Author Topic: Lurian Resurgence  (Read 28609 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Resurgence
« Reply #15: January 23, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
I haven't said much here, but as a former lurian player (and ruler), admin, and lover of everything lurian, I wholeheartedly encourage you (Daniel Coffey) to seriously consider the advice given to you above. That said, I absolutely understand that the cynicism expressed within that advice is quite off-putting to a new player. I'm trying to say that there are some golden nuggets hiding beneath stinky piles of poo.

To condense some words, BM is a primarily social game. The roleplay and character development isn't as fun in an area with fewer people to interact with. That applies in terms of total people seeing and possibly responding to your messages, and competition for various titles and positions.  Not everyone is meant to be a lord, and the more realms exist, the more council positions exist. And the more council positions exist, the more people to disagree and conflict. BM used to be very dense. Over time, with expansion and then playerbase loss, we've created more space than players. Hence the focus on increasing density over the last few years, so that there are more players in a more crowded environment. We've closed two islands and created mechanics to balance roguelands vs human-occupied land; these mechanics are not perfect and still being adjusted. And increasing density must be balanced with consideration for players, as we don't want to send a doomstack to crush folks, but provide gradual pressure. This is the background to the advice encouraging luria to head north to be closer to more realms, or to try to take out Madina and Fissoa for taking up space while not doing much of anything, which would result in increased density with less human-occupied land.

The experiences in BM differ widely by island and realm. Some are more RP-engaging, others are more war and silent. Some excel at both. If you ever find a place you dislike and you aren't able to bring about change, I highly encourage you to try somewhere else.

And I need to run out the door, so I'll stop here, but I want to echo your sentiments of bring fresh air into a realm, proving folks wrong about Luria, and finding common ground beating the snot out of each other. I wish you the best, but I also very much wish you to consider the words written by more experienced players, even if those words are a bit jaded. We've been through a lot over the years, do bear with us. :)