Poll

Should Royal of Keplerstan be replaced by Prince of Keplerstan?

Yes, I long to see a Prince of Keplerstan
3 (37.5%)
No, I am happy with Royal of Keplerstan
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: December 26, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Author Topic: Should Royal of Keplerstan be replaced by Prince of Keplerstan?  (Read 5561 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
This is something that has occasionally crossed my mind from time to time, yet have not developed any strong opinion upon. This vote is non-binding upon any decision and is merely to sample a portion of the community's opinion on the matter.

--
For newer players' awareness, Keplerstan and Evilstani are often used as example realm names in BattleMaster, much like cryptography has Bob and Alice.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Keplerstan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I believe I'm not having enough background for this.

Where is 'Royal of' used exactly?

What use does this have?
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Royal of [Realm] is a title given to all former rulers of a realm who ruled for a significant amount of time. It means you can't be banned by the judge and it's a higher ranking title than knight.

I'd be in favour of making it a realm government setting so realms can choose what the title says. For example, Royal of Highmarch doesn't make sense because it's a democracy, but Statesman of Highmarch would. Similarly, Prince of Luria Nova might make more sense than Royal of Luria Nova.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Not Prince for everyone, that's for sure.

But some alternatives to royal for non-monarchies? Could be fine if decent enough suggestions are made.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Royal of [Realm] is a title given to all former rulers of a realm who ruled for a significant amount of time. It means you can't be banned by the judge and it's a higher ranking title than knight.

Thank you, I'm very much aware of the functionality though.

What my question actually was, is Vita proposing some kind of naming-flexibility of the 'Royal' rank (which you proposed), or something else?

If so, I'm not against giving realm the choice of seeing how they would name their 'Royal'.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I like Prince idea, Vita. I concur with the rest that we can name them, the way we name the Government Positions. Maybe put that Prince naming aspect under that same area.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
I was merely proposing a name change from Royal of Keplerstan to Prince of Keplerstan.

I am in no way opposed to it being a govermment setting, though I would note that will take more time and effort to implement than a flat-title change. Not a lot more, but more nonetheless. In terms of government setting, I'm a bit more hesitant to leave it free-form, unlike government member titles. I very much think royal/prince should be easily distinguishable and wouldn't want someone coming up with royal titles like 'Vaxav of Xavax', 'Marvin of Highmarch', 'Agoranomos of Vix Tiramora', or 'Elm of Eponllyn'. Yes, they may sound cool but they're confusing for players outside your realm, or new to the game. Rather, I'd prefer a pre-selected options like lord titles are.

Again, this poll/thread is merely to gauge interest in an idea that's been floating in my head off and on for several months, there is no guarantee this will be approved. It does seem there is some interest.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I prefer Royal to Prince, though, I feel it more generic. A royal in democracy is weird, but the extra specificity of a "prince" title makes it even weirder.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I am in no way opposed to it being a govermment setting, though I would note that will take more time and effort to implement than a flat-title change. Not a lot more, but more nonetheless. In terms of government setting, I'm a bit more hesitant to leave it free-form, unlike government member titles. I very much think royal/prince should be easily distinguishable and wouldn't want someone coming up with royal titles like 'Vaxav of Xavax', 'Marvin of Highmarch', 'Agoranomos of Vix Tiramora', or 'Elm of Eponllyn'. Yes, they may sound cool but they're confusing for players outside your realm, or new to the game. Rather, I'd prefer a pre-selected options like lord titles are.

100% agree. You should just have a fixed list of options to choose from.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
I agree with the idea of a setlist of options to choose from, preferably dependent on your government type. Royal of a democracy/republic makes zero sense. May as well call you a Constitutional Scholar at that point, or just Scholar :P
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Fixed change from Royal rank to Prince makes no sense to me.

If we should change it, I believe we should make it either

1. A choice of the Ruler
2. Depending on government type/Title usages

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
So here's a list of potential titles - my suggestion would be that a slimmed down version of the list be available to rulers to choose from when it comes to how their realm's "royals" are referred to:

Royal of Keplerstan
Prince of Keplerstan
Dowager King/Queen of Keplerstan
Statesman/Stateswoman of Keplerstan
(Grey?) Eminence of Keplerstan
Senior of Keplerstan
Honoured of Keplerstan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Dowager King/Queen - Neutral, will work if there's nothing better suggested
Statesman/Stateswoman - Acceptable.
The other three - slightly-opposed (seem a bit out-of-place for the role) but great brainstorming :)

If you don't mind, which government types would you match them to? Thus far, I'm thinking monarchy (Dowager King), theocracy (Prince), democracy (Statesman), republic (Statesman), tyranny (Royal). Anarchy can probably just be left with default Royal, since its short-lived.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
So I'd rather see them as a list of options which realms can choose from regardless of government type with the following options:

Dowager King/Queen of Keplerstan
Prince/Princess of Keplerstan
Statesman/Stateswoman of Keplerstan
Eminence of Keplerstan
Royal of Keplerstan
(something religious sounding) of Keplerstan

If we were going to match them specifically to government types then I'd suggest the following:

Monarchy: Dowager King/Queen
Tyranny: Prince/Princess OR Royal (can't decide which)
Theocracy: Eminence
Democracy/Republic: Statesman/Stateswoman

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Senior or Honoured would be pretty neutral for a straight up replacement to Royal.