Author Topic: Family Homes  (Read 6010 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Family Homes
« Topic Start: March 12, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »
Many players lost their family homes when the continents fell beneath the waves.

I'm one.  *waves*

Would it be possible to add an option to create a new family home for families that lost them?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Family Homes
« Reply #1: March 12, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
I think one gets picked upon creation of a new character, no?

Or a hero.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
When you create a new noble in a family without a family home, it should automatically set that character's starting region as your family home.

Heroes occasionally get the option to move the family home; when you have none, it should appear much more often (possibly all the time? I don't recall offhand...).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 12, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
Speaking of this, I saw (IRC or Discord) someone had had their family home moved from sunk island to non-sunk island when they created an advy. So we should probably make sure that only new nobles move a family home.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 12, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »
Speaking of this, I saw (IRC or Discord) someone had had their family home moved from sunk island to non-sunk island when they created an advy. So we should probably make sure that only new nobles move a family home.

...I mean, I guess. Doesn't make much sense IC, it's true, but it does get them a family home, which...is generally a good thing.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 13, 2018, 05:55:10 AM »
Do you have any way of knowing exactly how many families lack homes right now?

On another thought...would it work to allow any noble to change or move the family home?

Say it costs 1,000 gold to do it.  Or some other serious amount of gold.  Say it can be done with a significant cooldown.  Months?

Would that be an option people would like?

And would it be an option that could be coded without too much difficulty?

Or would it be easier to just have a "ask the devs for help and have them manually change your family home" kind of thing?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 13, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Do you have any way of knowing exactly how many families lack homes right now?
We do. I didn't check the most authoritative source (live), but based off an older database backup, I'd estimate there's probably ~50 families lacking a family home.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 15, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
...I mean, I guess. Doesn't make much sense IC, it's true, but it does get them a family home, which...is generally a good thing.

But with advies you don't pick where.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 23, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »
So...around 50 accounts with no home.  Would these be active?

Either way, would it be better for the game in your opinion to code in the ability to change homes at choice, or would it be better to keep it random the way it currently or is, or should those of us without homes ask a dev to assign us a new home?

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 05, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »
I vaguely remember that when you're a landed lord you get an option of moving your family home to the province you currently own.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 16, 2018, 03:38:38 AM »
I vaguely remember that as being an option you are very randomly given.

You randomly are shown the option to do it.  I remember one player getting that option once and taking advantage of it.

I have never noticed that option coming on when I have played.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #11: May 16, 2018, 05:05:38 AM »
Atlanteans
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 16, 2018, 05:59:47 AM »
Ashlantean?

Fuor Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 12, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
I don't believe any of my non-Hero characters have ever had the option to move the family home, Lord or not. My Hero, however, pretty regularly had the option of moving the family home to his continent, and still occasionally sees the option when he moves to the capital from his own region (where the family home is currently located).