Poll

Is the IC courthouse a good idea or not?

Good idea - keep it
4 (21.1%)
Good idea, but too much danger of confusion - dump it
7 (36.8%)
Bad idea - dump it
8 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: July 24, 2011, 10:07:56 AM

Author Topic: IC Courthouse - yes or no?  (Read 3508 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
IC Courthouse - yes or no?
« Topic Start: July 17, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
See the discussion in the other thread. Let's get a few opinions...

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: IC Courthouse - yes or no?
« Reply #1: July 17, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
I'm not sure if this would work, then again, I'm not sure I understand the concept entirely. It would be roleplayed, but not by any of the Magistrate's actual characters?

Fury

« Reply #2: July 17, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
For this to work the Magistrates role will need to be defined IC but not necessarily IG. Then OOC concepts will need to be translated IC. Turns are easy - sunset, sunrise period. The IR, Social Contract, etc. will need a little work but it should be do-able.

Then a lot will also depend on how the plaintiffs present their case and how the defendants (are they given a hearing?) defend themselves. Will the scope of the trial also be limited to the issues presented or if during the trial other relevant issues crop up should they be pointed out by the Magistrates? And will the defendants represent themselves or can they be represented by other more eloquent or persuasive parties?

All in all, this seems very flavourful and I definitely support it or at least give it a mock trial run.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: July 17, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
I have absolutely no fixed ideas regarding the details. Whether it's placed in-game at all, or is a dream sequence for the character, or is just totally OOC except that it uses roleplaying speech - I don't have the answers. I just thought it would be a cute idea.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 17, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
There is no need for a special place for this specific kind of roleplaying, there is already a sub forum for roleplaying, we do not need this page at all to roleplay this specifically.
It indeed only causes confusion.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: July 17, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
ok, the results are already pretty clear...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 17, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
While it is an interesting idea, I can't imagine how it would work. The problems that I see mainly are that there is no way at all to produce IC evidence, like eyewitnesses, physical evidence, etc. All that stuff would be made up by the players, who are free to make up anything they want. So an IC trial would just depend on who is more adept at making stuff up, or who has more IC friends to act as character witnesses, or help in the "making stuff up" part.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.