Author Topic: Email Alerts  (Read 2594 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Email Alerts
« Topic Start: April 11, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »

Title: Email Alerts

Summary:  Battlemaster will begin to send email alerts to players prior to autopausing and account deletion.

Details: I've been contemplating why players leave the game and one common thing I've heard, insofar as new players, is that they never formed the habit of logging in and checking. Or even just a reminder like "You haven't logged in for a few days and your comrades need you!" or something thus. People "don't have time" or just "forget." Once their title/position/account is lost, players see no reason to return. Players should be able to manage these alerts from their account screen. These emails will of course have nifty little links right to the family page, wiki, and forum. If the referral link works, we can throw that in there too so players can quickly fwd the email out to other people.

Benefits: I forget where I read about the psychology behind impulse reminders like this, but in theory, the alerts will help new players form log-in habits and hopefully attract/retain new players.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: IDK if this has been suggested before in this way. I also don't know what kind of resources it would take to achieve this and whether expending said resources would be worthwhile against this goal.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Email Alerts
« Reply #1: April 11, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
The game has always sent email alerts prior to deletion—three emails, at something like 1, 2, and 3 months after last login—and once the next update goes live (today, if things aren't super-busy for me otherwise), accounts over 3 months old won't be getting deleted anyway.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: April 11, 2018, 02:16:57 PM »
Ah good! Are there also emails for paused characters? Do paused characters get deleted ever or is it just inactive families?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 11, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Ah good! Are there also emails for paused characters? Do paused characters get deleted ever or is it just inactive families?

Only dead characters left unburied for 2 months get deleted. I believe there used to be some condition about being rogue and paused that caused characters to auto-delete, but that no longer happens.

There are no emails for paused characters, or for autopausing due to inactivity. I'm not sure if it's worth putting one in for that...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 14, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
Only dead characters left unburied for 2 months get deleted. I believe there used to be some condition about being rogue and paused that caused characters to auto-delete, but that no longer happens.

There are no emails for paused characters, or for autopausing due to inactivity. I'm not sure if it's worth putting one in for that...

I believe a reminder e-mail before a character auto-pauses would be worth it, actually.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #5: May 14, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
Well, I thought this would refer to a different kind of alert that I believe could really improve player retention: character event alerts. Pick some: participated in battle, received a duel challenge or a unique item offer, liege paused/quit, new referendum to vote in, new knight joined your region, maybe even "got letter from your /council member, liege, council member from other realms/" or "you have 13 unread letters from your realm, one of them is a private letter" (after a few days of not logging in", "realm X has declared war on your realm", stuff like that.

Does it make sense? I liked how Might and Fealty kept sending me reminders about my chars.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 14, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
That sounds like a new feature request suggestion.