Author Topic: Redhaven  (Read 41913 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Redhaven
« Reply #30: January 23, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »

The Path of Ashes
Roleplay from Selenia JeVondair (9 hours, 33 minutes ago) message to all nobles of Greater Xavax As the Phoenix Court convened, Selenia was uncharacteristically silent. Even Gia's good-naturedness eventually wore off as more and more noblemen entered the pavilion. She and her wolf Lupa eventually padded off to join the crowd as ranking members of Imperial High Command claimed their seats adjacent to the Xerarch.

Selenia watched and acknowledged a few of those who entered. Dame Serina was one, the wolf prince Hector was another. Before long, the Court was fully convened. Idle chitchat died down as the Xerarch stood. Selenia was not a tall woman, but with so much attention on her, she seemed larger than life. Her gaze tracked back and forth, strafing through the eyes and faces of men and women she'd bled beside for years. There was as much said, in those met glances, as an entire evening of talk might have been. After a long time, the Xerarch spoke.

"Over the years," she began, "I have tried my best to show the world that we were the best." Affirmative sounds rumbled through the court and her voice charged with emotion as she went on. "We have fought, bled, and suffered, aye,. But at one point or other, we've defeated most every major army on this continent, even three or four at once! I was there when we sacked Semall. I was there when we brought Ibladesh to its knees. I was there when time after time we snatched glorious victory from the jaws of imminent defeat."

By now, the crowd of nobles had been charged with her energy. Yes! Xavax was, and had always been, strong. Yes, no other people could do as they had done. And Yes, standing before them was the warqueen that had lead them through thick and thin.

"And yet-" Selenia's voice subtely sank, betraying her inner thoughts, - "And yet I was there to watch Uthred the Undying be cut down. I was there to watch Jarvin cut down, and Jayden, and Gilth. I've seen love blossom only to be snatched away by the deathly pale hands of war. I've seen countless refugees, orphans, victims of bandits and invaders and starvation in equal measure. I have seen Hell itself-" and everyone in that pavillion knew she was referring to the event of her own death. She paused, not for a breath, but to again gaze around the gathered faces.

"-but I have not seen an end. Not one in which your sons and daughters grow up happy beneath the Redwing. Not one in which our many enemies are cast down. Not one in which all learn to walk the Path of Paragons...at least...not so long as we remain here in the South. By now you will have noticed that I had Talon Lionel range the army farther north than has ever been in our history. It is because you are not going back to Xavax."

Immediately there was uproar. Oaths were sworn and voices raised in protest, but the Xerarch carried on. "This was MY decision. Not my idea, no, but my final decision none the less. All my life, I have only ever wanted to create something that would outlive me. I tried once before with the Ivory Vales. I thought to try again with Xavax. For the longest time, wrapped up in all of our power, I thought I had succeeded. But I was mistaken. The Imperium will not be my legacy to this world...you are. Each and everyone of you that has seen what I've seen, felt what I've felt. Spilled blood and been bloodied. Loved, hated, strived, tasted the sweet success of victory and the bitterness of defeat. You've been with me, many of you since the beginning, many more of you I knighted myself. All of you have proven yourselves Xavax time and again. And through you, no matter where you are, for as long as you are together, you are my greatest achievement and lasting gift to this dying world. You are Xavax. Not me, you."

The silence that followed was near-absolute, broken only by the crackling of the central bonfire and the occasional whine from one of the inexplicably large number of wolves in attendance. Selenia, their Empress, surveyed them all and then nodded to herself as though pleased. Taking pride in her people, even at this juncture. "As you may surmise, I have elected to stay behind-" Her words were immediately greeted with graons of denial and malcontent. She stilled these with a hand. "Yes, I have lead Xavax virtually since our founding, and so I will remain to share in the city's fate, when the bandits again come for me, they will find me on the battlements with a sword in my hand and a storm in my veins."

"But don't let that lull you into the mistaken belief that I've embraced defeat. The fight is not over, it is merely...changing. I charge the Phoenix Court with a Sovereign Quest: You will journey to Sirion there to take up residence. You will teach their people our way of life, preserving our culture and faith and traditions. You will teach elves and man alike the ways of a true war, a southern war, preparing them for the sequel we'll all be waiting for. You, my people, will turn Sirion into a war machine that will shake this continent to its foundations. And one day, when you are covered in the glory of victory, you will ride south again and raise this phoenix from its own ashes."

"This is my Will."

And with that, Selenia tossed the rest of her drink, goblet and all, into the fire. The flames shot up in brief, brilliant thanks as the Xerarch left the gathering of nobles. A moment passed after her departure before pandemonium shattered the quiet in her wake.

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"