Author Topic: Lurian Resurgence  (Read 28123 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Resurgence
« Reply #15: January 23, 2018, 09:16:47 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your replies so far, they're very frank and give an earnest opinion on the game as it stands now. I say the next part completely without tone or emotion, so don't take this for anger (ranting, maybe). I truly enjoy the game and don't expect anyone to tell me (or me to tell them) how to play it. I trust you all think that as well :)

However.

I do feel that chastising an honest effort of a new player to try and bring a breath of fresh air into any realm shouldn't be disregarded so callously as shown in these posts. We've had huge success bringing in new players so far, and I think many of them would be disappointed or uninterested with the game after seeing this kind of reaction from a simple recruitment thread. Personally, I feel let down, despite having a hundredth of the time less than many players here on Battlemaster, by the responses given by players here.

Why can't we teach an old dog new tricks? I for one, and many of the new guys certainly think we can. LN might not just be seeing resurgences, but revolutions also.

Who are you to decide LN is simply going to sit with its thumb up its arse some more? I hope we can collectively prove you wrong on that account. After all, why bother taking a continent over that's been burnt to ash, when we still have a perfectly good one to set aflame ourselves?

What's to say that solid RP, community and character development isn't as fun as rabid warfare? I thought this game, especially in Dwilight, was RP heavy. Didn't know it was a silent wargame of number crunching.

Thanks for reading. I hope to see many more join LN, and other realms, from here on out. May we all find common ground beating the snot out of each other when the time comes.

I'm sorry, but history keeps repeating itself. It's not the first time a fresh group arrives to Luria (or other hollowed out realms), only to repeat the very same mistakes of those that preceded them, despite the warnings about their path.

I've been in BM a long time, despite a relatively small hiatus. It takes insane levels of activity to whip an inactive realm into action. It almost never works. I've done it, so have a few others, but the time we put into the game to do that... could be considered a part time job. Easily 15+ hours per week, at peaks, I'm sure some of us doubled that. And that's combining time, experience, and pre-established networks of other addicted and experienced players. It's insane.

The game has changed much since, though. You no longer have to fight a horde of 40+ silent guys who haven't even checked the voting page in years (since it was set-and-forget), nor the nepotic culture that stood in the way of all social mobility. But there is still a lot of inertia.

Overall, though, it always was, and will always remain, much more worthwhile to join a realm full of promise, to build off that, than to take a slumbering giant, and hope to wake it up. Avernus and Anor would likely have been your best bets, otherwise Morek and Swordfell. It's always a good idea to look at a realm you want to fight with, and look at a very simple data point: when was the last time it went to war? Realms that haven't been to war in ages usually not only have strong cultural inclinations not to do so, but also serious game mechanic reasons not to (mostly geography). Even if you magically change the culture, the rest remains.

When it comes down to Luria specifically, you gotta ask yourself: if you want war, then why don't you seek war? Because the moment you start down the "I want war, but I'll do it later" road, you'll never get off it. Don't forget, this is Dwilight. The more you expand, the more monsters attack you. And this means, the more you need to stay on the defensive and fix up your regions. What started up as a proposition to spend a little time to gather more resources for a war end up as a full time occupation in itself.

You want a war? Do you seriously want a war? Ask yourself that. Because if you do, then go make one. The present is always the best time, or just about. Fissoa and Madina are right next door, and no one can help them. There's also Swordfell, that nobody likes. "Just do it".

But it might already be too late... getting all the cities around the sea was "cool", but I suspect Shinnen won't help you in your projects.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:51:10 PM by Chenier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron