Author Topic: Redhaven  (Read 41852 times)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Re: Redhaven
« Reply #45: January 24, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
Then I led a rebellion in Melhed and restored the monarchy because, just as when I wrote and compiled a Constitution for Sirion, no one really cares with a lot of beautiful laws that are never followed.

I'm a bad strategist, but I've already begun to move to cheer things up north. As soon as I firm my position on Sirion, Brock is my next target for long beachside conversations under the setting sun. If you can not count on inactive and slow nobles, you have to learn to deal with them for your benefit or simply focus on who works and get the most out of it... it's always been like this, things are just quiet now because Garas dragged Sirion to a long and futile battle for Oligarch. And well, Ecthelion went through long months of inactivity until pause. Sirion lost much of its identity and vigor, but nothing that can not be recovered. Besides, as always, Sirion remains safe while Xavax fight like rabid dogs.

Look at Ehrendill Eyolf Serpentis, the young dragon who will integrate the northern colonies and lead them to glorious rebirth... if I find a decent General.  8)

For a system of laws to maintain vigor, is must provide an agreeable advantage to its constituents. Melhed's laws being comprehensive doesn't equate to providing nobles with reasons to care about said laws. If anything, things get lost in translation (and laziness) the more comprehensive you get.

Just look at your typical technical manual, or even better, the Terms of Service on all those applications and websites we adore ;) I'm one of the few lunatics who actually read the damn things, and even I get frustrated by it. Not from the process of reading, but from learning just how broken, disjointed, unfair, and ridiculous it all is. Ignorance is bliss, because if people actually read ToS's, they'd never download another app or join a website again :| The things we agree to upon checking a box is... terrifying.

Xavax law worked because we all agreed to start with a foundation of utilitarian, meritocratic, and pragmatic practices that regularly, critically, and effectively impacted the well-being of our nobles. Only after the most vital bits were successfully outlined, tried, and proven, did we go further and complicate things for the sake of completeness.

Sure, the Codex is quite comprehensive, but its foundation is straightforward in approach - catering to what actually mattered at the time; as opposed to arbitrary laws we'll never get to use.

We wrote laws as issues came up. When the first duel challenge took place, debate ensued and laws were made. When we had our first Xavax citizen jailed/accused of criminal activity, laws were debated and made. So on and so forth.

Xavax law was, and likely remains, the most practical reflection of Xavax methodology and the logic that governed our behavior.

You can learn a lot from the laws of a nation. So many of its strengths and weaknesses are on display within those rules and regulations, speaking volumes about topics that would otherwise bask in silence.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)