Author Topic: Redhaven  (Read 41000 times)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Re: Redhaven
« Reply #45: January 24, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »

The Day of Black Sun
The Eyrie was the tallest building in all of Xavax and had served as the royal residence since being built by Xerarch Magnus as a palace in the earliest days of the Imperium...

(Fun thing about playing with a JeV is we tend to save/document the juicy bits. This one was on Selenia's page.)

<3 One of my favorite bits of yours, and a damn powerful one at that.

One day I'll find a way to restore my old harddrive and pull up all our missives from the origins of Xavax. It saddens me that so much of the earliest days isn't mentioned in the wiki, or your own page. You were utterly on FIRE in those days, and if only people could read some of your bits from our discussions. You were unstoppable.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 24, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
Anyway, sorry for all the text. i know here isn't really the place. but TL;DR that's how Selenia sold the Path of Ashes to the Xavax. Whenever CC or BB talk about Selenian Xavax I feel like i'm in a college history course about a dead empire...which feels surprisingly cool.

That said, I don't like the term "Cult of Personality."
[/size]

Can't speak for Chenier, but when I say cult of personality I mean the textbook definition. The fact that people don't all love Selenia doesn't take away from the fact that our culture is one of hero worship and ineffable pride. Its one of our greatest traits, but a dangerous one all the same.

"A cult of personality arises when a regime uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods such as government-organized demonstrations to create an idealized, heroic, and at times worshipful image of a leader, often through unquestioning flattery and praise."

As for my complaints, I mainly refer to the Sirionite Xavax experience: namely the Saoi's supposed dominance of all things Xavax; the silencing of discontent and deviation from the established narrative through the use of insults, gaslighting, and excommunication; Lionel's intervention over Xavax affairs whether by influencing Selenia or betraying Asher to foreign law; and especially the somewhat hilarious way Hector is caught between Sirion-Xavax, Red-Gold, and Saoi-Sigrid-Asher-Lionel-Aramon-etc's pull.

We're so busy keeping the past alive that we're powerless to change at all for fear of losing our drive. A natural reaction to our traumatic severance from Xavax and gradual loss of manpower, but we could really use some rejuvenation to keep the flame alive.

The Phoenix flame can but wither - without breath renewed and ample tinder.
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 24, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
Then I led a rebellion in Melhed and restored the monarchy because, just as when I wrote and compiled a Constitution for Sirion, no one really cares with a lot of beautiful laws that are never followed.

I'm a bad strategist, but I've already begun to move to cheer things up north. As soon as I firm my position on Sirion, Brock is my next target for long beachside conversations under the setting sun. If you can not count on inactive and slow nobles, you have to learn to deal with them for your benefit or simply focus on who works and get the most out of it... it's always been like this, things are just quiet now because Garas dragged Sirion to a long and futile battle for Oligarch. And well, Ecthelion went through long months of inactivity until pause. Sirion lost much of its identity and vigor, but nothing that can not be recovered. Besides, as always, Sirion remains safe while Xavax fight like rabid dogs.

Look at Ehrendill Eyolf Serpentis, the young dragon who will integrate the northern colonies and lead them to glorious rebirth... if I find a decent General.  8)

For a system of laws to maintain vigor, is must provide an agreeable advantage to its constituents. Melhed's laws being comprehensive doesn't equate to providing nobles with reasons to care about said laws. If anything, things get lost in translation (and laziness) the more comprehensive you get.

Just look at your typical technical manual, or even better, the Terms of Service on all those applications and websites we adore ;) I'm one of the few lunatics who actually read the damn things, and even I get frustrated by it. Not from the process of reading, but from learning just how broken, disjointed, unfair, and ridiculous it all is. Ignorance is bliss, because if people actually read ToS's, they'd never download another app or join a website again :| The things we agree to upon checking a box is... terrifying.

Xavax law worked because we all agreed to start with a foundation of utilitarian, meritocratic, and pragmatic practices that regularly, critically, and effectively impacted the well-being of our nobles. Only after the most vital bits were successfully outlined, tried, and proven, did we go further and complicate things for the sake of completeness.

Sure, the Codex is quite comprehensive, but its foundation is straightforward in approach - catering to what actually mattered at the time; as opposed to arbitrary laws we'll never get to use.

We wrote laws as issues came up. When the first duel challenge took place, debate ensued and laws were made. When we had our first Xavax citizen jailed/accused of criminal activity, laws were debated and made. So on and so forth.

Xavax law was, and likely remains, the most practical reflection of Xavax methodology and the logic that governed our behavior.

You can learn a lot from the laws of a nation. So many of its strengths and weaknesses are on display within those rules and regulations, speaking volumes about topics that would otherwise bask in silence.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 24, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
Militarily, probably not anytime soon, if ever. Diplomatically, maybe.

Sure, it'll be a massive headache to bring the area back to snuff after being depopulated from genocide and hordes, but its more of a roleplay goal than a strategic one. Homeland, and all that.

