Author Topic: Under Debate: Scrying Scroll  (Read 2108 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Under Debate: Scrying Scroll
« Topic Start: April 17, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
Title: Scroll of Scrying

Summary: A new spell that gives the user a scout report of far-of regions.

Details: When used, the player will select a region from a list of all the regions on the continent to generate a magical scout report that can be shared. To specify, I am proposing the addition of this new spell to the existing pool, not increasing the frequency of their appearances.

Benefits: I think it would even be worthwhile to have a Lesser [1] and Greater [3] Scroll of Scrying, that latter would simply have multiple charges of the same spell. IN FACT it might be entirely worthwhile to double the entire spell roster in like fashion with Greater spells being that much more rare or difficult to cast, but I digress. Spying on Enemies from my far-off tower sounds classic and cool and fairly basic compared to the magic that already exists, imo.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: N/A?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:49:25 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Scroll
« Reply #1: April 17, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
Title: Scroll of Scrying

Summary: A new spell that gives the user a scout report of far-of regions.

Details: When used, the player will select a region from a list of all the regions on the continent to generate a magical scout report that can be shared. To specify, I am proposing the addition of this new spell to the existing pool, not increasing the frequency of their appearances.

Benefits: I think it would even be worthwhile to have a Lesser [1] and Greater [3] Scroll of Scrying, that latter would simply have multiple charges of the same spell. IN FACT it might be entirely worthwhile to double the entire spell roster in like fashion with Greater spells being that much more rare or difficult to cast, but I digress. Spying on Enemies from my far-off tower sounds classic and cool and fairly basic compared to the magic that already exists, imo.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: N/A?

Tempted to say no, but willing to consider.

Opposed to two scrolls of differing strength. We can do the same thing based on spellcasting skill, if we decide we want to do that. I'm more inclined to keep it one use per scroll. BM is not supposed to be high magic, but occasional, exceptional magic.

Definitely opposed to splitting existing scrolls into Lesser and Greater effects. Spellcasting always does (or should) affect success and strength of results.

Not an exploit persay, but scouting (even once) a far-away region you dont border is a bit out-there. Thinking about it more, I think the difficulty should increase with distance of desired scouted region.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: April 17, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
I think the difficulty should increase with distance of desired scouted region.

Oh I like this idea
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 18, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »
I like it.

A lot.

Sorry for pointless post, I just wanted to voice my support.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)