Author Topic: The House of Gardarr  (Read 15178 times)

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The House of Gardarr
« Reply #15: July 29, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
Imperial Court

Veronica was still peeking at the retreating Knight Alessio, when she felt a cold finger on her chin lift her head. She was about give the Knight a stern lecture, when she noted that he was in fact a she. The Knight was imposing, her dark black hair flowing down her breastplate.

"Stand with pride," she said, with some motherly undertone, "you are in the presence of the Emperor." Releasing her chin she turned and moved towards the Throne. Veronica didn't know where to look some eyes was on her . She was about to step into the throng again when she noticed that the Emperor had motioned for the Dark haired Knight to wait a few minutes. While she was talking to Veronica, another had entered just ahead of her and approached the Emperor.

The Emperor had greeted him as Leif Wilkins, Imperial Magistrate of Luria Nova. Veronica tilted her head and spoke to herself. "He is a bit short for a Magistrate isn't he?"

Roleplay from Myr Arnickles Renodin

"Askileon holds quite an event, my lord, Imperial Ascension of His Imperial Majesty Nicholas Archival. Shall we depart?" Alma asked Myr, pleadingly hiding his dueling equipment.

Young knight just smiled,"Dear captain, you know I must stay till the morrow. Knowing Nick... I mean, knowing His Imperial Majesty the receptions will continue tomorrow and the day after. You would have to kill me to stop me from attending..."

Myr winked over his smile as Alma frowned

"... then again if I won't be... able. If I won't be able to attend, please send him the best bottle of Tekian ale we have, along with my deepest apology."

Roleplay from Leif Wilkins

As Leif came up from his bow, he saw a smile formed on the Emperor's face.

"I bid you welcome, Imperial Magistrate," he declared. "The hospitality of the Imperial Court is yours."

Leif smiled back and knelt at the knee, holding his right fist to the left side of his chest "That is very kind of you my Emperor, it is a pleasure to finally see you again. I wish to congratulate thee on the well earned station. Long may you reign!"

Xavier and Rueben remained at the foot of the stairs, and too knelt on their right knee and echoed "Long may you reign!".

Leif stood up, and brushed off his knee. "Many have come to see you, I hope the throne is comfortable!" he smiled.

Knight temporarily absent
Sevastian was seriously wounded in a duel against Myr today.

Roleplay from Matthew Coffey

"Holding court are we?" Matthew rubbed his chin, having heard the news from a nearby herald in the inner walls of the city. Having crossed the urbs before his retinue, the stout young man had been looking for more personal items. After all, his armour needed refitting after four years of gathering dust, and a better weapon he could now afford. "I'll return for the armour by tomorrow, I expect it to be finished." The armourer sighed, waving the noble off to continue his work. Matthew knew the gold couldn't be turned aside, nobles always pay well, but the time they expect such work to be fashioned was always a headache.

The guards of Askileon numbered many more than his home, and there were banners to boot of many more martial nobles still. Let alone how many might be here without retinue. It didn't matter much to him, he had no time for soldiery at the moment. Approaching up the marble steps to the Imperial palace, that place where Renodin had sat for much of his adult life in Luria, Matthew recalled when he had last made this ascent. That was when he was a Viscount and Aldrakar had been made Emperor. How time flies by, he grinned to himself.

"I'm here to see our Suzerain," he announced curtly to the guards, not breaking his stride, "I will not be barred." The guards at first seemed hesitant, perhaps even resistant to such claim, but the Imperial defenders knew their heraldry better than run-of-the-mill warriors. As he got close, the heraldry of house Coffey became apparent, and the way was unblocked. Now, let's see how ridiculous Nicholas looks in the Imperial attire.

The hall was packed, as always. Second heirs and wizened bureaucrats plied the court for favours and boons. There were a few notables in their midst, however. Wilkins, de Chevalier, and a few new ones... Mouthing the names as he slowed to a plod, Matthew found himself meandering haplessly into the crowd gathered about the base of the Imperial seat. No doubt his large presence, both literally and metaphorically had drawn a few looks. However he was contented to be an observer for now, he had not seen the new Imperial Magistrate in their function yet, and still wondered what his former peer thought of him and his realm.

