Author Topic: Lurian Resurgence  (Read 27933 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Resurgence
« Reply #30: January 24, 2018, 04:37:51 AM »
It seems obvious, but it's so often overlooked by players who place all their focus on winning. But in something like BM, you can't really beat the game. Even if you owned all the land in a continent, there's always going to be someone ready to stir up trouble.
Indeed. One cannot win BM. BM is what one makes of it.

I often get the impression that people think warfare is all there is to it in BM - either being involved in it, recovering from it or preparing for it. I haven't been around long to say for sure, but I don't think that's the case and more than that I hope it isn't.
Battles and warfare are definitely the core of BattleMaster, but it's meant to be something roleplay stories are built around, not to be min-maxed. In years gone by, perpetual warfare was (mostly) the norm. That didn't mean there wasn't time for roleplay, but that the marching and battles provided opportunity for roleplays. Especially those crazy quirks that happen in BM that just beg for humorous roleplays.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 24, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
I love RPs, but I can do much more RPwise in a realm like Sirion than in Luria... Sirion at least is always involved in wars, even being always safe and even being until a short time ago a Behemoth... or a white elephant in the corner.

What will you RP in Luria? Your character walking through the beautiful streets of all your seaside towns? At least incite a civil war between your duchies (in Luria they are still considered small kingdoms within the empire?). Or try Madina... I'm in Bol just holding courts and killing monster. In fact, a good RP isn't always in a Roleplay Message, but in the trash talk before and after a battle, the rivalry and hatred that only a war can bring.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Archival

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 24, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
I love RPs, but I can do much more RPwise in a realm like Sirion than in Luria... Sirion at least is always involved in wars, even being always safe and even being until a short time ago a Behemoth... or a white elephant in the corner.

What will you RP in Luria? Your character walking through the beautiful streets of all your seaside towns? At least incite a civil war between your duchies (in Luria they are still considered small kingdoms within the empire?). Or try Madina... I'm in Bol just holding courts and killing monster. In fact, a good RP isn't always in a Roleplay Message, but in the trash talk before and after a battle, the rivalry and hatred that only a war can bring.

This is... sort of what I mean about people dictating how we should play. Like I've said before, there isn't a right or wrong way to play the game. It's a bit of an exaggerated example, but who's to say that someone writing stories about their travels through their own lands, while maintaining them with the gameplay mechanics, is doing it wrong? If someone got their enjoyment out of that, I see precisely zero issue. I suppose it's not really a relevant point to Luria though, since things have been active the entire time I've been in the game so far and from what I understand, that's not about to slow down.

Good RP can be anything though. From sending provocative letters to your foes before a battle (and after, if you feel like twisting the knife) like you say, all the way to - yes - descriptive stories about travelling through the streets of Askileon or Giask.

I don't mean to keep banging on this drum, but I find it pretty uninspiring when people have this inflammatory stance that we're doing it all wrong. I do get jaded cynicism from veteran players though - I'm no doubt similar in the places I've committed however many years to.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 24, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
All I'm saying is that if you guys wanted to bring life to a realm, you woulda been better off picking one closer to other realms. It gives way more opportunity for RP, war, etc. and won't have the constant fight against monsters 24/7.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 25, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
No one is really saying you are having bad-wrong fun. Just speaking from hard earned experience. After playing for 10 straight years, I've seen a lot, and so have several others. From what we've seen, realms living in isolation, without PvP contact with other realms, tend to wither and die. There have been extremely few, if any, realms that have even survived, let alone thrived, on just RP. Those realms tend to just taper off and fade away. (Been there, done that. Auto-paused because of it...)

So, yes, you can live by yourself in Luria. I sincerely hope your realm thrives. But if (when) it doesn't, please remember some of this hard-won advice.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 25, 2018, 03:52:34 AM »
There's nothing wrong with RPing whatever the hell you want, wherever the hell you want, and nobody is stating otherwise. What some of us jaded folk who have seen a lot say, however, is that the potential is limited.

I've seen many super active cores settle up in isolated corners, because isolation sounds really cool, but the problem is... if you are always with the same people, doing the same thing, with nothing to fight over... it gets repetitive, fast. You end up just not having much to say to each other anymore. Wanna RP strolling down the bazaar? Great, do it! Think you'll have fun writing your visits to the bazaar every single day, though? Think many people will bother to read your 17th "visit to the bazaar" RP?

