Author Topic: Sir Nicholas Archival - Tales and Stories  (Read 3648 times)

Archival

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Nicholas Archival - Tales and Stories
« Topic Start: December 16, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »
Feast at Giask - Part IV

As Aldrakar spoke, Nicholas bowed his head to present openly his fealty. As the King continued with the oath, all other sounds - once so overbearing - felt distant, muted. This was what the knight had come for. Not for the pleasantries or fawning or courtship, but for the pledge of his sword and spirit. It was his duty to do so - and, if nought else, he knew duty.

“Sir Nicholas, you do me proud and make swell my heart with hope as the future just turned to a stark Gold against the black night sky.’’

With the conclusion of the speech, the Great Hall's grandeur and cacophonies returned. Nicholas rose to his feet and sheathed his sword. He bowed his head toward Aldrakar and, with some final words, moved backward in order to better inspect those who had also arrived at the steps to the throne. It remained plainly clear that he was a man not of courtly intrigue, but of action and tenacity.

"In the name of the Emperor and my honour, I swear it shall be so, my king."

Thereafter, he took stock of the responses to his peers, particularly Sir William. With a quietly quirked brow, he waved over another servant, upon which he plucked a second goblet from their silver tray. His nerves had been soothed by the purpose he had received, the beverage now a matter of enjoyment. As Sir Matthew spoke, Nicholas lofted his goblet in toast and repeated, "To the health of our king and to the glory of the Empire." They were good words, well-spoken, he decided. It gave him enough pause to reconsider the ostentatious knight; perhaps there was more bite than bark after all. Only time would tell.