Author Topic: Lurian Resurgence  (Read 28607 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Resurgence
« Reply #15: January 23, 2018, 11:16:48 PM »
Then I wish you the best.

I mentioned a hiatus in my last post: I had been playing BM from 2006 to about 2015, I believe. I had all the titles by then, had played every role. Why'd I quit? Because I kept trying to make a stagnant realm lively, and it finally hit me that, for most of my BM time, that's what I had put so much effort in, with so little reward.

When I came back, a year later, I was (and still am) mostly jaded, I'll concede. But I came back due to the memories of the times I was with promising people, that together, we built awesome things. There's really a lot of things in my play time that I think fondly of. But I made myself a promise: I'm not gonna burn myself out where there isn't any potential. Or where there's too little. I started with just one character, eventually two nobles. I joined and left a bunch of realms. Again and again. Until I found realms that lived up to their promise. And now I'm having fun. But if those realms start to stagnate? Then I'll leave them again, and go elsewhere.

I don't mean to tell you that there's only one way to play. There are many, all equally valid. But this game is also governed by game mechanics, and by strong player cultures. Many things are possible, but not everything is. You want to found an empire that spans over all of Dwilight, for example? That's fine as long as you realize you'll never pull it off. You want to start a colony in Castle Nightscree? That's just never going to work.

Just because people have failed before us, doesn't mean we necessarily will. But if you want reasonable chance at success, then carefully studying why your predecessors failed is critical to making sure you don't share the same outcome.

I'm sorry for my attitude, but it feels like not so long ago, a bunch of players joined Luria, saying the exact same thing. And instead they just focused on expansion, and then never lifted a finger against anyone else. I don't play in those whereabouts anymore, but I find it frustrating. That area has serious geographical restraints, but is not without any potential. Luria did get in a few wars, back in the days. It has an overpowered economy potential which allows it to project a strong army really far away. But that's been ages ago.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron