Author Topic: The House of Gardarr  (Read 15056 times)

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The House of Gardarr
« Reply #15: July 31, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
Roleplay from Matthew Coffey

It was clear he had noticed Nicholas' prying eyes on the crowd he stood among, but Matthew was content to await the two knights before the Emperor. Once they had seemingly finished, then emerged the young King rather unsubtly from the throng of nobles. As usual of these unannounced visits, he lacked the royal attire for a formal ceremony, instead attending in a thick gambeson coloured in his family heraldry.

"I won't be stopping for long, but, I figured I should pay a visit whilst you were present." Matthew cut in from the group, giving the new Suzerain a good look over on his throne. "I would say it suits you, but you don't nearly have the bulk to fill out that enormous seat. You should work on that." He refrained from grinning, instead taking on a more serious tone for his jibe, accompanied by a sweeping and imperious glance at the court.

"Nevertheless, the realm calls and it seems I will not be travelling the road to Ciarin Tut alone anymore. I would join the ceremonious oaths and what have you, but it might be a bit short lived given my record on the field of battle. Perhaps after we've dealt with the beasts?" His gaze shifted toward Marjorie for just a moment, as if to grab her attention. "I expect that the armies of northern Luria to be feasted on our return, out of your magnanimous and deep pockets." He finally let out a grin, bowing with a flourish. "Suzerain Emperor, Nicholas."

Roleplay from Myr Arnickles Renodin

Myr nodded politely to the Emperor and quitely stepped aside, allowing other nobles to present themselves. He looked around the room for someone to keep company when he spied the foreign emissary mingling with some lesser nobility by the far end of the hall. The man oddly enough would go completely unnoticed by Myr if not for a sheer fluke. Myr strode towards him and could not shake the feeling that the man spotted him the second he started walking, perhaps even recognized his intent before he even moved.

Coming near the emissary Myr uttered his greeting - "Sir Goriad. How fine to finally have a chance to meet our foreign guest in a situation that allows for a little chat. Is it Sir Goriad or Lord Goriad? I wouldn't want to make a mistake."

Myr knew Goriad's face since he saw it during Isabella's rebellion, he also knew of him - Fellish noble's name was uttered with respect and admiration usually reserved for heroes from the epic tales Myr was so fond of during his childhood, yet no tales were told of that man.

"From what I've heard you are a well-travelled individual, and I myself am about to embark upon an adventure... forgive the curiosity but I wanted to enquire if you would have any wise counsel?" - Myr offered an innocent grin with his question, young knight would not pass up any occasion to learn from those more experienced than himself.

Roleplay from Marjorie de Chevalier

Dame Marjorie had remained in the throne room after concluding her audience with the Emperor. As she forged through this sea of silks, jewels and perfumes, sickness had overcome her and she felt it necessary to stand as close to the room's exit as possible while she awaited her King. She cast a quick glance to a passing Sir Myr, and he might have noticed a darkness to her eyes that likely give a hint as to how she feels towards this man.

As King Matthew shifted his gaze to Marjorie, she bowed her head in understanding and some smile of relief was brought to her lips. They would leave soon.

Imperial Court

Veronica slowly made her rounds through the throng of Nobles in attendance. Her eyes followed Dame Marjorie as she moved away from the Emperor and situated herself close to the exit. Veronica found her fascinating, well at least now that she was at the other side of the throne room from her.

Her eyes shifted to the Knight that was with her, he had noticed another Noble among the throng and had approached him. Veronica was a bit closer to the front of the Throne room that she would have like to be, but as the Emperor continued holding court her heart flustered less and she was slowly becoming more relaxed.

With the two knights departing a heavy set man stepped out to speak to the Emperor, Veronica halted as she heard him speak to the Emperor in such familiarity.

"I won't be stopping for long, but, I figured I should pay a visit whilst you were present. I would say it suits you, but you don't nearly have the bulk to fill out that enormous seat. You should work on that."

