Author Topic: Magistrates and the courtroom  (Read 3941 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Magistrates and the courtroom
« Topic Start: July 16, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
I have been playing very actively since early 2008, and I would greatly enjoy the opportunity to give something back to the game. I presently have 4 Trust medals:

http://www.battlemaster.org/UserDetails.php?ID=25563

(...)

By the way, this post is somewhat hard to find. I had to hunt around for it once I guessed that it existed when I saw Chenier's Magistrate avatar, and could not find it at first. I would expect relatively few people to stumble across it without actively looking for it. You may want to post a link to this thread in Announcements and/or in the Titan System Revelation thread.

I must agree with this. This change wasn't announced on the news sticker, and I myself, despite knowing this change was coming, only stumbled upon it by accident by looking at "unread posts since last visit". Only regulars of the forum can know about this right now.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Magistrates and the courtroom
« Reply #1: July 17, 2011, 01:01:32 AM »
This change wasn't announced on the news sticker,

Indeed. In the future, a news sticker item would be an excellent idea.

Though that might create an overwhelming tide of Magistrate applications.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 17, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »
Indeed. In the future, a news sticker item would be an excellent idea.

Though that might create an overwhelming tide of Magistrate applications.

Non-forum users should be made aware of the change. They also should have a chance to present their candidacy, though their absence from the forums would likely be taken into account.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 17, 2011, 05:09:41 AM »
Non-forum users should be made aware of the change. They also should have a chance to present their candidacy, though their absence from the forums would likely be taken into account.

I completely agree; I was not saying that forum-users are a more worthy demographic, I was just referencing the logistics of potentially sorting through a large number of applications.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 17, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
Indeed. In the future, a news sticker ticker item would be an excellent idea.

Not necessarily obvious, I know, but that's the correct form.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 18, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »
Not necessarily obvious, I know, but that's the correct form.

I first wrote that, but then said to myself "Nah, that can't be it". :P

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: July 19, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »
I intentionally did not announce that widely, because at this point it is still an experiment.

Rest assured, if I decide that we switch over to this new system, it will be announced clearly to everyone.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 20, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
i cannot understand that forum activity could be crucial in anything related to game, having feeling that forum anyhow sucks lot of blood from game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 20, 2011, 11:45:37 PM »
i cannot understand that forum activity could be crucial in anything related to game, having feeling that forum anyhow sucks lot of blood from game.

An indicator of having both the time and the will to get further involved in the game, as well as a familiarity as to how the environment in which the magistrates operate.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: July 25, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »

I completely understand your sentiment. I'm not a big fan of forums myself.

In this case, it is a purely practical decision: The forum gives us a ready medium for discussion. Programming the same functionality into the game itself would take a considerable amount of time.