Author Topic: The Chronicles of Matthew Coffey  (Read 4386 times)

Daniel Coffey

• Marketing
  • Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Matthew Coffey
« Topic Start: December 16, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
The Grand Feast: Part 2, Electric Boogaloo

’Thank you, you must have done your homework. Not too far away from the Palace  you’ll find the Rendorian Equestrian Academy.’’ As if he was in a private conversation with a long lost friend, Aldrakar stretched out his arm and pointed in the rough direction of where said Academy was. ‘’My son trained there and some of the Empire’s finest cavalry men and steeds come from there.’’ Good choice of gift.’’ Aldrakar made a smile that looked awefully much like a grin. ‘’Come see me there sometime, we’ll test your horse against some of mine.’’ ~ Aldrakar Renodin

​Matthew followed the direction of Aldrakar's arm, nodding slowly as he was spoken to. Relieved that the gift was well received, the youth could only hope that the Palfrey was good enough. A bit ill tempered, true, but strong and fast, one of his better stallions. Hopefully the stud could find a new stallion, perhaps from Matthews adventures. Returning from his trail of thought, his gaze returned to the king at the invitation to test his skills. It sounded a lot like his old mentor, and horsemanship wasn't one of Matthews fortes. Still, his smile didn't falter as his nerves were tried, "I would relish the chance to ride with you, my lord." A practiced bow followed, stepping back to receive Sir Ceryn.

"It is good to meet you. Sir Matthew Coffey, was it? Of Summerhill Hall? I am Ceryn Onyxis, Knight of Poryatown. Always a pleasure to meet fellow Lurian nobility. Tell me, have you met Sir Cream? I think you and he would get along splendidly." Ceryn waited for realization to dawn on the knight's face at the joke. "Forgive me, sometimes I cannot help myself when such amusements arise in my head. Truly, it is good to meet you. I do like coffee; I'm sure it will be an honor to serve alongside you." ~ Ceryn Onyxis

​Perhaps forgetting his etiquette for a moment, Matthew couldn't help but bark a laugh, turning to his tormentor. During his squiring such banter often got bandied about amongst the hopefuls, all seeking approval from their betters and from each other. The joke was not original, but hearing it in these imperial halls made him feel at home, his posture slouching somewhat to accommodate his newfound ease. "And a pleasure to meet you also, sir Ceryn, I have not the fondness for the drink myself. Too bitter, see, but perhaps if we can find lord Sugar..." his speech trailed off, smirking at the knight as if he'd already said enough.

​Content with viewing Aldrakar's interactions with the other knights, Matthew took the time to inspect his equals. Nodding to himself as he silently named each of their families from their distinctive heraldry; these were the men that had answered the empires call to arms. He appreciated that, these men could be counted upon. More would come, he was certain of it. Straightening up for Aldrakar's speech to Nicholas, he could not help but feel the same pride Aldrakar did. This was his king, and he would see to it that both his family and his overlords would be honoured, as was right and proper in this realm. Once the procedure was finished, he snapped for a servants attention. "A toast perhaps?" Matthew spoke loudly, looking from the group assembled to other nobles nearby to the throne, "To the health of our king and the glory of the empire." He rose a glass of red wine at that, smiling pleasantly enough to those gathered.