Veronica was taken aback, looking around she didn’t notice anyone else show concern at his words. Who was this man who could speak to an Emperor so casually almost as an equal?

She wanted to have a closer look at him, slowly making her way closer she felt a jolt. A Jolt, someone had stepped on the hem of her dress, with a bit of irritation she pulled at her dress and the person standing on it must have felt because he or she lifted his or her foot and the force of the pull made her stumble. Finally getting her dress under control she noticed that she was about a foot and a half clear from the other Nobles, all eyes were on her.

Veronica closed her eyes and whispered, "Oh my god". Did her heart stop? Was she dead? It seemed so. Taking a deep breath she opened her eyes, turned and noticed she was in the open and there sitting on his throne the Emperor had of course noticed her.

She slowly crossed her hands and with a slight curtsy lowered her head to break eye contact.

Roleplay from Goriad Gabanus

Goriad had closely watched one noble after another coming to the emperor. For the duration of the event he had yet to see a noble of greater years. Even the man who announced himself as King Matthew was but a young boy.

Then suddenly one of the nobles approached him, Sir Myr. These last days he had read some about the young knight and his arguments with Sevastian. "Sir Myr, titles are of little importance to me. You may address me as you deem appropriate."

At the realization that they have been speaking to a foreign emissary some of the merchants looked in shock but did not dare interrupt either of the higher nobles.

"I have been everywhere on these lands yes, but each place is different than the next my young friend. Where exactly are you headed?"

Roleplay from Matthew Coffey

As the young noblewoman stumbled into the corner of his eye, Matthew could only anticipate the tension that followed. With a wry smile he retreated with surprising grace on his feet. If it weren't Nicholas, perhaps he would have done something to draw the eyes of the collective court, but he was a tame soul, so saw nothing of it. "I take my leave then, your Imperial highness. In truth and glory." He was about half way through the crowd when he swiveled about, making his way across the hall toward Marjorie. Beckoning for her to join him as he left the grandiose palace.

"It is good to hear from you again, you look well. Unfortunate you had to join us during all of this." He chuckled, looking over the city walls as they made their way down the Imperial palaces steps. "It seems you're about to see one of Luria's most famous warriors on the front lines, you should be honoured. I have quite the reputation. I'm glad I won't be sharing the journey to our army alone."

Roleplay from Nicholas Archival

The court held their breath at Matthew's jape. In the years of Aldrakar, no doubt it would have been seen as a grave insult, worthy of a harsh response - or so Nicholas presumed. His predecessor had always been prideful, so it was little surprise to see the nervous anticipation in the air. But, to their relief, the emperor simply rolled his eyes, with a grin that matched Matthew's eventual own.

"Matthew Coffey, King of Earth's Hall, you and your wit are both welcome at the Imperial Court," he said, albeit swiftly, as though to get through the necessary formalities for both of their sake. "I shall hope for your good fortune on the battlefield. Retake Ciarin Tut and that feast is yours."

... and then the shy noblewoman fell, straight into the centre of the court. Nicholas watched her with raised brows, surprised - and a little amused - by what had happened. His ever-present steward walked toward him once again, with an aloof displeasure at the break from procedure, before whispering the identity of the woman in his ear. The emperor nodded knowingly, as though it now made sense.

"Welcome to the Imperial Court, Lady Veronica. Come, step forward," he beckoned with a wave of his hand, directing her to approach the dais.

Imperial Court

Her heart was racing; her face felt like it was on fire. She dared not look up. But now what, the Emperor had beckoned her to approach.

Taking a deep breath she put on her best smile, and lifted her head. She caught his eyes. It took all of her willpower to not look away and she took a step and another and soon she was as if gliding moving towards to the throne.

She could feel hundreds of eyes on her every movement.

Coming to a stop in front of the Throne, she bowed low and spread her Emerald Green dress around her, bowing her head her golden locks almost touched the ground.