Bingo. Long term goals yo! I fully expect (assuming Redhaven survives long enough for it to become reality ;p) for the old Greater Xavax to become a sort of "Holy Land" for new Red Haven "Crusaders" to fight for. My character might not be there with them (being a Hero and all), but I've laid the ground work toward leading them to the "promised land" (although Alara did help out by declaring Hatred against us, it'll be easy to sell them as "The Enemy").

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 25, 2018, 01:46:07 AM »
Bingo. Long term goals yo! I fully expect (assuming Redhaven survives long enough for it to become reality ;p) for the old Greater Xavax to become a sort of "Holy Land" for new Red Haven "Crusaders" to fight for. My character might not be there with them (being a Hero and all), but I've laid the ground work toward leading them to the "promised land" (although Alara did help out by declaring Hatred against us, it'll be easy to sell them as "The Enemy").

...And in this endeavor, the rebirth of our hallowed homeland, the Goldwings will stand beside you as brothers - for despite our ideological differences, we both desire the very same end result: Home.

...And damn ANY who would dare stand in our way. If the Goldwing realm is founded and Alara pulls a similar stunt due to their hatred of Xavax, against the wishes of the southern coalition, they will incur the wrath of the united south, AND give us a beautiful casus belli to fight then 1 Vs. 1 - except, they'll also be fighting the north, and possibly even the south. Byebye Alara.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 25, 2018, 01:47:09 AM »
Renodin *points at Aramon's post about crusaders* Look familiar? :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 25, 2018, 04:04:35 AM »
Then I led a rebellion in Melhed and restored the monarchy because, just as when I wrote and compiled a Constitution for Sirion, no one really cares with a lot of beautiful laws that are never followed.

As with most golden nuggets in BM's history, pearls of uniqueness get buried under the sands of apathy.

There was a time where those laws actually mattered. Where Melhed was viewed as a beacon for enlightenment, awe-inspiring book-keepers, where one could go to obtain secret or otherwise long-lost knowledge. Aldo was the pillar of this culture, though, and when he left BM, well... apathy swept it all under the rug.

Same thing happened with the Republic in D'Hara, Machiavel had to constantly fight to keep the unique culture of maroccidentalism and D'Haran republicanism alive. It quickly eroded into a bread and butter monarchy when he left.

SA, Luria, and oh so many other realms and institutions were once something to behold, only to eventually decay into blandness.

But some of those glory days lasted a very long time. And Melhed's lasted very, very long. Just because nobody followed the laws anymore, doesn't mean they were never important, or that they didn't matter very long.

Militarily, probably not anytime soon, if ever. Diplomatically, maybe.

Sure, it'll be a massive headache to bring the area back to snuff after being depopulated from genocide and hordes, but its more of a roleplay goal than a strategic one. Homeland, and all that.

Sure. Diplomatically, who knows. It's fine to have long-term ambitions. And there are a few means, albeit implausible, that could make it happen. But a military conquest from Redhaven to Xavax is not even remotely feasible.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 25, 2018, 04:10:22 AM »
Honestly, Redhaven probably agrees.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #53: January 25, 2018, 08:39:56 PM »

So proud. I shouldn't be surprised that Araman became the Next Xerarch, but I am, and pleasantly so. build your legend, friend!

As for the Redwing vs Goldwing thing...I think the whole situation is really cool
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: January 26, 2018, 02:25:06 AM »

So proud. I shouldn't be surprised that Araman became the Next Xerarch, but I am, and pleasantly so. build your legend, friend!

Aye - looking forward to what Aramon brings to the table. I may levy [constructive] criticism, but I admire Aramon all the same. One of the players that made my time in Xavax a memorable experience. Thank you for your contributions to this beautiful culture.

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 26, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »
Quote from: JeVondair
As for the Redwing vs Goldwing thing...I think the whole situation is really cool

<3 Together we'll build an entertaining and dynamic environment for all sorts of players! :)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: January 27, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
Aldo was the pillar of this culture, though, and when he left BM, well... apathy swept it all under the rug.
Also was definitely the pillar, but it did continue for the next few rulers before apathy finally swept it away.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 28, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Also was definitely the pillar, but it did continue for the next few rulers before apathy finally swept it away.

As it often is.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 30, 2018, 06:29:22 AM »
In other news, the Saoi of the Path of Paragons - official faith of the Xavax of Redhaven - has fallen to slumber/illness/bills/life.

Either someone quits the battlefield and dons the cloth, or the faith collapses. May as well throw Sigrid's name into the pot and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, Hector refuses and the Path dies like an ember in the path storms.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 30, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »
In other news, the Saoi of the Path of Paragons - official faith of the Xavax of Redhaven - has fallen to slumber/illness/bills/life.

Either someone quits the battlefield and dons the cloth, or the faith collapses. May as well throw Sigrid's name into the pot and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, Hector refuses and the Path dies like an ember in the path storms.
This is why I highly encourage a few (2-4) religions per island (the opposite of my encouraging many realms). But folks all want to do their own thing instead of cooperating with others. Religions are meant to span across many realms, not to have a religion per realm.