Diversity is the spice of life. Which is where neighbors come in. When other realms are nearby, and if you interact with them (such as with war), then you are regularly getting in contact with people that you otherwise don't see every day. People whose experiences are vastly different to yours. And rather importantly, those are interactions that aren't fully predictable. If you want to RP going to the bazaar, you'll decide 100% of how it happens, and it's easy to run out of ideas after a few tries. If you fight in a battle, though? These are dozens and dozens of game-generated lines of text, full of gems to RP upon. Who hit who, who retreated when, who got wounded, who didn't follow formations, who retreated early, etc.

Not all realms need wars, though, even if wars can be gold mines for activity. Heck, some wars can monopolize resources so bad, that they leave little room for anything else. I've known a number of realms, for at least some periods of time, that were really fun, without necessarily fighting any battles. But those that were fun for more than a brief moment always had meaningful interactions with other realms, and often the threat of war looming by.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 25, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
As people said, you can RP anything you want... I have 0 problems roleplaying this:

The table before him was always abundantly served with grapes and blackberries, game meat, his favorite pheasants stuffed with bacon and from the coast, fresh prawns, crayfish and crabs; a beautiful surf and turf before it became something centuries later on reality shows. An incense burned slowly in a typically sultanesque night while Rusul played slow, melodic notes in his Qanun and a Sword Dancer rhythmically shook her hips; her tanned skin covered with colorful silk veils and an albino python snaking along her body. Like every Serpentis who had achieved fame and wealth, in Sirion they liked to boast all that luxury brought from conquered realms and cultures that would not even exist if they were not imported by Avamar. While waiting for the maidens, he smoked the finest Rollbarian weed in a long red oak pipe, the smoke spiraling like vipers dancing around the silver circlet in his head. In victory or defeat, there was no reason to ignore the little delights of Fontan. Who knows, maybe even Lady Brigdha would hear about a young Serpentis and join them.

0 problems having entire RPs dedicated to NPCs, servants, peasants of a region, etc, etc, etc (I have a wiki with more than 200 RPs saved)... I love to write and I love to read and I'm always trying the most difficult: do people roleplay with me. It's funny and it's fine, but I know that I will have to face 40k of five different allied realms in Viseu week after week. Maybe you can convince 10 people to stay in Luria roleplaying and fighting monsters, but you will hardly find new players willing to do this, or old players willing to come back just to do this while they can RP AND interact/wage war/make alliances/etc with another realms/players. Over time those 10 will turn to 8 .. 5 ... so, pfff, it's gone.

Tried to play two or three times in Luria... nevermore.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 25, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
There's a massive problem with the current leadership in Luria as well. They're all about "restoring the lurian empire" and allow for very little diversity and excitement.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 26, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
There's a massive problem with the current leadership in Luria as well. They're all about "restoring the lurian empire" and allow for very little diversity and excitement.

That's not been my experience which is why I choose to play in Luria.

And do note that we have restored the Lurian Empire. Not only have we reclaimed the lost cities, we've also rebuilt a functional economic base. The question now is what to do with it and what additional infrastructure we need to support player interaction and commerce if we return to the old federation of Kingdoms rather than remain the current centralised realm.

Civil war would be an easy way to keep things busy, as would war with Fissoa or Medina. However personally I'd prefer us to try something more ambitious like war with a northern realm or perhaps some coop play like aiding Westgard or Medina in securing more of the western continent. Ever since Ciarghuala was driven from Golden Farrow she's been keen for some payback.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 26, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
Well first you should destroy fissoa and Madina, force them to move. Then D'Hara and force them to move.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 27, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
And do note that we have restored the Lurian Empire.
So is this a continuation of the Third Lurian Empire or the constitution of the Fourth? you mentioned 'old federation of kingdoms', are the lurian dukes no longer considered kings who vote for their emperor with foreign rulers unvoting but more independent?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 28, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
So is this a continuation of the Third Lurian Empire or the constitution of the Fourth? you mentioned 'old federation of kingdoms', are the lurian dukes no longer considered kings who vote for their emperor with foreign rulers unvoting but more independent?

My cynical bet would be that "the empire is restored" is purely due to taking the cities around the sea, and has nothing to do with internal politics.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 29, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »

The Kings still elect the Emperor and we've 5 active nobles who've been in the realm for 1000+ days. Ciarghuala would be as well if it hadn't been for the whole Luria Boreal thing but she's never been that interested in politics.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 29, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
Luria's more active and dynamic than its been since the Monster invasion currently.

A lot of Nobles, stories and events developing and springing up dynamically and a steady influx of even more Nobles.

Those that claim outside views with intimate knowledge of the inner workings of Luria, grain of salt.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 26, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
And, taking the Imperial Crown doesn't hurt. New Chapter has officially begun!