Author Topic: A Publicity Idea  (Read 8805 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
A Publicity Idea
« Topic Start: March 02, 2018, 01:36:33 AM »
Ok, so I emailed Tom about this, then PM'd him, but never got any reply.

So I want to open it up to the forum, and get some insight from the Devs, the Mods, and of course the other players!

I am currently writing a novel based on the experiences of several of my BM characters. My idea was to polish it up and publish it in eBook format for free, with a foreword explaining how everything in the book was based off of real interactions between real people in-game, advertising the game. If there were any small amount of success, I thought it could expand into more novels or novellas or even a collection of short stories compiled from other players who enjoy writing.

This brings me to my first question, the largest hurdle, the thing I really need a response from Tom for. What is the deal with the rights for the things that happen in Battle Master? I assume that all characters and interactions are technically owned by Tom, since he owns the game? Basically I am under the impression that only Tom needs to sign off on this adventure for it to be possible.

Second question, does anyone think this would have any chance of drawing people to the game? I consider myself a capable writer, but I am hardly a professional. I don't even know if anyone would read it.

So that is my idea. I would love any feedback/insight/knowledge about the rights issue.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: A Publicity Idea
« Reply #1: March 02, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
I like the idea.

No clue about the rights, though.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 02, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
I love it. Honestly I think a large group of us at time have thought about doing the same, but never actually went through with it.

I doubt Tom would mind, especially if you give BM a shoutout (Tom isn't really involved with BM anymore anyway, Anaris is).

Also it doesn't matter if it brings people to the game. If anything, there will be people here who would love to read it. As long as you would enjoy writing it, I'd say hell yeah!
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 02, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I should note that the story revolves around my two dead characters, Gilth and Fiona. While waiting to figure out the whole rights issue, if anyone has characters that were involved in the Northern War, the subsequent creation of Vix Tiramora, and the war against Greater Xavax and DON'T want their characters involved in any way, please just post a comment, PM me, or send me an OOC in game, and I will work around it.

Also, if you do have a character that interacted with the two, if you want to send me a "character sheet", info like their appearance, attitude, personality, etc...  that would be greatly helpful! The perspective would always be from one of those two, but I want to stay as true as humanly possible to any characters other people have created.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 03, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
Legally, Tom is the owner of BM. I doubt he'd mind, but you should still get a go-ahead from him.

I've shot him a message on facebook, with a link to this topic.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: March 03, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »
Love the idea. Go ahead. Keep me updated.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
Gildre if you want to use one of my chars and have questions you know how to reach me ;)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 03, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the green light! Will do!

Gabanus,

Absolutely! Correct me if I am wrong, but Garas was the General of Sirion at the time right?

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 03, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
Yes, Garas was general of Sirion starting just after Perdan/Westmoor and allies invaded Sirion untill some months after peace was signed with Perdan. When Oligarch was transfered back feom Eponllyn to Sirion Garas became the new Duke/Margrave and in turn stepped down as General.

He was a very different person however back then than what he ultimately became. So if there's anything do let me know ;)

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #9: March 04, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
I like this idea. It sounds great to me.

Not sure if my character, Druzil, interacted with yours, but you can use him if you want. His info is on my family page on the wiki. If you need any more questions, feel free to ask.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 06, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
I've thought about it a few times. Now seeing that Tom agrees, it's a first step. But I still think about everyone I've played with... and well, although I do not mind to lend my characters for the idea of third parties, I think if everyone thinks the same way.

Imagine write something about, for example, Atanamir or Echtelion... just to discover weeks later that they're pissed off. But, if it's all for free... more people can try and compile something... like... "Life, Death and Intrigues in the Old Continent"... I'm terrible with names...  :-\
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 06, 2018, 01:05:28 PM »
BM has so many great stories I think and you can always change their names if they don't like it and say it's fiction I suppose...

If I'd ever follow Gildre, it would prob be either:

1) Rebellion, rise and fall of Sartania (FEI after my rebellion, so much happened)
2) Garas' lifestory
3) Fontan, intrigues and war in ancient democracies
4) Intrigues at Obian court are also quickly developing itself to a good story

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 06, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
I would go with something old and cheesy like... Serpentis: Masters of the Universe  8)
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 07, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »
Yes, Garas was general of Sirion starting just after Perdan/Westmoor and allies invaded Sirion untill some months after peace was signed with Perdan. When Oligarch was transfered back feom Eponllyn to Sirion Garas became the new Duke/Margrave and in turn stepped down as General.

He was a very different person however back then than what he ultimately became. So if there's anything do let me know ;)
I am fine if anyone want put Brock as Nivemus Ruler since he was Ruler from Garas General time until he founded First Oligarch, even now he still the Ruler.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 07, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
I am fine if anyone want put Brock as Nivemus Ruler since he was Ruler from Garas General time until he founded First Oligarch, even now he still the Ruler.

That's not entirely true. Brock did not become Ruler untill after Duchiess of Southern Sirion (later renamed First Oligarch) was founded. It was only a while after the founding that the wedding between Catherine and Garas was announced which led to Brock's rulership (was General before).