phoenix Reborn. Recall even when we discussed the change from neutral gender terms to calling the Phoenix "She/Her" specifically to give you an ideological advantage. You may or may not recall some of this, but the founding and creation of Xavax culture was so vital an aspect of my life that I discussed it profusely with fellow artists and my best friend - long into undying nights. You seem to have forgotten how much of Magnus' later behavior was tailored by Selenia's request, as a direct result of those protests against you gaining too much power and Magnus/My desire to see you crowned regardless. We laughed, both IC and OOC, about how conspiratorial and ironic it would be for Magnus to pave way to the rise of Selenia. Something I've always recalled quite fondly. Soon enough Magnus abdicated just as we had discussed, and did so in a way that would purposely look like it was all thanks to Selenia that the mad-king Magnus was finally dethroned by civil war. (which you incited partially under Magnus' command/suggestion, and I suspect partially to cement your influence. Never did get to confirm or deny claims and hints that you took an active conspiratorial part in the birth of the civil war, though the fact that Magnus practically told you to do so really makes it a moot point.) Still, that does not change the origin of our foundation, much of which either predated your arrival or your deeper involvement in Xavax politics.

[/size]
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Path_of_Paragons
The Phoenix Cult never took off; It's only torchbearer didn't have the time. The Path was founded years later, almost a decade IG, with the doubledeath of Ulfang Mormont, the First Paragon. It's entirely heroic ancestor worship more in line with what you'd find in Norse, Chinese, or Greek mythos. The author of that religion was one of the original Knights of the Black Swan and sadly no longer plays.

Ulfang Mormont? I never knew any Ulfang, but I fondly remember Uthred Mormont. Damn good player, damn good character. As for the the "phoenix cult", the one I describe was always intended to be a reference to early Xavax culture itself. I do not know enough of the phoenix cult you describe to know who did the torchbearing or what exactly they bore. For all I know, someone took the vague Phoenix cult idea and ran with it. Or it could easily be a sarcastic jab at Magnus earliest desire retire from Xerarchy and become Prophet of the Phoenix cult, which is the reason why I began discussing and planning Selenia's rise in the first place. I vaguely considered the idea after the fall of Magnus, but I felt he was too tainted to make a mark. I refused to contest Selenia's designs, and Magnus would sure have ended up doing so. Becoming an actual structured (official) religion was just a bonus to cohesion and long-term planning. A way to prevent too much of that early spark from being eroded by subsequent generations, ambitions, and assimilations of culture and perspective.

I'd like to learn more about these Knights of the Black Swan. To play the devil's advocate and bring up a point seemingly missed, the Path is reminiscent of Catholicism's retroactive and often posthumous sanctification of pivotal archetypal figures through the selectively romanticized recount of history. Note Blessed Bartolo Longo the satanic priest; St. Junipero Serra (brought Catholicism to California, contributed to the genocide of Natives); St. Augustine the hedonistic party animal; St. Angela of Foligno the materialistic adulteress (who only converted at the age of 40 after most of her family died and she fell into a profound depression); St. Dismas the Thief (one of the two crucified beside Lord Jesus Christ); St. Patrick of Ireland; St. Valentine; and a number of others.

As a pagan with a lifelong passion for Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian, and especially Norse mythology; raised in the Holy Roman Catholic Church in both USA and Brazil, as well as numerous Protestant sect churches thanks to various insistent relatives who feuded with our Catholic side of the family; I note less of a parallel to ancient pagan ancestor worship and more of a pretense of ancestor worship using the saint system of Catholicism.

Albeit, the unique culture of Xavax skillfully combined both systems to varying degrees. Good stuff either way!

[/size] They, particularly Kellan Dodger, made it their mission to make my life...interesting. I credit KD in particular with tipping the first domino that eventually brought Selenia to her knees.

What Dodger giveth, Dodger taketh away. Ironic that he was both the one to tip the domino of your ascent and descent.
[/size]

It's unclear what the Caligan knights will do. I imagine their players will find IG reasons to go wherever the fun on the Island is. Despite a relatively bad reputation, Sirion may see some new refugees. If not that, then their only immediate choices would be with the Xavax or with Vix/Highmarch as the latter are currently having a blast, lol. I do agree that if the Xavax Schism isn't healed, we could end up seeing a war between the two Xavax factions that will occur primarily in the north and east. Idk if I dread or relish the notion. I can't deny that seeing two Xavax realms at eachother's throats would be exhilarating, even if I could never join in the fun. The whole "Who's the true Xerarch" here...It reminds me of the Eastern and Western Popes. Near as I can tell, this Xavax Schism was primarily driven without initial malicious intent by Asher Renodin, with Sigrid Aru'un in a supporting role and opposed to the Phoenix [Old] Guard that includes Selenia's ruling council and other recognized princes.[/size]

Frankly, who knows.

And aye, you about summed up exactly what Asher and I have been joking about. Who reflects the Eastern or Western Roman Empire I don't know, but that's a moot point. Eastern Roman Empire went on to become the powerhouse of Catholic and secular European powers, while the Eastern Roman Empire gave rise to the Byzantines, Ottomans, Orthodoxy, and so much more. Though the Rome-bound Empire collapsed, it instilled so deep a mark on history that even after shattering it managed to reshape faith, government, history, and politics as we know it.

You could arguably claim that while the Western Romans of Constantinopolis were more successfully cohesive, the Western Roman Empire's fragmentation directly led to the wholesale scattering of post-Roman ideologies the world-over. In that vein, perhaps the Byzantine's unity (well... sort of. All that internal conflict though!) did more damage than good. After all, what you deem more successful depends on your perspective.

Would you:
a) rather last far longer in a somewhat cohesive, if isolated and stagnant state of finely-tuned chaos,
or
b) Shatter completely, forcing the culture, knowledge, wisdom, philosophy, technology, and ideology of your empire to be carried to all corners of the world by those who no longer have a home?

Both were profoundly influential in their success, albeit during different timespans and for completely different reasons.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)