Roleplay from Nicholas Archival

Leif stood up, and brushed off his knee. "Many have come to see you, I hope the throne is comfortable!" he smiled.

A smirk found Nicholas' lips at that. "Less comfortable than I had hoped, but more than I had feared," he answered, before inclining his head a second time. "I will be looking forward to that game of chess later this afternoon."

With that, he motioned for Marjorie to step forward and present herself. He appraised her attire for a moment - such fine armour was expected of his new array of guards, but not of the aristocrats who they watched over. Though, as she approached, he spied a waddling figure making his way through the crowds and throngs. Though no words were spoken, he sought to catch Matthew's eye, in order to give him a short, imperceptible nod of recognition.

"Honestly, Alma, can you not tie the straps? How long will it take?"

"If you stopped fidgeting, it would be faster... my Lord." - Alma eyed the young knight carefully.

"Apologies." - Myr calmed down a little - "I can't even recall when was the last time I worn a cape. Must've been when Aldrakar was sitting the throne. Things were simpler back then. And I certainly needed not to announce myself back then, Renodinian lion opened the gates of Imperial Halls just as well as Emperor's direct order."

"Surely His Imperial Highness will be glad to see you. Weren't you friends?" - asked the captain trying yet another knot on the straps of the cape.

"We still are! I should hope so. Frankly I'm certain I will feel much more at ease in Emperor Nicholas' presence than I did in Aldrakar's. He is yet to become legendary and even then it won't wipe the memories of camraderie between the two Lion Knights." - Myr dove deeper into memories -"Good old Aldrakar, have I disappointed him? I stood true to my vows, even in face of threat and infamy, I shown courage, even when I felt none, I fought for honour and good name, I hope I filled the boots of a knight quite well... I can only hope I am now worthy to wear my name with pride. Even though I am no longer in the second decade of my age I still can't help but think if I am truly ready..." - Myr thought out loud.

"Ready!" - said the captain.

"Oh, thank you Alma, that's very..." - but Alma interrupted him, saying:

"I mean the cape. It's ready."

"Oh." - Myr hid the flush of embarrassment by summoning a servant with a mirror.

What he saw was not a boy playing a knight but a man, clad in pristinely polished full plate armour, shining with silvery gleam. The chestplate was hidden behind the long tabard depicting red lion of Arnickles branch of House Renodin. The golden lion of Ordo Leonis adorned his shoulderguards, partly covered by the red cape gently flowing behind his back all the way to the floor. How different was this image from the one from three years ago, when he walked into this very hall, with an armour he bought from a widow after a cavalry officer, an armour that was to heavy to walk through the entire city in it - and yet he did - an armour that was too old and rusty to polish all the imperfections away - and yet he did, he walked right into the Imperial Hall, with the face of someone who's about to have a godhood bestowed upon him, as if he would stand among the heroes of marble and granite from the tales he heard in his youth and walk among them as an equal...

"Hmm..." - he growled.

Three years of strife on the battlefield and - less willingly - in the courts of politics did matured him but did not change him. He was still the knight of the same conviction and the same resolve. And of course - the same youthful glee for his friend's imperial ascension...

Myr approached the gate and three heavy knocks of halberds on the granite floor followed by opening of the gates announced his entry. He walked inside confidentnly, only through peripheral vision he acknowledged all the noble guests: roundish shape of King Matthew was there, the Imperial Magistrate could not be mistaken with anyone else, noble Goriad of Swordfell stood in a secluded spot by the wall, several other nobles he did not recognize flocked around the Emperor. He also noted the absences, most porminently Sir Emyhr and Countess Tyra, one presence would be most reassuring, the other most infurtiating... there is balance for all things in life - he though, or was it chaos? He approached Nicholas Archival and bowed in the most ceremonial fashion he could manage. Straightening back up he bellowed with a strong voice and melodic accent:

"Your Imperial Highness!" - the title was a request for permission to continue, the look of Nicholas' eyes was consent, so Myr did continue - "I greet thee Suzerein Emperor Nicholas Archival! Long may you reign!" - he looked up at Nicholas, immediately noticing the elevation of the throne, the only two people he would ever need to look up at were Sir William and King Karibash. A smirk painted Myr's face, one that added friendliness and familiarity but didn't subtract respect owed to the ruler.

