Author Topic: Prison Ransom  (Read 2985 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Prison Ransom
« Topic Start: February 11, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
Is there a reason the ransom when you first get in prison is always higher than the gold you have? If the purpose is to force you to stay in prison for a day, why not just make it a full day before being able to ransom? The ransom being higher just seem silly to me.

I have also never played a Judge, do they set their own ransoms? And I have just had douchebag judges imprison me? lol
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Ransom
« Reply #1: February 11, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
Honestly, I've never entirely understood the rationale behind the ransom calculations. Without looking at the relevant code, I think that there are certain cases where you can end up with a ransom that's payable the first day, but it's rare.

They are, however, entirely set by the game; judges have no say whatsoever in how high they are.

We've talked a few times about changing how they work, allowing for more important prisoners to be kept for longer and held for higher ransoms, but it's never been a high priority.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 11, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Doesn't it allow you to have your family pay twice the ransom? Meaning that first day with a too high ransom for you to pay, would actually allow you to pledge double of that with your family?

Not entirely sure.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 12, 2018, 04:24:34 AM »
Doesn't it allow you to have your family pay twice the ransom? Meaning that first day with a too high ransom for you to pay, would actually allow you to pledge double of that with your family?

I think that starts a day later, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't looked at that code in a long time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 13, 2018, 12:57:28 AM »
Yeah I am pretty sure the double family payment pops up after you have been there for a day or so.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.