Author Topic: IC court and Investigation powers  (Read 6052 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
IC court and Investigation powers
« Topic Start: July 16, 2011, 06:34:09 AM »
I must admit I'm already confused by the "in-character" court. Who is supposed to be represented, for what complaints? Speaking IC about OOC rules will not give any clear discussion, imo.

I also wanted to ask about the ability for investigation. The magistrates will not have any ability to look into player's messages or check for clues of multi-abuse, will they? If not, who will?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: IC court and Investigation powers
« Reply #1: July 16, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »
The magistrates will not have any ability to look into player's messages or check for clues of multi-abuse, will they? If not, who will?

According to the idea thread, Magistrates will not handle issues such as multi-cheating. I assume those tools will remain with the devs/current Titans/Tom/something.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 16, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »
According to the idea thread, Magistrates will not handle issues such as multi-cheating. I assume those tools will remain with the devs/current Titans/Tom/something.

The idea thread mentions the titans being *replaced*. As such, will the link to contact them for such abuses be replaced with one to contact the devs instead? Tom's not always around to deal with such issues, relying on a single person is a bad idea anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 16, 2011, 07:10:45 AM »
There will be a separate system to handle mutli-cheating, likely handled directly by the dev team (as we are the people who have the tools to investigate such things).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: July 16, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »
You are asking details I have not yet decided. :)

For the IC courthouse, I don't really know. I just thought it a nifty idea to roleplay the trials - for those who want to. It'll probably be abandoned, but let's give it a chance.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #5: July 17, 2011, 06:35:12 AM »
An in-character court is inappropriate because it infringes on the sovereignty of every single realm in the game. Realms just as well might not even have judges or bother resolving internal disputes if these magistrates will be expected to arbitrate not only disputes between players but disputes between characters as well. Furthermore:

Quote from: Tom
These people are volunteers doing a job that is guaranteed to make them enemies. Anyone who makes their life difficult outside the Courthouse and its sub-boards will feel my unrestrained wrath. That includes shunning them in-game, badmouthing them on IRC, bullying them in any way, or absolutely anything else negative.

The highlighted parts are somewhat disturbing to me.

Fury

« Reply #6: July 17, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
Speaking IC about OOC rules will not give any clear discussion, imo.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of discussing OOC rules IC.

An in-character court is inappropriate because it infringes on the sovereignty of every single realm in the game. Realms just as well might not even have judges or bother resolving internal disputes if these magistrates will be expected to arbitrate not only disputes between players but disputes between characters as well.

Medieval United Nations International Court of Justice?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:09:24 AM by Fury »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: July 17, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »
Ok, I see I need to clarify this somewhat:

The IC court is not intendend to actually represent any in-game court. I merely thought it a cute idea to roleplay the cases. But seing how much confusion that causes, I fear that confusion would continue.
So I'll see if I can attach a poll to this topic...