She dared not look up as she said; "Your Imperial Majesty, as beckoned I have come. On behalf of House Gardarr, I Veronica Gardarr bring you tidings from my family situated in the Realm of Highmarch, East Island." taking a shallow breath she continued.

"I have come to strengthen bonds and give support where needed from me and that of my house to you, the Emperor and in turn Luria Nova."

She still did not dare look up as she waited with abated breath. Why was it so quiet?

"Well, Sir Goriad then..." - Myr smiled - "Just upon the conclusion of this reception I will embark for..."

The commotion at the center of the room drawn Myr's attention. There was a young noblewoman facing the Emperor, her face adorned with healthy blush, her shape like one of a doe caught in the middle of the road by nightly caravan blazing light with torches and lanterns. He chuckled a bit kindheartedly, up until his eyes briefly locked with that of Dame Marjorie, her gaze was unbearably intense - "does she fancy me?" - Myr thought before he turned to Goriad to finish his sentence:

"Astrum, I embark for Astrum."

She's shaking like a leaf, Nicholas noted to himself. It was not an uncommon thing, he surmised. A fresh-faced aristocrat, at the court of an emperor for the first time. He remembered possessing similar nerves when he first attended Aldrakar's court, though he had done a better job of keeping it to himself - though there was a vague memory of Earl Benedict, then just a knight, swaying after an inordinate amount of alcohol.

He awaited her approach patiently; it would be interesting to see how she would take to the spotlight.

"I have heard of this Highmarch," he mused aloud. "My cousin once served there as one of its knights... though now she fights in the name of the Kingdom of Perdan."

Nicholas affixed her with a curious stare. He knew the significance of that particular revelation, but did she?

"Though, Rhiannon's fights are not my own," he eventually shrugged. "Allow me to welcome you formally to the Hegemony of Luria Nova. For so long as you remain House Gardarr's representative in this land, and for so long as you remain a true and honest vassal, you shall always find the warmth of succour and hospitality within these halls. The court will be following your career from hereon with avid interest."

Thereafter, he leaned back once more against the throne, observing her response. It was rather plain to see that he was taking her measure.

Goriad smiled as he saw the stumbling noblewomen and the looks between her and Sir Myr. "To Astrum he replied."

Goriad nodded thoughtfully, "Interesting. Lately several in Astrum ventured here, yet you wish to reverse the travel?"

He paused for a moment, before he continued again: "There is much to do in Astrum and the north, it depends on what you seek over there."

Imperial Court

Two thoughts ran through Veronica's mind as she was kneeling in front of the Emperor.

One, will she die of embarrassment now or later and two, she should really have not worn this dress, it was fit for a banquet or a ball not court, and so she found herself  in a situation. She couldn’t get up.

The folds of the dress had gone everywhere when she bowed so low and she could not get the right footing to get up. So engrossed was she with this problem, she only caught some of his Majesty’s words to her until “she fights in the name of the Kingdom of Perdan” reached her ears.

Slowly lifting her head she made eye contact with the Emperor, some strand of her red hair hanging over her eye, she tried to blow it away but it just settled in the same place. The Emperor was leaning back in his throne waiting her response.

Putting some steel behind her words she said “The Perdan issue your Majesty I will leave in the capable hands of by brother and that of the North.”

Veronica narrowed her eyes as she glared at the Emperor, she had the feint inkling that he knew she couldn't actually rise by herself. He did seem to have a sly smile on his face.

"I seek to learn, Sir Goriad." - Myr crossed his arms, beaming - "Most legendary warrior of the continent has been kind enough to take me into his tutelage of martial matters. Other than that there are different experiences in the north than there are here. Man ought to gather as much experience in his life as he can, wouldn't you agree?"

