Author Topic: A Legacy of Descriptions?  (Read 4923 times)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
Re: A Legacy of Descriptions?
« Topic Start: December 12, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »
Region name
Duchy region is in
Income/population etc
Description of region
Who made the description
When description was changed

Maybe even keep track of changes of Lords, Duchies and Realms so you report back some history of the Lordship in game later down the road (possibly paid like religion spread map which is awesome btw).

Uh, I think you're playing the wrong game. If you want full historical data on basically any data point, you want M&F. I can tell you the exact militia count a of a region no one visited three years ago, or when the second of eight times someone built a market.

But the last 3 are inherent to what I'm proposing be added (and what I'd do the bulk of the work on).

The questions are:

1. Is this something that would be wanted?
2. What other things, besides regions, should it include tracking of? Characters? Units? What?

To explain why I need to explain how this works. Most of the time, when things are described, it's exists next to whatever it's describing, or in a place dedicated just to describing THAT thing. So if you want to describe something else, you need to expand the data table for that new thing or make another one just for describing those new things.

With this, you expand just the table that tracks descriptions, telling it how to relate itself to the new thing being described, and add a line to the code that will tell it out how figure out the data submitted to it. It figures everything else out dynamically.

Say it gets implemented, and it tracks regions only. But down the line, we want to describe families. We just tell it how to understand a unique family, and how to find one, and that's it. You use the same code to get it that you use everywhere else. You use the same logic to update or make new ones that you use everywhere else. You use the same code to find old ones that you use everywhere else. It makes future expansion faster.
Like my programming? Become my patron!