Author Topic: Feedback and Discussion  (Read 28932 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Feedback and Discussion
« Reply #15: January 16, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »
I actually don't mind the confusing timeline 'for now' but imagine doing this with 20 people. It will just get out of control.

Agree completely. One purpose of this alpha test is to figure those "breaking points" out.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 16, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »
Agree completely. One purpose of this alpha test is to figure those "breaking points" out.

I think you need more people for that. I don't think we currently have enough people to test the breaking point.

We probably want different sections for each continent and per continent maybe different timelines.

For example:

Overall: Creation
Branch 1: Continent A
Sub-Branch 1: Early Age
Sub-Branch 2: Middle Age
Sub-Branch 3: Late Age
Branch 2: Continent B
Sub-Branch 1: Early Age
Sub-Branch 2: Middle Age
Sub-Branch 3: Late Age

something like that maybe?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: January 16, 2018, 04:31:41 PM »
There is a lot that is left to decide and determine, so we will see about that.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: January 17, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
Some more food for your thoughts:

I'm going to write the initial client as a webclient, because I have all the technology and experience required for it. And with recent advances, it can do all that is needed. Most importantly, it can correctly display an entire globe, check here: http://openlayers.org/ol-cesium/examples/rotate.html (might have to zoom out to see it...)

Maybe in the future, if the game is successful, there will be a 3D standalone client, which would give me so many more opportunities for bringing the world alive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:34:04 PM by Tom »

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 20, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
Would be nice to have a list of councils/pantheons later. For now there is only one so we don't need it.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 25, 2018, 04:45:42 AM »
I hope we will get a feature that can track down characters and their locations. Otherwise, people will have to read through everything.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: January 25, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
I hope we will get a feature that can track down characters and their locations. Otherwise, people will have to read through everything.

Yes, this is one of the things that a proper client will add to the game.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 26, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »
Some more food for your thoughts:

I'm going to write the initial client as a webclient, because I have all the technology and experience required for it. And with recent advances, it can do all that is needed. Most importantly, it can correctly display an entire globe, check here: http://openlayers.org/ol-cesium/examples/rotate.html (might have to zoom out to see it...)

Maybe in the future, if the game is successful, there will be a 3D standalone client, which would give me so many more opportunities for bringing the world alive.

If it's in PHP and you want some help or sanity checks, let me know. I get tired of staring at M&F code sometimes (which is why I've been quiet here of late--I've been focused on M&F's next update), and sometimes just getting a second set of eyes on something is handy.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 27, 2018, 02:47:14 AM »
For the beta, maybe you should limit the number of active stories. Otherwise some stories may never progress. Maybe limit the # of active stories to 5(maybe too few?) to 7?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: January 27, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
I'm thinking about this. My current idea is that it costs prime to start a new story, but expanding upon an existing story, especially if it has been waiting for some time, gives a small reward.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: January 28, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback so far.

From the slowing down gameplay and the problems that have surfaced, it seems to me that a proper test requires at least basic mechanics in play. At minimum, keeping track of stories and the prime economy should be working before anything can really be accomplished. It also needs to be more clear how to discover prime sources and which goals to pursue. All of these are guiding elements in what is essentially an ultimate sandbox.

I will see if I can somehow come up with a basic client without too much time invested.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 28, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
For those that live on Discord, I've got a webhook setup to stalk this forum (and it's children, though if we add more it'll need updating).
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 29, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
I've actually just had a busy week, and not sure what the result of claiming the prime source was.  Once I know that, I have several story ideas.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 29, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
I think Tom should maybe think about dealing with purity and prime for beta. For Alpha, maybe he should just let us do whatever we want so we can progress with stories :D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #29: January 29, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
Yeah, don't worry about the numbers in the alpha.