Roleplay from Marjorie de Chevalier

Dame Marjorie strode forth with purpose, with her plated boots signalling her approach. As she reached the steps of the throne, some small smirk had appeared on her face, with a glint in her eyes betraying her thoughts. How quickly one's luck can change, she might have said, had they been alone. Instead, she drew her blade - fine steel, of no extraordinary design - and thrusted its tip into the ostentatious floor of the throne room, and knelt.

"Once, I pledged my allegiance to you, Your Imperial Majesty. Then you did not want it, for you served Aldrakar Renodin loyally as his Magistrate. Now that the tyrant has been ousted, I offer my allegiance again - and hope that you will accept my blade, my house and my service. House de Chevalier stands with the rightful Emperor of Luria, Nicholas of House Archival."

As Nicholas waved Marjorie forward, another came forth with the sure-footed stride of a knight. Myr and Marjorie arrived at the base of the dais concurrently, and in response he quirked a brow at the former's abrupt entry - though there was no displeasure in it. There were a few whispered words amidst the court, in response to Marjorie's words of tyranny, but Nicholas himself appeared to leave any response he might have unsaid.

"Dame Marjorie, Sir Myr," he answered, projecting his voice so that it might carry throughout the lofty confines of the hall, "I bid you both welcome to the Imperial Palace."

With that, he allowed another smile to reach his lips. He beckoned for the Dame to stand once again, before allowing his initial focus to remain upon her.

"I accept your blade and your service, Dame Marjorie de Chevalier. For so long as you remain true to your pledge and to your fealty, you shall ever have a home and succour within my halls. Continue to prove your talent and your skill, and know that you will be rewarded."

Nicholas nodded at that, largely to himself. Aldrakar had favoured lengthy words of fealty, but the new emperor appeared to have decided against it for his own reign, despite the grandeur of the ceremony and the palace themselves. Then, his gaze shifted to Myr, with a wry look in his eye.

"Sir Myr, I thought you would have departed by now - though I am glad for the chance to see you at court at least once. We shall have to ensure you yearn for what you miss after your departure, hm?"

At the words of the Emperor Myr almost chuckled out loud: "Dear Ni... uhm, Your Imperial Highness, I would've already been far north if not for a... certain matter." - he hid the blood-stained gauntlet behind his hip and instantly scolded himself mentally - He already knows you were dueling, you idiot!

"I will stay for the ceremony and embark immediately afterwards." - he added in a bit more solemn mood - "However I am Lurian at heart and Lurian at heart I shall remain, I will one day return, to better serve the Empire... and of course His Most Esteemed Imperial Majesty..." - he feigned grandiloquent tone.

Roleplay from Marjorie de Chevalier

Marjorie rose to stand again, quickly sheathing her weapon before returning her full focus to the man on the throne. "I will do so. Immediately, with His Imperial Majesty's leave. I intend to travel to Ciarin Tut to join our efforts in reclaiming this province."

Marjorie's facial expression was strained, and it was further accentuated whenever Sir Myr, the baboon that had stolen her audience, spoke, but she otherwise maintained a cool and deferential tone when addressing the Emperor of Luria.

Nicholas set upon Myr a knowing look, making it clear - even without words spoken upon the topic - that he was aware of what the knight briefly attempted to hide. But a second later, he turned his attention to Marjorie, to whom he offered a firm nod, though he had also apparently taken note of her consternation.

"Ride well, Dame Marjorie. Know that you go with the blessing of the Imperial Throne. Lady Kaguya is a good friend, and I would have her region restored to her forthwith."

Once the dame had departed, he turned to answer the remainder of Myr's words.

"I know well your patriotism, and I will let none deny it. For as far as you travel, you will remain Lurian in the eyes of your homeland. Though I would sooner see that you remain, I understand your desire to spread your wings. Had fate not aligned for me in this manner, I may have been the one travelling far afield."

At that, he made a brief scan of the hall, to see if any others intended to step up to speak; King Matthew was nearby, as was the shy noblewoman and perhaps even Lord Goriad was present - though if he was, Nicholas would not have recognised him.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:32:43 AM by Jored »
Rand Gardarr/Tam Gardarr/Veronica Gardarr
Highmarch/Bara'Khur/Luria Nova