Roleplay from Marjorie de Chevalier

Dame Marjorie was visibly relieved as she retreated from the battlefront that was the throne room with her liege lord, King Matthew. As they were once more breathing the free air, she made certain that she would always walk half a step behind the King of Earth Hall; in recognition of his station and of hers, regardless of her liege's egalitarian ideas. "It will be my honour, indeed," Marjorie affirmed, with such a sincerity to her voice that one might think she had not understood that Matthew was jesting at all. "I hope that I will learn much through my travels with you, my liege."

"I recieved words that I had been reassigned from the Emperor's Will to another army, the Iuvenilis Attingas Parvulorum. It is not my place to ask, and please forgive me for doing so, but I wonder: why?"

Marjorie nodded silent greetings to the passing guards of the palace as the duo made for the streets of Askileon, but beyond that her attention was firmly fixed on King Matthew.

"The most legendary warrior of the continent," Goriad repeated "There are but a few who could ever fit such a description, but given the current situation I would assume Lord Karibash will return to Astrum then with you?"

He smiled for a moment "The north will have different challenges in part, although they too suffer from the invasions of monsters. It will be good for you to visit foreign lands and learn of their culture. Upon entry I would speak to Dragomir, he is known to be just and kind."

"Dragomir..." - Myr repeated - "I will take your advice, good Sir. And yes, King Karibash is on his way already, I believe."

Myr looked around and saw several of the guests already departed. "If you don't mind, Sir Goriad, I will be on my way. Nightly ships are not as easy to catch as one would think - darkness gets in the way." - Young knight bowed slightly and steadily walked towards the door.

Goriad nodded to the young knight "Give King Karibash my regards and stay safe on your journeys. Perhaps we shall meet again."

As Myr walked away Goriad looked through the room again and he saw that most of highest station had left the room and mostly merchants and lower nobility remained. He had seen enough for today and as such he left almost as silently as he had entered, accompanied by two wealthier merchants as he had asked them for a ship to travel west and they saw an opportunity for more profit.

So there is a bit of fire behind the timidity, he noted. His words had been an open provocation, and she had taken to it without any hesitation. She was even glaring at him; now that was certainly a first, since he had taken to the throne.

"Perdan is an ocean away from Luria. As are Highmarch and all its other enemies," he began calmly. "I have no personal investment in their war, nor should I. This is Dwilight, and we have our own concerns - something I trust you will understand while you are here."

Thereafter, he cocked a brow openly at her attempts to regain an even footing, which appeared to influence the direction of his next words.

"In Luria, Lady Veronica, we all rise or fall based on our own merits. Whether you are Lurian by birth, or some the democracy of Highmarch, or anywhere else, what you do and how you serve will define you here. Though we will all pave the path to our future together, we must - all of us - stand on our own two feet."

Though he had begun to slip into a monologue, it was readily apparent that he had a clear belief in the words he spoke.

Roleplay from Bennet Selemnir

Bennet walked through the doors of the Suzerain's palace. Several knights passed by on their way out. He did not know their faces. They all bowed in deference, which was appropriate.

He crossed the hall, as silence descended. The tension in the air was as palpable as it was unnecessary. He looked at his boots, and at the trail begind him. So much mud. He should have checked that. An embarrassment to be apologized for later. But the front was muddy, and at least it was not blood.

Suzerain Emperor Nicholas sat the throne. He crossed slowly, the man was being whispered to by an attendant, and had not noticed him. He noted the man looked a little tired. Not an unfamiliar look, his duties had drawn him to the here and there for months, and the weight of the crown could not be easy. It suited him though. In a way Bennet did not anticipate. He hid his smile, as he always did.

A hush fell over the court. Bennet was aware his lack of declaration for one party or another in the upheavals had made him popular to some, and less so to others.

He made eye contact with his friend. There were few he considered that, but this was one. They both knew that; whatever else.

The gaze lingered. The breath in the hall was held. Bennet put his hand on his sword.

A gasp from the attendants.

He paused.... and laid it on his knee as he knelt.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:01:48 AM by Jored »
Rand Gardarr/Tam Gardarr/Veronica Gardarr
Highmarch/Bara'Khur/Luria Nova